Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Traffic Jam Assist - how do you like it?

05-24-2019, 07:19 AM   #1
transcendid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i RWD

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Traffic Jam Assist - how do you like it?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
For those that spec'd their car to have traffic jam assist, how do you like it? I spend way too much of my time stuck in traffic commuting MD to VA and I am optimistically hoping this feature will make that more bearable, but want to hear some real world reviews.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 07:59 AM   #2
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcendid View Post
For those that spec'd their car to have traffic jam assist, how do you like it? I spend way too much of my time stuck in traffic commuting MD to VA and I am optimistically hoping this feature will make that more bearable, but want to hear some real world reviews.
Love it. Have it on 2 cars. had new X5 since December and in April bought 340 for my wife just to have new technology/

I used to hate all that stuff - drove manuals for 20 years
but in Boston traffic -

This is the feature I use the most.

It is the best in the business. If you understand how it works (use of cameras, not talking to other cars) you can easily use it. Its like a computer game.

The trick it

- set it up correctly
- use it to help you drive in traffic, do not fight it

it changes the commute

- reduces stress
- reduces the leg fatigue
- relaxes you

I now smile at people pissed off in traffic jerking left adn right, thinking - it was me 20 years ago
Appreciate 2
      05-24-2019, 09:24 AM   #3
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

What exactly do you mean by:

- set it up correctly

I have it coming and looking forward to it.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 09:48 AM   #4
Ilyam5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
What exactly do you mean by:

- set it up correctly

I have it coming and looking forward to it.
After you get the car, you have to play with a bunch of settings.

Set it up to your liking.

It has several levels of intervention: early, medium , late.
See which one you like the most. I use medium.

It has several levels of Steering wheel vibration. I use heavy

It has Steering assist. I turn it off for lane keep and keep it on for blind spot.

On the steering wheel you can set up distance and speed.
I set up distance to min in traffic and medium on highway.

you will also have 3 modes:

- dynamic cruise control
- cruise with lane assist ( hands on wheel every 2-3 min, i just touch it with my knee) - use this one all the time
- Assistance Plus - Traffic jam (only on divided highways) longer time hands free - car will pop message when available
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #5
Ilyam5
Major
Rep

On a second point - you kind of have to learn to use it.

My wife is still getting used to it, but i mastered it. (I guess i'm better at video games

Slowly learn it in slow traffic
Understand its limitations - it is not a global GPS/ talk to cars and the road system of the future - it is a camera based and radar based system.
Cameras read road markings, radar reads cars in front.
If no road markings - only car in front is the indicator - it will follow it blindly
If covered with dirt and snow it will have hick ups - keep it clean. Rain is OK
The trick is to trust it and use it to help you - i can now change lanes in super heavy traffic quicker and use it to keep me from getting too close to the cars in front.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 02:37 PM   #6
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcendid View Post
The "extended traffic jam assist" works pretty well.

It's only available on limited access highways (divided highways with on/off ramps, no stoplights). If you get into a traffic jam and you're going <40mph the car will alert you with an audio and visual indicator that you can use this feature if you choose to.

The car 100% drives itself. Starts, stops, turns, etc. The camera supposedly watches your eyes to make sure you're paying attention. If it thinks you aren't watching the road closely enough, it will alert you. Wearing dark sunglasses occasionally trips this alert for me (at least I think that's what's happening).

It works well but the car seems to stop short (full car length gap in stopped traffic jam) and it stops abruptly sometimes. You might irritate the person behind you if they insist on following you very closely. The stops aren't terrible but in slow stop and go traffic they just don't seem very fluid sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 03:02 PM   #7
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Have you seen a YouTube video that shows what it's actually like in the car? My dealer doesn't have any with the extended assist, want to see how good it is. I have a company Camry right now with the full stop cruise control and it's insane how much it helps in traffic and it doesn't steer for you at all. Can only imagine how nice it would be to have something that does almost all the work for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 03:31 PM   #8
Ilyam5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post
Have you seen a YouTube video that shows what it's actually like in the car? My dealer doesn't have any with the extended assist, want to see how good it is. I have a company Camry right now with the full stop cruise control and it's insane how much it helps in traffic and it doesn't steer for you at all. Can only imagine how nice it would be to have something that does almost all the work for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 12:43 PM   #9
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal79 View Post
It works well but the car seems to stop short (full car length gap in stopped traffic jam) and it stops abruptly sometimes. You might irritate the person behind you if they insist on following you very closely. The stops aren't terrible but in slow stop and go traffic they just don't seem very fluid sometimes.
I have an older system with only Active Cruise Control in my '14 F30, but I have 95k miles on it so I know it intimately.

I have found that you can mitigate the abruptness of stop&go traffic situations by increasing your follow distance. Of course this opens up another problem of people looking to jump into the gap in front of you. To deal with this I am usually managing the follow distance by manipulating the throttle (with the Cruise activated), as the brakes won't be applied if you're applying throttle. It's kind of nice to have the system apply brakes when I lift off the throttle. I call this 1-pedal driving mode.

Another automated driving tip in stop & go traffic is to follow rigs. They usually keep a more-consistent pace. The only issue I've found here is the reflector tape on the trailer bumpers will sometimes confuse my F30 for a moment. I assume the newer systems are better/smarter here.