Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Help please - Windscreen Crack

01-19-2021, 07:15 AM   #1
warfiend
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

Help please - Windscreen Crack

Hi All, anyone offer any advise on the crack in this windscreen please. I had this car as a replacement whilst my G21 was being fixed with a "drive train" issue and this crack appeared whilst parked on the drive.

Apparently this was fitted just before they gave me the car and so I am arguing that it was incorrectly fitted based on the rubber not looking right in the top right corner and the fact that I cannot see any impact on that crack.

Anyone have any experience or comments on this ? Am I right or talking out of my backside ?

Any comments would be appreciated

thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 04:18 PM   #2
Amos91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 320d

Don't think you can say the rubber caused the crack but it does look like it has started right at the edge, which can't be hit from driving based on the seal 'protecting' it.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 06:28 PM   #3
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Definitely doesn't look right and would normally see an impact mark if something had hit it.
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 06:50 PM   #4
TristarL10
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW  [8.75]
If the crack is thru your line of sight, I'd replace it.
      01-20-2021, 04:42 AM   #5
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfiend View Post
Anyone have any experience or comments on this ?
thanks
Just my 2 cents... I think the rubber deformation is just the join (I think these rubber seals are not a continuous unit)

It looks more like the result of sudden temperature change to me, like when hot water poured on frozen screens.... (it may have just started and been out of sight after a previous customer used it, and got worse over time, and you're the unlucky one)

Might be worth asking why they replaced the screen in the first place It might point to a clue that something's wrong on the frame if it was caused by the same thing in the first place.... i.e. could be out of shape
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2021, 05:18 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfiend View Post
Apparently this was fitted just before they gave me the car and so I am arguing that it was incorrectly fitted based on the rubber not looking right in the top right corner and the fact that I cannot see any impact on that crack.

thanks
I'm not one for coincidences, when it comes to things like this.

I'd want more facts (like how long ago, who fitted it, etc.) and also suspect it was not fitted correctly. From the crack we can see in the picture, most likely it is a stress crack related to the fitting.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 08:28 AM   #7
warfiend
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

Thanks All

The screen was replaced just before they hired it to me due to an impact crack in the bottom left (this crack starts top right). I have this paperwork now

So it got driven 15miles to me to drop off, sat on the drive for 2 days during which time it rained and then the crack was there ...

When I returned it the same windscreen company was called out replaced the screen, claimed it was impact on the paper work which I finally saw after 3 months of asking and then disposed of the screen.

I have already spent 4 months arguing with them, including escalating to the conciliation service (who just look at paperwork and don't actually look at any photo's) so its looking like I will have to pay up the excess as the only proof is some photos I took

I think my last resort is to contact the fitting company directly and show the photo's, I will probably get nowhere but it might be worth a try

Thanks for the helpful comments
Appreciate 0