Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Automatically trigger garage door opener

02-26-2020, 06:31 PM   #1
haruny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Automatically trigger garage door opener

I searched but I wasn't able to find.
Is there a way to automatically trigger a homelink garage opener based on where you are? Like the camera activation point?
      02-26-2020, 08:15 PM   #2
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Garage List
No. Not from the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 10:51 AM   #3
mrkrad
Old Geezer!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i PB MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruny View Post
Is there a way to automatically trigger a homelink garage opener based on where you are? Like the camera activation point?
Quote:
Might be able to use a CarPlay automation to do something similar
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 03:55 PM   #4
haruny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrad View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Great idea! I was thinking using Home Assistant but this is better.
      02-27-2020, 07:45 PM   #5
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
HomeKit automations won't let you open the garage door automatically. It's designed like that for security reasons of course. It will show you a notification on your phone asking if you want to run the automation instead, so you still have to manually trigger it.

With iOS 13, you would have a garage door button on your CarPlay Dashboard when you are at home. Still, you have to tap on it manually.

If you already have Home Assistant, this would be the way to achieve what you are looking for. (If you don't have HA, then I do suggest you do set it up!).

If you have a camera pointing at your driveway, you can make it even better by only triggering your "open garage door" automation when the driveway camera detects motion!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 11:44 PM   #6
haruny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 902 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
HomeKit automations won't let you open the garage door automatically. It's designed like that for security reasons of course. It will show you a notification on your phone asking if you want to run the automation instead, so you still have to manually trigger it.

With iOS 13, you would have a garage door button on your CarPlay Dashboard when you are at home. Still, you have to tap on it manually.

If you already have Home Assistant, this would be the way to achieve what you are looking for. (If you don't have HA, then I do suggest you do set it up!).

If you have a camera pointing at your driveway, you can make it even better by only triggering your "open garage door" automation when the driveway camera detects motion!
I have HA for quite some time. I was able to get connecteddrive hooked on to HA and it shows cars location (along with many interesting stuff such as door/window status, fuel and range). I'm not sure how frequently it updates the gps location. Need to test it out. Probably best way would be to automate arrival of the car to home to open the garage door.
      02-28-2020, 12:45 AM   #7
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 902 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have HA for quite some time. I was able to get connecteddrive hooked on to HA and it shows cars location (along with many interesting stuff such as door/window status, fuel and range). I'm not sure how frequently it updates the gps location. Need to test it out. Probably best way would be to automate arrival of the car to home to open the garage door.
I didn't suggest that on purpose. It won't work how you want it to, unfortunately.

The car doesn't update its location while it's moving. Only after certain events like locking and unlocking the car. So it will only update the car's location after you get home and get out of your car, which by then would be too late.

Using your phone's location (through the HA companion app) works reliably enough for this to work, at least it does for me.
Appreciate 1
haruny96.50
      02-28-2020, 06:45 AM   #8
37b
☠️
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

One thing I've seen done is to set a smart switch to trigger when you arrive at home then set a scene to open the garage door whenever that switch is triggered. It bypasses the verification.

Personally, I wish I could set it so Siri would ask if I want her to open the garage door as I arrive at home so I can just say yes for confirmation.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 08:11 AM   #9
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

I don't do it but doesn't the car have the ability to turn on certain cameras based on location?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 11:56 AM   #10
haruny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
I don't do it but doesn't the car have the ability to turn on certain cameras based on location?
yes. My question was about activating the garage opener based on location.
      02-28-2020, 01:46 PM   #11
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Right. I was more answering this (sorry, I should have quoted it)

The car doesn't update its location while it's moving. Only after certain events like locking and unlocking the car. So it will only update the car's location after you get home and get out of your car, which by then would be too late.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 07:37 PM   #12
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
Quote:
Right. I was more answering this (sorry, I should have quoted it)

The car itself knows where it is all the time of course. What I meant was updating its location with bmw's connected drive servers.
Appreciate 0