Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications High-flow catted downpipe with error code

04-26-2024, 11:29 AM   #1
Gryph8n
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M440i xdrive, X5, Acura MDX

Garage List
High-flow catted downpipe with error code

I installed an Evolution Racewerks downpipes on my M440i and then a Big Daddie's mini-cat which removed the cattless downpipe error code but now have a new error codes. Anyone know that these mean and what is the fix besides getting a different downpipe? Thanks

12AF20 Lambda probe after catalytic converter: signal fixed on grease.

12B701 Lambda probe heating after catalytic converter, function: internal resistance too high.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 03:48 PM   #2
Info@mad-us.com
Major General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryph8n View Post
I installed an Evolution Racewerks downpipes on my M440i and then a Big Daddie's mini-cat which removed the cattless downpipe error code but now have a new error codes. Anyone know that these mean and what is the fix besides getting a different downpipe? Thanks

12AF20 Lambda probe after catalytic converter: signal fixed on grease.

12B701 Lambda probe heating after catalytic converter, function: internal resistance too high.
Sounds like the sensor may have gone bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 07:24 PM   #3
GA/\/\/\/\A_CT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘20 m340ix

Are you tuned?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 02:13 PM   #4
Gryph8n
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA/\/\/\/\A_CT View Post
Are you tuned?
Yes JB4 tuned
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 07:27 PM   #5
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many BMWs

Interestingly, while some high-quality aftermarket catted DPs (I'm running one) will not throw a CEL for emissions if the car is stock, now we move onto the next issue. That is, if the car is modified, they (aftermarket catted DPs) cannot keep up oftentimes with the heat issue. There is a post-cat heat signal that throws a CEL because the aftermarket cats can't dissipate the heat to the extent that the factory software desires. It makes sense to me that, unlike OEM cats, the catalyst in aftermarket ones is smaller and therefore generates more heat.

Options as I understand: eliminate this CEL via software, opt for a stock DP or go catless? Perhaps catted aftermarket DPs are best for stock performance levels and that wonderful sound

I always assumed emissions were the only issue but now heat is a variable as well for the post-cat sensor.

Maybe one of the DP/Exhaust forum sponsors here can put a bow on this and explain emissions vs heat on a modified car (piggyback or flashed)

Last edited by RTPenland; 04-27-2024 at 09:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 08:37 AM   #6
Gryph8n
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPenland View Post
Interestingly, while some high-quality aftermarket catted DPs (I'm running one) will not throw a CEL for emissions if the car is stock, now we move onto the next issue. That is, if the car is modified, they (aftermarket catted DPs) cannot keep up oftentimes with the heat issue. There is a post-cat heat signal that throws a CEL because the aftermarket cats can't dissipate the heat to the extent that the factory software desires. It makes sense to me that, unlike OEM cats, the catalyst in aftermarket ones is smaller and therefore generates more heat.

Options as I understand: eliminate this CEL via software, opt for a stock DP or go catless? Perhaps catted aftermarket DPs are best for stock performance levels and that wonderful sound

I always assumed emissions were the only issue but now heat is a variable as well for the post-cat sensor.

Maybe one of the DP/Exhaust forum sponsors here can put a bow on this and explain emissions vs heat on a modified car (piggyback or flashed)
Thanks for your insight. Getting these errors now so what you said makes sense.

139001 Lambda probe after catalyst, from fat to lean: delayed reaction
12B701 Lambda probe heating after catalytic converter, function:
internal resistance too high
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:14 PM   #7
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
How long did you drive the car before this new error message showed up?
Appreciate 0