Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Cable Hanging Behind Drivers Rear Wheel

12-26-2019, 11:13 AM   #1
Sputnick
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Cable Hanging Behind Drivers Rear Wheel

[[IMG][/IMG]

Merry Xmas.

Forgive my ignorance but took delivery last Friday, all good so far. However, noticed a cable hanging behind the rear wheel.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Thank you
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Looks like someone wanted to help you do the golf tee mod. That’s probably the cable that connects to the exhaust and controls the flap. Disconnect it when the flap is open and your exhaust sounds sporty.
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
JohnBarny
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 420d + G21 330i

Exhaust flap cable like above just plug it back in
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2019, 12:32 PM   #4
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

to add a little more info to what others have already shared....

This is the plug that controls your exhaust flap - left plugged in the exhaust flap will open and close depending on your driving mode (eco, comfort, sport etc...). If it is unplugged the exhaust flap will stay in whatever position it was in when unplugged.

Many people like the valve to always be open which will give you a little more sporty sound.

Your next steps
* if you don't want the flap to always be open simply plug it back in and you are done (see picture below with arrow)
*if you do want the flap to always be open take a look in your exhaust pipe and determine if the flap is open or closed, if already open (see picture below) tuck that cable out of the way and you are done
*if you want the flap to always be open and it is currently closed, plug the cable back in, start your car and put it in sport+ mode (or whatever your highest sport mode is) maybe drive it a bit and then take a look at the flap and when you determine that it is open, turn the car off and unplug the cable

Hope this helps
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      12-26-2019, 03:17 PM   #5
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

How on earth did that come already disconnected if they had just taken delivery of a new G20?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 03:38 PM   #6
Sputnick
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ View Post
How on earth did that come already disconnected if they had just taken delivery of a new G20?
Exactly.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 03:40 PM   #7
Sputnick
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post

This is the plug that controls your exhaust flap - left plugged in the exhaust flap will open and close depending on your driving mode (eco, comfort, sport etc...). If it is unplugged the exhaust flap will stay in whatever position it was in when unplugged.

Many people like the valve to always be open which will give you a little more sporty sound.

Your next steps
* if you don't want the flap to always be open simply plug it back in and you are done (see picture below with arrow)
*if you do want the flap to always be open take a look in your exhaust pipe and determine if the flap is open or closed, if already open (see picture below) tuck that cable out of the way and you are done
*if you want the flap to always be open and it is currently closed, plug the cable back in, start your car and put it in sport+ mode (or whatever your highest sport mode is) maybe drive it a bit and then take a look at the flap and when you determine that it is open, turn the car off and unplug the cable

Hope this helps
Very informative, thank you. Will do my best in attempting to locate the cable socket.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 10:04 PM   #8
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post

Your next steps

Hope this helps
Very informative, thank you. Will do my best in attempting to locate the cable socket.
Glad it helped
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 02:11 AM   #9
Cranester1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M Sport

Does having it open all the time affect the car other than the noise it makes?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 02:48 AM   #10
Pezzer
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e

Looks to me like both of the plug and socket are already together in that picture, with the metal pins showing like that. If the signal is coming from the car those pins might be live. Looks like its been ripped off of the flap control unit.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 02:53 AM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezzer View Post
Looks to me like both of the plug and socket are already together in that picture, with the metal pins showing like that. If the signal is coming from the car those pins might be live. Looks like its been ripped off of the flap control unit.
Looks like that to me as well. Suspect some damage.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 05:28 AM   #12
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
That is quite shocking to be missed on a PDI by the dealer.
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2019, 07:02 AM   #13
Sputnick
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranester1983 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranester1983 View Post
Doesn't appear to but only had car for a week so still getting accustomed to it.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 07:05 AM   #14
Sputnick
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezzer View Post
Looks like that to me as well. Suspect some damage.
Taken to BMW dealer this morning. Advised that cable has been snapped and will require a complete new back box as cable can't be ordered separately. Will take 10 days to arrive from Germany.....
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2019, 12:00 AM   #15
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

I wonder how that was missed by PDI/QC!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 07:24 AM   #16
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnick View Post
Quote:
Exactly.
Yeah I feel for ya, did you enquire with your dealer about their PDI???
Appreciate 0