Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Non-RFT Tires?

01-14-2020, 01:34 PM   #23
KR335
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
I wish I got the spare tire option. I definitely want to ditch my run flats whenever their tread life is over but will need to look into options for fitting a spare in the back. For 150 bucks it was so dumb not to get it from factory.

Edit: may think of buying this: https://www.bimmerzone.com/bmw-3-ser...f0c1d0620bc891

That along with a jack and a cover/case to put it in the trunk...Why didn't I just get the spare tire kit :/
Are you on 18" or 19" RFTs? As much as I dislike them, I'm thinking they may be the only option for me, because the BMW solution leaves the trunk too small and I don't like (and my wife will hate) a spare just sitting in the regular trunk. I'm also not really comfortable with just the fix-a-flat option.

As much as I like the look of the 19s, I'm now considering getting the 18s with summer RFTs, switching the tires out to Pirelli Sottozeros next winter and the following spring buying a set of 18" aftermarket rims that I like in a staggered setup (with the best RFTs I can find). I figure the 18" RFTs will be less objectionable than the 19s from a ride and durability perspective (I'll also be getting the Adjustable Suspension).

Any feedback from those with 18" RFTs with the adjustable suspension (or 19s, for that matter) would be appreciated. I'm wondering if I can skip the BMW Wheel & Tire Insurance with the 18s if they are less prone to failure.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 05:35 PM   #24
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
I wish I got the spare tire option. I definitely want to ditch my run flats whenever their tread life is over but will need to look into options for fitting a spare in the back. For 150 bucks it was so dumb not to get it from factory.

Edit: may think of buying this: https://www.bimmerzone.com/bmw-3-ser...f0c1d0620bc891

That along with a jack and a cover/case to put it in the trunk...Why didn't I just get the spare tire kit :/
It is one of those things, once you experience a nightmare with runflats it is the best $150 ever spent.

If I recall correctly, you can still check the spare tire option even if you have RFTs.

Not sure what OP is debating about . Spending $150 off the gate is the cheapest way to get into these things and the entire thing can be removed in less than 3 mins.

If I were you, I would look for a member who ended up with a spare on their tire and wanting to sell the thing.

I am sure we will have some for sale from people wanting more trunk space.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 06:41 PM   #25
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
It is one of those things, once you experience a nightmare with runflats it is the best $150 ever spent.

If I recall correctly, you can still check the spare tire option even if you have RFTs.

Not sure what OP is debating about . Spending $150 off the gate is the cheapest way to get into these things and the entire thing can be removed in less than 3 mins.

If I were you, I would look for a member who ended up with a spare on their tire and wanting to sell the thing.

I am sure we will have some for sale from people wanting more trunk space.
Good idea! I posted in the classifieds, will see if anyone is interested.
Appreciate 0