Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Vibration at 55mph after brake pads replacement?

11-25-2023, 10:55 AM   #1
bfiv8
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i, '18 971 4S

Vibration at 55mph after brake pads replacement?

Hello everyone,

I've replaced both brake pads last week and I'm experiencing a noticeable vibration at a constant speed between 55 and 65mph right after the front brake pads replacement. Didn't notice any vibration when I left my car at the shop to let them perform a replacement of rear brake pads in which I'm assuming that something went wrong during front pads replacement (because fronts were replaced the next business day). Even the rear seat passengers can feel the vibration, although it is more prominent on the front seats. This happens with no pedal engagement, so basically the vibration is present during coasting at a constant speed. Going beyond 65mph or below 55mph gives no problem at all, but the vibration is present at 55mph the most and gradually goes down until it hits 65mph when it disappears.

I did some research over this week and it seems like the existing problem corresponds to the brakes (either it be warped rotors or calipers not engaging properly. I also found out that the car might need re-balancing of the wheels/tires to let the vibration go away but it was quite odd given that mine was performed with a road-force balancing last week along with replacement of rear brake pads. Maybe low thread on rear tires, but I doubt it'll be the case since the vibration suddenly came up after the replacement of front brake pads.

I need some insights from you guys. What might be some culprits? Any help would be greatly appreciated 🙏🏻 Happy belated thanksgiving yall!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 11:44 AM   #2
jpowers36
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

How many miles on it?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 02:52 PM   #3
Stag77
Private
Rep
Drives: '24 M340i XDrive

It could be a lot of things, unfortunately, like worn tires or poor alignment. My first guess would be the tires being unbalanced, but you've just had them balanced. Maybe have the balance checked to make sure it was performed properly?

I highly doubt it's your rotors, as you'd have felt them long before switching pads. I'd say your best bet is to bring it back to the shop and raise your concerns with them.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 03:03 PM   #4
bfiv8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpowers36 View Post
How many miles on it?
Hey dude, got 34k miles on it!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 03:05 PM   #5
bfiv8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stag77 View Post
It could be a lot of things, unfortunately, like worn tires or poor alignment. My first guess would be the tires being unbalanced, but you've just had them balanced. Maybe have the balance checked to make sure it was performed properly?

I highly doubt it's your rotors, as you'd have felt them long before switching pads. I'd say your best bet is to bring it back to the shop and raise your concerns with them.
Will definitely check with the shop on monday! It was super weird as all the vibration suddenly came up after front brake pad replacement
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 06:55 AM   #6
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Have them also check the tires over very carefully.

Had a similar problem once after BMW service and it turned out to be a large diameter screw/bolt that one tire picked up from the service bay floor. It wasn’t long enough to cause a puncture, but big enough to put the tire out of balance.
Appreciate 0