Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Valvetronic Designs - BMW G20/G22 M340i/M440i Valved Sport Exhaust System

03-22-2023, 10:39 AM   #1
jwl_m340_G20
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

B58 Community - the Valvetronic Designs full exhaust system is relatively new, and I have actually had this system on my car for over a year so I wanted to share some perspectives. For context I drive a 2020 M340, and as you know 2021's were de-tuned (sound) by the factory as US regulators pressed BMW on emissions... so I will have a friend chime in who drives a 2021 and has had the system for the same period of time.

I do want to make clear this review is entirely un-biased, and I am looking to help share my experience with those looking to unleash their beast.

So let's get into it... here's my thoughts around the system:
- Valvetronic really has this exhaust system figured out - the tone is incredible and it is LOUD (when you want it to be, that’s the great part)
- This is a FULL system - that means cat-back exhaust and a new mid-pipe that is far less restrictive than the OEM mid-pipe. While some may complain on cost, do keep this in mind… other brands are just selling you a cat-back system (no mid pipe)
- Valves open, this car sounds amazing WOT in regards to both pitch and healthy burbles (we aren't talking 330i crackle tunes lol). I have friends with Dinan, AWE, etc. and have tried these systems along with (i) OEM and (ii) M Performance (MPE). There is no comparison. Every time we go on a cruise I get a comment from another M340 owner "why do you have to remind me you have the best sounding M340 around every time we drive together?" - this is no BS
- Valves are the most convenient thing I have ever purchased - I can turn on my car in the morning, go to dinner with my girlfriend who hates loud cars, drive with our puppy who gets scared of loud noises. Then we go to Mexico and this thing screams...
- The piping that enables the car to contain sound so well with valve closed also contains sound so well that there is ZERO drone. Seriously, at first I though the system was quiet until I had my friend tell me to step out of the car and listen to him drive it by me... and shit did my jaw drop and grin was ear to ear
- This system adds real power, most exhaust systems do not add anything of substance - by having a far less restrictive mid-pipe, notably smaller muffler relative to the massive OEM suitcase muffler, the turbo spools notably faster, power gains have been dyno proven and the snail sounds are incredible
- This system entirely passes emissions testing, no concerns as long as you continue to have stock cats or a high flow catted downpipe that guarentees no CEL (Active Autowerke for example)

I really would consider this system - it may be a bit more pricey, but it really was worth every penny and I am not sure I will ever go with another exhaust brand outside of Valvetronic on any of my BMWs going forward. Give me a shout if you have any questions!

Link for reference: https://valvetronic.com/products/bmw-g20-m340i

FYI, this sounds equally as good and nearly identical on MKV Supra (as you’d imagine).

Last edited by jwl_m340_G20; 03-22-2023 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 2
alexg2010.00
Ezmolaw30.00
      03-22-2023, 11:22 AM   #2
g20_project
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

I agree.

I drive a 2021 and coming from the MPE, this exhaust was a big step up. MPE valves are really pointless and don’t change the sound much or at all. With Valvetronic I got the perfect rumble through the entire rpm range (on my 2021 it definitely shines at higher rpm) and it is quieter than oem with the valves closed which is perfect for my neighbors lol. Fitment is great even with aftermarket diffusers (I run it with CMST carbon diffuser)

Definitely worth it.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2023, 12:14 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2023, 04:47 PM   #4
Willetts1023
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw m3401

I purchased this exhaust before I even bought the car 🤣. It is absolutely perfect. 2021s were indeed neutered. This exhaust makes up for some of that neutering with a healthy dose of burbles and pops. Not as much as 2020s but still sounds excellent. I can’t wait to pair it with an AA catted downpipe. Just got to get the funds up first 🤣
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2023, 05:09 PM   #5
NotTheRealSmitty
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

I completely agree! I came from an AWE Track Exhaust, which was also pretty loud and had some pretty good pops and bangs. The downside was the drone that came with it, I couldn't casually drive around without sounding basically like a tractor. I considered going back to stock but then I ended up purchasing the Valvetronic exhaust which gave me the best of both options, I can be as quiet as stock with the valves closed so there is no drone while commuting to work. Then if I wanted to go out for a nice spirited drive I can just open the valves up and be as loud as I'd like with all the pops and burbles.

That has to be my favorite part of the exhaust the flexibility between being super loud and to quiet is great!

Here is the link to the exhaust: https://valvetronic.com/products/bmw-g20-m340i
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2023, 08:02 PM   #6
g20_project
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willetts1023 View Post
I purchased this exhaust before I even bought the car 🤣. It is absolutely perfect. 2021s were indeed neutered. This exhaust makes up for some of that neutering with a healthy dose of burbles and pops. Not as much as 2020s but still sounds excellent. I can’t wait to pair it with an AA catted downpipe. Just got to get the funds up first 🤣
I have it with AA dp. Great setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 08:33 PM   #7
jwl_m340_G20
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Thank you for the review
Of course! Happy to help. The Valvetronic team really has these systems dialed…
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 08:36 PM   #8
jwl_m340_G20
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Love that you bought it before the car… you have your priorities straight 😂. Toss a downpipe and you’ll be blown away by the sound… even on a stock tune
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 08:42 PM   #9
MiniM3._
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i

Definitely the best choice for performance exhaust systems for this platform. The ability to be to switch between being crazy loud or silent still get me to this day. Definitely worth it 10/10
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2023, 03:35 AM   #10
Sierra055
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 SSG, 2021 Audi SQ7

How does this work with the factory valves no longer being required? The box I assume the the Valvetronic valves connect to seems quite large too, is this intended to be located in the trunk or elsewhere? It's a nice looking system but this put me off a bit. I'd definitely prefer to retain the OEM valves to avoid errors or having superfluous hardware being tucked away.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 06:22 AM   #11
g20_project
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra055 View Post
How does this work with the factory valves no longer being required? The box I assume the the Valvetronic valves connect to seems quite large too, is this intended to be located in the trunk or elsewhere? It's a nice looking system but this put me off a bit. I'd definitely prefer to retain the OEM valves to avoid errors or having superfluous hardware being tucked away.
The box goes in the trunk near the battery. The car will not give you a visible error for not using the oem valves. What I mean is that you don’t have any lights on, but if you run codes for example on JB4, it’ll give you a exhaust flap error which is not a big deal at all, and does not affect your warranty in any way.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 08:10 AM   #12
jwl_m340_G20
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g20_project View Post
The box goes in the trunk near the battery. The car will not give you a visible error for not using the oem valves. What I mean is that you don’t have any lights on, but if you run codes for example on JB4, it’ll give you a exhaust flap error which is not a big deal at all, and does not affect your warranty in any way.
So the box / electronics wire directly to the battery in your trunk. The system comes with a clicker such that you can control whether the valves are open at the click of a button under any driving mod (comfort, sport, eco).

There is a chance it may throw a code (it has come up before when I’ve done diagnostics for other things), but it’s a “phantom code” recognizing the OEM valves aren’t plugged in. No issues whatsoever and the same would happen with any manually controlled Valved system.

Let me know if you have more questions… hopefully that answered what you were looking for
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 09:01 PM   #13
Willetts1023
Rep

It does produce the phantom code. But doesn’t affect the car in any way. I have my valves wired with the included 12v adaptor the kit comes with and plugged into the 12v outlet in the trunk. It works perfect.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2023, 07:59 PM   #14
B58Medina
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 m340i xdrive

Garage List
2023 bmw M340  [9.75]
2020 bmw 330I  [0.00]
Quote:
It does produce the phantom code. But doesn’t affect the car in any way. I have my valves wired with the included 12v adaptor the kit comes with and plugged into the 12v outlet in the trunk. It works perfect.
How did you wire the wires from the control box down to the valves?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 09:48 PM   #15
Insane435
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435ix M Sport EWG

Glad the system seems to be working for you. I had a bad experience with Valvetronic and I know a few others who did as well. Their fitment is known to be poor, just search around the forums.

I ordered an exhaust form them when it said i stock on the website. It didnt ship for weeks and then went out of stock. Once I received the exhaust from them it was missing parts. When I finally got the parts, I installed the system and it sounded terrible. I literally took it off within a week.

They have horrible communication as well. I would avoid them at all costs.

I am willing to bet the design of the exhaust on the M340 drones. The dinan exhaust drones and its designed the exact same way.

Edit: LOL it comes with vacuum controlled valves..
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2023, 04:16 AM   #16
Willetts1023
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane435 View Post
Glad the system seems to be working for you. I had a bad experience with Valvetronic and I know a few others who did as well. Their fitment is known to be poor, just search around the forums.

I ordered an exhaust form them when it said i stock on the website. It didnt ship for weeks and then went out of stock. Once I received the exhaust from them it was missing parts. When I finally got the parts, I installed the system and it sounded terrible. I literally took it off within a week.

I am willing to bet the design of the exhaust on the M340 drones. The dinan exhaust drones and its designed the exact same way.

I have no drone with my system, with the valves closed its quiet and with the valves open it is louder than the MPE that i had on when i bought the car maybe you had just had a bad experience. they were very prompt with me in regards to questions i had in regards to the system and how to route the wires. i had no issues in regards to fitment either. everything lined up perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 06:15 AM   #17
Printertom
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive Tanz Blue

Can the Valvetronic use the sport button for the valves?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 10:28 AM   #18
Willetts1023
Rep

It doesn’t use the factory valve system it uses a vacuum system
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 12:54 PM   #19
Valvetronic Designs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Thank you all for the support! We are absolutely stoked so many of you are enjoying the system
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 12:57 PM   #20
Valvetronic Designs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:

We are sorry to hear you feel this way. Roughly 2 years ago when you had this issue we definitely had a lot to learn and have taken experiences like yours to work on better practices so we can become the best company we can be. We will never be perfect, but we look forward to earning your trust and support in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 01:11 PM   #21
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:

Hey, a not almost new or barely used account posting feedback. So many sus posts in this thread that look like fake fluff above yours. I'll give it some time to see some real reviews with photos, videos, etc

It does suck that they didn't integrate the OEM valves though
Appreciate 1
Insane435476.50
      03-29-2023, 02:11 PM   #22
Insane435
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435ix M Sport EWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by siegester View Post
Hey, a not almost new or barely used account posting feedback. So many sus posts in this thread that look like fake fluff above yours. I'll give it some time to see some real reviews with photos, videos, etc

It does suck that they didn't integrate the OEM valves though
I suspect its VT making fake accounts.
Appreciate 0