Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum Lease Excess Wear and Tear

01-05-2020, 11:12 PM   #1
Letterkenny
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i (ordered)

Lease Excess Wear and Tear

I’m looking to get into a M340i tomorrow and am debating if I should get the excess wear and tear. There are some threads about that within but they are a bit stale at this point. I was told by my dealer that it is $1,500 (cost was $1,350 or something) for $5,000 of protection. Would need to read the fine print but what does everyone do? I also heard that this would only cover 5 items from looking at other threads which makes it seem less worth while if you are trying to turn it in with low tread tires since that would count as 4 items. The major item I would be worried about is the windshield since you have to worry about camera calibration. My insurance has glass protection but will be testing it out on my Audi I’m turning in after getting this car so can’t really say total expense there. Any first hand users?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 07:41 AM   #2
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
This totally depends on how you treat your car and where you park/drive it. I always park away from anyone else and careful about not curbing my wheels so it always look pristine. If you live in the city and have to street park on a regular basis, it might be worth it for your bumper and wheels.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 09:27 PM   #3
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Yep, I did on my first lease and it was a waste, there was nothing that needed repairing outside of normal wear. As poster above me mentioned, if you take care of your car and don't park in bad areas, you don't need it. However, if you're the type who has burn mark on the seats, accessories missing, broken trimmings etc then you need it. You should know how you treat your cars based on priors unless this is your first car.

PS. As far as tires, you can buy good used tires for that purpose online when time comes for lease turn in if needed.One site that's good is https://www.bestusedtires.com/ Tires shouldn't be a concern for getting that wear and tire package.
      01-07-2020, 01:31 AM   #4
Letterkenny
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i (ordered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Yep, I did on my first lease and it was a waste, there was nothing that needed repairing outside of normal wear. As poster above me mentioned, if you take care of your car and don't park in bad areas, you don't need it. However, if you're the type who has burn mark on the seats, accessories missing, broken trimmings etc then you need it. You should know how you treat your cars based on priors unless this is your first car.

PS. As far as tires, you can buy good used tires for that purpose online when time comes for lease turn in if needed.One site that's good is https://www.bestusedtires.com/ Tires shouldn't be a concern for getting that wear and tire package.
Thanks for the tire link. Picked up the car today and decided against the wear and tear. This car will be garaged so hoping it will turn out well
Appreciate 0