Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Music search problems

02-15-2020, 05:09 PM   #1
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Music search problems

Hi fellow G20 drivers; I'm having problems with the Personal Assistant and Music search on my M340i, and with music files on the USB stick.

I have about 1000 tracks in Music Collection in car storage and another 1500 on a USB stick. If I ask the Personal Assistant to search for a track, artist or or song she just responds with "I'm preparing Voice Activation for the Music Search"
It worked fine for about a week when the car was brand new, then hasn't worked for 6 weeks. The dealer upgraded my software to 11.2019.55 last week and it worked fine again for 2 days then started the same "I'm preparing voice control..."

Another very weird thing is that I deleted about 300 tracks on the USB stick via my laptop, plugged the USB stick back into the car and the car thinks the tracks are still there and shows the album and artist info, but of course wont play them as the file isn't there.
In the online handbook it says that the I-drive system transfers artist and folder info from the USB drive into the car somewhere. But it seems from my experience above that if the file is deleted on the USB stick, the corresponding info isn't deleted from wherever it is in the car.
There is a function to delete music files from Music Collection storage but nothing seems to exist that clears out the other storage area.
The manual also says there is 128Gb of storage for USB music info files which is a humongous amount of storage compared to only 32Gb for Music Collection files.

It's more annoying than anything...especially when someone wants to see a Personal Assistant demo and it doesn't work.

any advice appreciated
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 05:26 AM   #2
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

What happens when you delete everything from
The hard drive, then play only from USB (ie wwithout transferring to hard drive) - does the assistant work properly then?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 01:43 PM   #3
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSUV4Me View Post
The hard drive, then play only from USB (ie wwithout transferring to hard drive) - does the assistant work properly then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSUV4Me View Post
No, doesn't make any difference if I delete everything from the Hard Drive. Personal Assistant still says I'm preparing voice control...etc.
I also deleted everything except one album off the USB stick thinking surely she would find that. So nothing on the hard drive and only 1 folder with 1 album and 10 tracks on the USB stick. Same result..I'm preparing voice control...
That is also when I found that the USB deleted track info was still stored in the car memory somewhere.

Would be interesting to know how the voice control for music search actually works. ie, is everything scanned and indexed within the car, is it done off line when the car is off, or only when you are driving. The drivers guide manual just says "this may take some time depending upon number of tracks"
Appreciate 0