Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions New BMW Buyer - Need Help Deciding Between M340i/M440i GC

01-23-2022, 09:56 PM   #1
Kheer
BMW Baby
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i GC, 2021 Sonata

New BMW Buyer - Need Help Deciding Between M340i/M440i GC

Hello! It’s a pleasure to be a part of the BMW community. This is my first time purchasing a BMW vehicle. A bit of background:

I recently graduated college and have landed a job that allows me to afford vehicles at this price point. I did months of research to see what kind of car I’d want and had decided on the M340i as it seems reliable with its B58 engine, good gas mileage, good trunk space, great performance, pretty much the best all arounder car. Recently, I saw the M440i GC and now I’m a bit lost on what I want between the two. I love the front end of the M340i, but the taillights/rear end of the M440i looks more appealing to me. I know that the interior is the same, engine is the same, power is basically the same, etc. I am just curious that in terms of looks alone, what would you guys prefer and why? What would make you turn your head more?

I would use this car as a daily driver maybe 70-80% of the time (still have my Toyota Corolla as a beater car) whether it’s commuting to work, personal pleasure, going out with friends, or family. Also of course, show it off here and there. I was hoping to get some insight from people on here since a lot of people seem knowledgeable about differences and styling in BMW.

Would appreciate your guys’ feedback, and once again, am happy to be joining this community as a proud new soon-to-be BMW owner!

EDIT: Happy to announce I have put in the order for a brand new 2022 BMW M440i Gran Coupe xDrive. Production is scheduled and I’ll most likely have it by May. Huge thanks to everyone for their inputs and opinions, helped me come to this choice

Last edited by Kheer; 02-07-2022 at 05:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 10:26 PM   #2
Tragen
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

I feel like the Gran Coupe only looks good in black.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 10:42 PM   #3
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Had a GC in the past (435) and loved the utility and uniqueness of it - have seen a few GCs on the road already and I'm a fan

That said I am also very much enamored with my M340 (after owning more BMWs than I care to admit - the m340 is special)

I know I'm not helping lol

Question: is used a consideration? If yes perhaps a used m340 that despite the current market has already absorbed a bit of depreciation would make the most financial sense
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 11:26 PM   #4
Kheer
BMW Baby
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Had a GC in the past (435) and loved the utility and uniqueness of it - have seen a few GCs on the road already and I'm a fan

That said I am also very much enamored with my M340 (after owning more BMWs than I care to admit - the m340 is special)

I know I'm not helping lol

Question: is used a consideration? If yes perhaps a used m340 that despite the current market has already absorbed a bit of depreciation would make the most financial sense
In a sense it does help. If I may ask, what makes the m340i more special compared to the other BMWs you have driven? Would love to hear your thoughts on it.

I wouldn’t consider buying used, purely because a lot of BMW owners are known for their lack of care/maintenance on their cars (it may be a stereotype but it seems to hold weight). There’s also times where the owners can be dishonest about what they’ve done with maintenance. A good example is people who tend to not even warm up the car and floor it immediately off their driveway, not giving a chance for the engine to warm up or the oil to bypass (or so I’ve heard). I also was gonna get it brand new because I’m going to keep the car long term, not worried much about the resale value since I wouldn’t plan on selling it for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 12:44 AM   #5
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

IMO I'd go with the M440GC. Practicality alone makes it the obvious choice for me. The rear hatch vs trunk. You can fit a lot of suprisingly bulkier items with the seats folded down.

If you're not concerned with practicality, then sure the M340 is a fine choice, but if practicality isn't at least somewhat of a concern then why not the M440 2-door coupe? If you say no, you need 4 doors for a kid / practicality, well, there's your answer.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 2
chenry2360.00
      01-24-2022, 01:12 AM   #6
Lakeside
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW 330i

I liked the M440i GC when I looked at it, but rear visibility was poor so I felt that outweighed the utility.
      01-24-2022, 02:53 AM   #7
jodandayo
Rep
Drives: N/A

Personally I like the M440i GC design better than the M340i. Trunk space and "uniqueness" factor of the gran coupe form factor are also winners for it. It also has a more modern look that will turn more heads IMO. There's something about the front and rear taillights that I feel are sleeker and more alluring. The sloped roofline also helps the car look sleeker from the side.

Personally I settled on the M340i for other considerations, but if you're asking about looks alone, I'd probably go with the M440i GC.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2022, 03:04 AM   #8
Kheer
BMW Baby
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
IMO I'd go with the M440GC. Practicality alone makes it the obvious choice for me. The rear hatch vs trunk. You can fit a lot of suprisingly bulkier items with the seats folded down.

If you're not concerned with practicality, then sure the M340 is a fine choice, but if practicality isn't at least somewhat of a concern then why not the M440 2-door coupe? If you say no, you need 4 doors for a kid / practicality, well, there's your answer.
Luckily I won’t have to use the trunk that often, though it is nice the amount of trunk space I’m getting in both cars. I prefer 4dr over 2dr in terms of me using this as a daily driver/family/friends car; something I can go out with my friends in. If it were more of a weekend car, I definitely would just go with a 2dr.

I guess I’m more so asking about the looks at this point, what looks better from the outside/exterior? What would make you turn your head and be like “wow that’s a nice car!”

Off topic but I saw what the revised 2023 M340i interior would look like and I’m not really digging the interior too much. One whole screen just seems weird for me personally (even tho I love how the UI/display looks compared to the 2022). Would you prefer the 2022 interior over the 2023 interior?
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2022, 03:18 AM   #9
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragen View Post
I feel like the Gran Coupe only looks good in black.
Yeah, right…
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
      01-24-2022, 06:16 AM   #10
no_whereman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I prefer the 3-series over the GC. The 3 has that classic BMW sedan design that I have always loved.

While I do like the 4-series in 2-dr, the GC design seems inelegant to me with that extra two doors. For me, the GC looks too much like a Mazda or other similarly shaped hatchbacks these days. But this is just my subjective opinion

And if you plan to carry tall passengers, the GC has slightly less headroom.
Appreciate 3
      01-24-2022, 06:37 AM   #11
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

OP - this might not be helpful: looks are subjective. Moreover most feedback here will obviously be biased. To use the cliche: beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To illustrate: I considered the M440i GC too but I couldn't get over the front grill; others find it appealing. Again this just underscores the fact that when it comes to aesthetics it is all subjective and a matter of personal preference.

I ended up going with the M340i (which of course could've used a more aggressive rare end just like the front.)

I can understand how conflicted you feel in terms of liking certain aspects of one model vs the other. It's a tough call. Suffice to say: I wouldn't go by votes, I'd get a car that makes *you* happy. That's the most important thing.
Appreciate 3
      01-24-2022, 10:42 AM   #12
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

I'm on the opposite side from you zazzau where I don't mind the grill at all, but good post and great point that it's subjective and ultimately people need to decide for themselves.

I DO think the GC "looks" just a smidge better than the M340 - for example, I like the rear lines and taillights better, it's not a matter of the grill.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2022, 10:55 AM   #13
Seaford
Permanently confused
Rep
Drives: 840i M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kheer View Post
Hello! It’s a pleasure to be a part of the BMW community. This is my first time purchasing a BMW vehicle. A bit of background:

I recently graduated college and have landed a job that allows me to afford vehicles at this price point. I did months of research to see what kind of car I’d want and had decided on the M340i as it seems reliable with its B58 engine, good gas mileage, good trunk space, great performance, pretty much the best all arounder car. Recently, I saw the M440i GC and now I’m a bit lost on what I want between the two. I love the front end of the M340i, but the taillights/rear end of the M440i looks more appealing to me. I know that the interior is the same, engine is the same, power is basically the same, etc. I am just curious that in terms of looks alone, what would you guys prefer and why? What would make you turn your head more?

I would use this car as a daily driver maybe 70-80% of the time (still have my Toyota Corolla as a beater car) whether it’s commuting to work, personal pleasure, going out with friends, or family. Also of course, show it off here and there. I was hoping to get some insight from people on here since a lot of people seem knowledgeable about differences and styling in BMW.

Would appreciate your guys’ feedback, and once again, am happy to be joining this community as a proud new soon-to-be BMW owner!
I wouldn’t say Tye G20 has ‘good trunk space’ - I would say it is barely adequate. If you need to haul anything around you may be disappointed - struggle to get a set of golf clubs in (I admit defeat in advance and drop the rear seat back) and anything like a pushchair won’t leave much space for anything other than small items.

Rear leg room isn’t the best either.

However…if you are young, free, single and don’t play golf….go for it!!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 10:55 AM   #14
jlapicki
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Front grill comparison....
Attached Images

2017 M2 - Alpine White / Black - SOLD
2001 e39 M5 - Titanium / Caramel - A "Keeper"
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2022, 11:11 AM   #15
TheKandyman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

I'll share some thoughts as others have, but I fully agree with zazzau that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and you need to get what *you* will enjoy.
  • The M440GC comes only in xDrive (for now) so if you like to do tail shenanigans, you'd want the M340 RWD.
  • If you like to brag about 0-60 numbers, go with the M340. The M440GC is heavier and a few fractions of a second slower.
  • If you'll be carrying your buddies in the back, consider that the M440GC has a sloping roofline and headroom might be tight for your tall buddies in the back. The M340 has more headroom in the back.
  • If you don't mind big grills and want a car with a little more style than the typical sedan looks, the M440GC is beautiful. You'll pay for those good looks though because the M440GC is more expensive than an equivalent spec M340 xDrive.
  • The huge hatch opening on the M440GC adds a good dose of practicality if you frequently carry gear.
  • The HK audio on the M440GC is 600W. On the M340 it is 464W. How much of a real-life difference does that make? I am not sure. Some will claim they notice a difference, just as some claim they notice a few fractions of a second in 0-60 numbers
I've ordered the M440GC - but that's just my preference.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 11:19 AM   #16
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKandyman View Post
[*]The HK audio on the M440GC is 464W. On the M340 it is 464W. How much of a real-life difference does that make? I am not sure. Some will claim they notice a difference, just as some claim they notice a few fractions of a second in 0-60 numbers [/LIST]I've ordered the M440GC - but that's just my preference.
Both RAM-based (G-chassis) HK systems are 464W. NBT-based (F-chassis) HK systems are 600W.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2022, 12:36 PM   #17
Subartje
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: mercedes

Very difficult choice indeed and I had to make the same choice recently... result.. waiting for delivery of m440i GC

For me the GC is nicer than the 340 but indeed... really very personal... I really love the grill but only in black saphir as it blends in nicely then (of course with all black accents in option).

Also, as the facelift is coming in the summer for the 3 series, also did not want to buy a version that is outdated in a couple of months.. also not sure I would like the one screen curved.., call me outfashioned but do like the bmw cockpit as is..

Driving wise they re pretty close but indeed 340 will probably a "bit" sportier as the 440i, due to the lower weight..

Gc is more practical in terms of trunk but 3 series is better for back seat passengers.

Price wise both cars were kind of the same and if I would have gone for the 3 it would have been the touring which was a bit more expensive.

Either way, after having read and seen tons of articles/videos, you cant go wrong with either 340 or 440... great cars and thus looking forward to drive my first beemer
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 12:51 PM   #18
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKandyman View Post

I've ordered the M440GC - but that's just my preference.
I thought you had ordered an IS500, what made you choose this in the end? Congrats BTW!
      01-24-2022, 01:44 PM   #19
TheKandyman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
I thought you had ordered an IS500, what made you choose this in the end? Congrats BTW!
Briefly so I am not stealing OP's thread: I was on wait lists for an IS500 but couldn't order one back then so I ordered a G26 in Nov last year as a "plan B". I could get an IS500 now but I want to wait until my ordered G26 arrives (it is currently at the port in Bremerhaven) to make the final decision. I have also been getting out of my V8 nostalgia craze and realizing that the G26 is probably a better car for me. I keep my cars for 8 - 10 years and this is likely going to be my last ICE purchase so I wanted to end it with a v8 bang. However, there is a lot more to factor into a daily drive choice than just a sweet sounding v8. So what was initially my "plan B" is shaping up to be the one .

Last edited by TheKandyman; 01-24-2022 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
EXE462101.50
      01-24-2022, 05:46 PM   #20
R_mag
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i

At first I didn’t care for the new front end based on the photos I had seen online. However, seeing the new GC in person was stunning IMO. Picked it up for my girl and we love it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-25-2022, 11:05 AM   #21
drseuss19
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 x3, 2021 M340i, 2022 M440

I actually had the M340i and traded it in for the new M440i GC. My reasoning is that the GC is more unique than the M340i. The 3 series in my opinion just blended in as just another car which is fine, but for the price I wanted something a little more distinct. The GC provided that. It's much more aggressive looking it's wider, the side profile isn't just bland color but is broken up by functioning vents. I also like the hatch far more than I had expected.

I will so, the M340i is a bit faster and a bit more agile than the GC. However not in such a way that you'll ever really care, but it is noticeable if you really pay attention to how your car moves when you drive it.

If I were you and all things even, I'd go the GC. Its a much more visually appealing car to the majority of people. The BMW snobs that harp on the frontend are a very very small minority. I think I had one compliment on my M340i... I pretty much hear something every single time I take out the M440i GC. Mine is Brooklyn grey with extended shadow line and I also had my rims blacked out.
Appreciate 2
      01-25-2022, 01:00 PM   #22
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i RWD

If you can live with the front end, then GC is better IMO.

Had a F36 435 before and loved the hatch, practicality and the lower/wider stance. The wider opening was just some much easier to use when you need to put anything bigger than a grocery bag.

I skipped M440i because i cannot stand the front end, in picture or in person.

But looks are subjective...
Appreciate 0