Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) Rear diffuser and CF spoiler install labor

01-03-2020, 01:21 AM   #1
NoTanks52
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Rear diffuser and CF spoiler install labor

Sourcing parts from a local bmw dealership that then wants to charge $300 to install the spoiler and black gloss rear diffuser/bumper trim.

Is this a fair price? Or is the work straight forward enough that someone with limited experience can do it if I take my time and follow a tutorial/instructions?

Which of these two parts (spoiler or diffuser) are the harder of the two to do correctly and should most likely be done by a professional?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 05:59 AM   #2
Pacman123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mazda 3 , BMW M340i Xdrive

Haven't done a diffuser yet, would like to but that seems much more complex because of the screws that hold it in place.

The spoiler was easy enough but took alot of labor. Use fishing line to saw back and forth underneath the old one. Then use a hair dryer and elbow grease to get the old adhesive off. Clean the surface, apply adhesive tape to your new spoiler, line it up and apply. Took my almost two hours because the adhesive is a SOB to get off, but I'm glad I did it myself.
Appreciate 1
NoTanks52110.00
      01-03-2020, 04:19 PM   #3
miked1999
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
I'd look at the $300 investment from the standpoint of what your time is worth. I also spent 2+ hours removing the adhesive residue from the stock lip. Total bitch ache.

Replacing the spoiler is very straight forward, just a time consuming process. Kies Motorsports produces some quality how-to videos- here's one for this mod-

Here's a good video re. the diffuser... Looks relatively simple- just a few screws and tabs. Shouldn't give you much trouble.

Watch a few videos before you jump in. Take it slow. I think you're positioned for success if you elect to invest the time.

This stuff is addictive once you start. Post a few pics of the results. Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 06:33 PM   #4
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Given the pain of removing the adhesive, I would say it seems like a fair price from a dealer. That's about 2 hours of labor for them, and it would take most of us that long or longer to DIY.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 08:11 PM   #5
HyeM340i
Private
Rep

I paid 70 dollars for them to remove the spoiler and put on my CF one. Costed me 70 dollars, and it was from a reputable body shop that works on exotics.
Appreciate 1
NoTanks52110.00
      01-14-2020, 11:54 PM   #6
NoTanks52
Private First Class
Rep

I have the bumper trim and diffuser in hand now but I can't figure out how to un-clip the stock one. The video mentions using a pick tool to help, but does anyone know which type of pick tool will help remove the stock bumper trim clips without breaking anything?
Pick types I have access to - Hook / 90 Degree / Combination/ or Straight

Appreciate any help or advice you all can offer
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 01:48 PM   #7
BMKILLA
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked1999 View Post
I'd look at the $300 investment from the standpoint of what your time is worth. I also spent 2+ hours removing the adhesive residue from the stock lip. Total bitch ache.

Replacing the spoiler is very straight forward, just a time consuming process. Kies Motorsports produces some quality how-to videos- here's one for this mod-

Here's a good video re. the diffuser... Looks relatively simple- just a few screws and tabs. Shouldn't give you much trouble.

Watch a few videos before you jump in. Take it slow. I think you're positioned for success if you elect to invest the time.

This stuff is addictive once you start. Post a few pics of the results. Good Luck!
I followed these instructions. It's pretty easy, the only thing that was a pain were the screw tabs that hold the black undercover in position move about a bit, no big drama though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 05:15 PM   #8
NoTanks52
Private First Class
Rep

Appreciate the helpful responses - thanks all. I was able to remove the old bumper trim from my m340i this past weekend. Just used a plastic trim tool started on one corner and then gradually pulled the bumper trim off, using the trim tool for some of the clips when I got to the middle as they’re a little tougher to remove. I had friend help me, he applied pressure on the clips using the trim tool while I pulled them loose.

On a related note, the black gloss diffuser I ordered (part #51192455821) is not a perfect fit on the m340i
And despite what some sites show, might be only for the 330i. It clips into the bumper trim without issue but it has two screw tabs (1 on each side) that are underneath the car that don’t let the diffuser sit flush on the bottom. I ended up just cutting the extra tabs off and calling it a day so it's all good now - All the screws are in and the thing is secure and sits flush.

Last edited by NoTanks52; 01-22-2020 at 02:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 11:20 PM   #9
NoTanks52
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMKILLA View Post
That's disappointing to hear, I bought genuine parts because the after market diffuser I bought doesn't line up 100%. I have the oem diffuser now and about to order the bumper trim, I won't be happy if it doesn't line up correctly ��
The bumper trim is perfect but the black gloss diffuser isn't a perfect fit. I think bmw pushes you toward the $800 carbon fiber version for the m340i and gloss black is for the 330. It still worked out tho and I love the way it looks. Just sad that i had to cut those screw tabs on the diffuser off to make it fit. Be interested to hear how yours comes out.

With respect to the spoiler, I'll be taking the stock one off this weekend. Waiting for the betalink glue before I can put on the carbon fiber one. Will share photos once installed in the coming week.

Attached photos of what I cut to make it fit - The picture is of the carbon fiber diffuser (likely for the 330i), but just used it to show what im talking about.
Attached Images

Last edited by NoTanks52; 01-23-2020 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: Added photos for visual reference
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 01:19 AM   #10
BMKILLA
Enlisted Member
Rep

The bumper trim is perfect but the black gloss diffuser isn't a perfect fit. I think bmw pushes you toward the $800 carbon fiber version for the m340i and gloss black is for the 330. It still worked out tho and I love the way it looks. Just sad that i had to cut those screw tabs on the diffuser off to make it fit. Be interested to hear how yours comes out.

With respect to the spoiler, I'll be taking the stock one off this weekend. Waiting for the betalink glue before I can put on the carbon fiber one. Will share photos once installed in the coming week.

Attached photos of what I cut to make it fit - The picture is of the carbon fiber diffuser (likely for the 330i), but just used it to show what im talking about.[/QUOTE]

Ah right, I see 4 tabs on the aftermarket diffuser I have too, that one fits perfect to be fair.

I nearly bought the CF diffuser but I was worried it's so expensive I feel at risk with a bad driver nudging into the back of my car or something. I'll wait until I get a 340i maybe.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 08:53 AM   #11
Phippsy81
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport Plu

Had some time and a dry day yesterday, so finally managed to install mine! I found the corner clips to be a a bit of a pain and ended up doing the base clips first, then flexing the middle out first, then worked into each corner.... once out the new bumper trim and diffuser clipped in without too much trouble and a little patience. Happy though, looks great!
Attached Images

330i M Sport Plus
Previous- 435D M Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 10:45 PM   #12
miked1999
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phippsy81 View Post
Had some time and a dry day yesterday, so finally managed to install mine! I found the corner clips to be a a bit of a pain and ended up doing the base clips first, then flexing the middle out first, then worked into each corner.... once out the new bumper trim and diffuser clipped in without too much trouble and a little patience. Happy though, looks great!
Looks great. Is this an OEM diffuser or aftermarket? Could you please share the vender if it's aftermarket?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 01:52 AM   #13
NoTanks52
Private First Class
Rep

Here's mine after finally installing the CF spoiler and black gloss bumper trim & diffuser. Also, I added on the black exhaust tips.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 02:23 AM   #14
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

What’s the difference between the bumper trim and the diffuser?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 08:41 AM   #15
-Nick
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
What’s the difference between the bumper trim and the diffuser?
The large bumper trim is shaped more aggressively around the exhausts and also has a centre recess which will hold the carbon or gloss black finned diffusers
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 02:48 PM   #16
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Nick View Post
The large bumper trim is shaped more aggressively around the exhausts and also has a centre recess which will hold the carbon or gloss black finned diffusers
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 04:22 PM   #17
BMKILLA
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
What's the difference between the bumper trim and the diffuser?
See attached image, green part is the bumper trim, red part is the diffuser. You can't fit the diffuser without first fitting the bumper trim as it's designed to allow the diffuser to clip in, the original bumper trim is less aggressive and not compatible with the diffuser.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 11:38 AM   #18
StevenDS85
I ///M Fan
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-Sport

I tried to install the M-performance bumper and diffuser. However, I gave up. I removed the 7 screws and the plastic plate. Afterwards I noticed a lot of cable work for the foot kick boot thing. Seems to be attached to the basic M bumper. Think I’ll call the dealer for an appointment.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 05:47 AM   #19
Phippsy81
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked1999 View Post
Quote:
Looks great. Is this an OEM diffuser or aftermarket? Could you please share the vender if it's aftermarket?
It's the OEM Carbon M Performance Diffuser
Attached Images

330i M Sport Plus
Previous- 435D M Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 05:55 AM   #20
Phippsy81
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDS85 View Post
I tried to install the M-performance bumper and diffuser. However, I gave up. I removed the 7 screws and the plastic plate. Afterwards I noticed a lot of cable work for the foot kick boot thing. Seems to be attached to the basic M bumper. Think I’ll call the dealer for an appointment.
Are you talking about a full rear M Sport bumper, or just removal of the original grey trim to fit the new black trim/diffuser? I removed the grey trim, but left the black base cover in position.
The BMW Fitting instructions suggest the 'Comfort' boot kick should be coded out when the diffuser is fitted, but I've had no issues since, and it's working perfectly fine.

330i M Sport Plus
Previous- 435D M Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 12:28 PM   #21
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
The BMW Fitting instructions suggest the 'Comfort' boot kick should be coded out when the diffuser is fitted, but I've had no issues since, and it's working perfectly fine.
Assuming the boot kick can't work due to being covered I wonder why they feel they need to suggest it needs coded out
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 03:18 PM   #22
Phippsy81
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM3RTA View Post
Quote:
Assuming the boot kick can't work due to being covered I wonder why they feel they need to suggest it needs coded out
🤷🏻not sure? I assumed it would be because the sensor would be obstructed, but the function is still working perfectly , no issues or random openings etc?

330i M Sport Plus
Previous- 435D M Sport
Appreciate 0