Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Window tint triggering auto-dimming on both displays during the day

10-06-2019, 04:11 PM   #89
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiner0123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There has to be a way to at least disable the auto dim after all the car is a giant computer so it could definitely be disabled it's just a matter of how to do it..
Didn't you go to the dealership to fix this issue? What happened, yours isn't dimming now right?
No?? I took it in but didn't fix anything all they did was a update lol
Now I'm scared to get my windows tinted. Hopefully mines doesn't do that.
It's a pretty bad buzz kill honestly the car looks so good with tint but sometimes it literally dims to 0% brightness, same as the iDrive and it makes the dash look so unappealing,
Looks like not everyone has the issue though, so will see what happens when I tint them.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 04:20 PM   #90
Weiner0123
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i. 2013 328i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There has to be a way to at least disable the auto dim after all the car is a giant computer so it could definitely be disabled it's just a matter of how to do it..
Didn't you go to the dealership to fix this issue? What happened, yours isn't dimming now right?
No?? I took it in but didn't fix anything all they did was a update lol
Now I'm scared to get my windows tinted. Hopefully mines doesn't do that.
It's a pretty bad buzz kill honestly the car looks so good with tint but sometimes it literally dims to 0% brightness, same as the iDrive and it makes the dash look so unappealing,
Looks like not everyone has the issue though, so will see what happens when I tint them.
How amazing would it be if BMW took advantage of OTA updates and provided a quick fix for the issue...if only life was that easy lol
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 08:43 PM   #91
mzdial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G20 330i & '19 G01 X3

Garage List
I think the problem is a UV or IR issue -- and why some tints are causing the problem. I have noticed that when the sun is coming in from the side during certain times of the day, that there is less reflected UV or IR.

I was sitting at a light yesterday morning and it was dimmed completely down from the direction I was facing. As soon as I turned away from the sun coming in, the brightness went right back up. When the digital dash dims down, it is almost unreadable.

I'm really regretting the digital dashboard. I need tint due to medical conditions/benefit. Very frustrating.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-10-2019, 05:45 PM   #92
Glassy
E36, E46, E90, E92, F32
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzdial View Post
I think the problem is a UV or IR issue -- and why some tints are causing the problem. I have noticed that when the sun is coming in from the side during certain times of the day, that there is less reflected UV or IR.

I was sitting at a light yesterday morning and it was dimmed completely down from the direction I was facing. As soon as I turned away from the sun coming in, the brightness went right back up. When the digital dash dims down, it is almost unreadable.

I'm really regretting the digital dashboard. I need tint due to medical conditions/benefit. Very frustrating.

"I was sitting at a light yesterday morning and it was dimmed completely down from the direction I was facing. As soon as I turned away from the sun coming in, the brightness went right back up. When the digital dash dims down, it is almost unreadable."

-This is what I experience on a daily basis. Still ambiguous as to why some owners are experiencing this and others are not.
      10-10-2019, 06:56 PM   #93
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassy View Post
"I was sitting at a light yesterday morning and it was dimmed completely down from the direction I was facing. As soon as I turned away from the sun coming in, the brightness went right back up. When the digital dash dims down, it is almost unreadable."

-This is what I experience on a daily basis. Still ambiguous as to why some owners are experiencing this and others are not.
What are dealers saying about this? Is this a known issue with them too?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 11:08 AM   #94
mzdial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G20 330i & '19 G01 X3

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

My car has been into the dealer twice and I've brought this up. They said there is no adjustment to reduce sensitivity.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 11:43 AM   #95
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My car has been into the dealer twice and I've brought this up. They said there is no adjustment to reduce sensitivity.
Find that extremely hard to believe since the dim is triggered by brightness... there has to be a code to adjust it. You should call BMW genius to see if they have a recommendation or better yet even try a different dealer.

I like my windows extremely dark, one shade below limo that is, and this is getting concerning to read since I DO NOT want this issue to arise and I want to tint my windows as soon as I can.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 02:10 PM   #96
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Find that extremely hard to believe since the dim is triggered by brightness... there has to be a code to adjust it. You should call BMW genius to see if they have a recommendation or better yet even try a different dealer.
Quote:
Hey everyone,

Per the enclosed image, I think the auto-dim sensor is in this black portion next to the speedometer because when I put my hand over it, it dims everything and when I take my hand off, everything brightens up again.

Do you know if there's any way to turn off this auto-dim feature for the displays whether it be through a setting or coding? I imagine other owners who are tinting their windows are having the same issue?

Thanks in advance, guys!
You can place a piece of tape over the front and rear light sensors in the rear view mirror. This tricks the vehicle into believing its dark, thus, no need for auto-dimming to activate. This worked perfectly in a couple of my past BMW vehicles.

Also, when the interior map lights are on or the vehicle is placed in reverse, the mirrors does not dim, by design.

The coding parameters to electronically disable the auto dimming mirrors for the prior model BMW is:

FEM module>

ASP_ELEKTROCHROM_SPIEGELGLAS>

Nicht Aktiv (0X00)

But since the M340i doesn't use a FEM module, I assume it's in the BDC (Body Domain Controller) folder but I can't verify this since BimmerCode can't access the G20 ECU. It definitely can be coded out though, it just a matter of finding someone that can properly do it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 07:28 PM   #97
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I just had 35% XPEL nano ceramic film installed all around with Air 80% on the windshield and a 15% windshield strip. no issues so far
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2019, 01:40 PM   #98
Felipe Sena
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i M Sport (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
A onde vc mora no Brasil (...qual estado)?
Minas Gerais!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #99
Felipe Sena
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
Nice and sweet backdrop!!
Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #100
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe Sena View Post
Quote:
Minas Gerais!
Tá! Prazer amigão!
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2019, 07:55 PM   #101
chazbarrington
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:

Same here. I noticed when pointed north or south, usually in the morning, the display dims but not to a point where it's almost unreadable. East or west it's bright.

I too think it's IR or UV related because the amount of light coming into the car doesn't change that much depending on direction. I have 35% all around.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 08:35 PM   #102
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
You can place a piece of tape over the front and rear light sensors in the rear view mirror. This tricks the vehicle into believing its dark, thus, no need for auto-dimming to activate. This worked perfectly in a couple of my past BMW vehicles.

FEM module>

Nicht Aktiv (0X00)
Same parameter is found in BDC (CAFD_00007083).
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      10-16-2019, 10:32 AM   #103
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Quote:

FEM module>

Nicht Aktiv (0X00)
I'll try this tonight.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 08:41 PM   #104
premier3is
Major
Rep

Just had my windows tinted. Went with a basic 3M film (fx premium) and did 15% all around. It's pretty dark inside and out and I have no issues whatsoever with dimming.
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      10-19-2019, 03:58 PM   #105
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Quote:

FEM module>

Nicht Aktiv (0X00)
For those trying, this did not provide the desired results.

The hunt continues.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 07:02 PM   #106
Felipe Sena
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Minas Gerais!
Tá! Prazer amigão!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Minas Gerais!
Tá! Prazer amigão!
Sempre bom ver Brasileiros por aqui! Hahaha
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 09:45 PM   #107
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Minas Gerais!
Tá! Prazer amigão!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Minas Gerais!
Tá! Prazer amigão!
Sempre bom ver Brasileiros por aqui! Hahaha
Haha! Só na minha alma. Foi nasceu em America, mas eu tenho Brazil dentro meu coração. Sou Professor de Capoeira aqui.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2019, 01:23 PM   #108
Hydrogen
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Prem/Sport

Quote:

This is super disappointing coming from BMW engineering & design.

It's akin to how it took YEARS for BMW to figure out how to keep radio and climate controls from being illegible to those using polarized sunglasses. First experienced it in my E36 in 1998 and this wasn't resolved until the F30.

Now, the HUD's are doing the same thing years later until they realize some of us live in brighter sunlight climates than Germany.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 10:48 PM   #109
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Just got Suntek CXP 35% installed all around today. Noticed the dimming issue within the first 3 minutes of driving the car. Definitely super annoying, but no more annoying than being blinded by the sun several times a day while sitting in traffic. Couldn't go any longer without having tint.

Hoping for a coding solution soon, but in the mean time I plan to experiment with creating a small LED-based UV/IR blaster to trick the sensor into thinking it's seeing full sunlight.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 08:54 AM   #110
Sight22
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i xdrive

30% on sides and rear, 5% top strip on windshield. No issues.
Appreciate 0