Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The Sports Lounge For those who thought Barry Bonds was on steriods...

03-07-2006, 09:49 PM   #23
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Yup, agreed, Bavarian

It's ridiculous that you can just buy your way into world series championships (e.g. the Yankies).

I'm also not a big fan of the variations of two different leagues (e.g. pinch hitters). Standardize things for once, damn. Same goes with golf. Standardize the clubs, make everybody use the same gear. Snowboarding, skiing, ice skates - even running shoes. That for sure will make *skill* and only *skill* the deciding factor among the best of the best.

The whole sports domain is corrupt in some kind of way. Nothing will ever be fair.
      03-07-2006, 10:07 PM   #24
ThreeBimm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325 xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
Yup, agreed, Bavarian

It's ridiculous that you can just buy your way into world series championships (e.g. the Yankies).

I'm also not a big fan of the variations of two different leagues (e.g. pinch hitters). Standardize things for once, damn. Same goes with golf. Standardize the clubs, make everybody use the same gear. Snowboarding, skiing, ice skates - even running shoes. That for sure will make *skill* and only *skill* the deciding factor among the best of the best.

The whole sports domain is corrupt in some kind of way. Nothing will ever be fair.
First of all if you are going to pick on any team "buying" a world series championship it should be the Red Sox considering they are the team with the highest payroll to ever win a World Series.

Second of all, please take a long look at the last 5 World Series champions, save the Red Sox, and tell me how teams "buy" championships. No salary cap will ever work without a floor.

The fact that the Yankees and the Red Sox put money into the pockets of owners and not into poor teams is a perfect example of how fucked up the CBA is right now. They way it is currently structured helps no one.

I agree with the standardization point.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 10:43 PM   #25
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Oh, I'm not a Red Sox fan - I just pointed out the Yankees because they're quite notorious as a wealthy dynasty plowing their way through many world championships recently. I'm sure the Red Sox payed for their championship as well with their impressive roster (at the time). I would be quite damned if I live to see the day where a poor team with half the spending budget as the richest team takes the championship crown.
      03-08-2006, 07:55 AM   #26
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobechrome
You sure know alot about steroids....
am somewhat of a fitness nut so i've soaked in a ton of info

but in all honesty i don't care if they claim bonds shoots heroin before every game.... but if they start saying bonds shoots heroin into his eyeballs before every game.... when there's absolutly no way any self respecting heroin user would do that.... then i have an issue with them not getting the facts correct....
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 03:04 PM   #27
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spman montego

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
He is a fuckin Shit stain looser :mad:
      03-08-2006, 05:02 PM   #28
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RINALDS
First of all if you are going to pick on any team "buying" a world series championship it should be the Red Sox considering they are the team with the highest payroll to ever win a World Series.

Second of all, please take a long look at the last 5 World Series champions, save the Red Sox, and tell me how teams "buy" championships. No salary cap will ever work without a floor.

The fact that the Yankees and the Red Sox put money into the pockets of owners and not into poor teams is a perfect example of how fucked up the CBA is right now. They way it is currently structured helps no one.

I agree with the standardization point.
wrong. yankees have highest pay roll every year. followed by the red sox.

here's a break down of the last 5 years:

Boston Red Sox
Year Total Payroll
2005 $ 123,505,125
2004 $ 127,298,500
2003 $ 99,946,500
2002 $ 108,366,060
2001 $ 109,675,833

New York Yankees
Year Total Payroll
2005 $ 208,306,817
2004 $ 184,193,950
2003 $ 152,749,814
2002 $ 125,928,583
2001 $ 112,287,143

source: http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...s/default.aspx

yankees have made it into the world series 2 times within the last 5 years. if you go back 10 years, they've made it into the world series 6 times.

when ball players are offered a chance to play for the yankees, most times they'll take it. why? better chance of winning the world series.
      03-08-2006, 07:58 PM   #29
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

My argument was never pointing out a single team (even the Marlins was just an example)...

Its all the big market teams and their payrolls. How are my beloved Pirates supposed to compete when they can only afford 1/3 what the yanks/sox/ or any other large market team can... Its not going to happen.

So set a cap and a floor. They you will see a fluctuation of teams up and down over the course of time (as you should). This is part of the reason why I love football so much. There are new teams in the playoffs, and in most scenarios, new teams in the superbowl almost every year. Some teams might go on hot streaks (Steelers of the 70's, Pats, Cowboys in the 90's).

Most teams aleast have some hope of making the playoffs at the beginning of each season. Baseball, its just not possible anymore. I will go watch a Pirates game every time I go up to visit my family. I dont get into the league as a whole because of the lack of competition, and how its driving small market teams into the ground...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2006, 02:38 AM   #30
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
He comes off as quite the prick and its pretty obvious that he was looking pretty inflated when he was hitting the homers.

I'm not a baseball fan but its obvious that with no salary cap there will be a lot of lop-sidedness.

I just don't see the issue with regular drug testing for athletes, why do the MLB players refuse? The game isn't fun to watch if its not based on natural abilities and training.

And if I were an athlete, it would not be fun to play either I think. It would be like being involved in an arms race, except the arms are the next technological or medical advancement to give you an edge.
      12-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #31
Jeremiah
Rep
Drives: XLI

Steroid medication are unlawful, yes, we know, but when correspondents create it seem like they're these extremely performing medication that modify you in a times some time to create you obtain 50lbs in 3 several weeks is halarious.

Last edited by Jeremiah; 12-29-2012 at 08:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #32
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
Steroid medication are unlawful, yes, we know, but when correspondents create it seem like they're these extremely performing medication that modify you in a times some time to create you obtain 50lbs in 3 several weeks is halarious.
WTF post was 6 years old
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0