Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin Warranty expired after initial diag

01-09-2024, 03:08 PM   #1
rostrata
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 M340iX

Garage List
Warranty expired after initial diag

Hoping to gain a little insight before I do what I do best and burn every bridge. Quick backstory… SIB541619 refers to the sunshade roller where not enough grease was applied from the factory and requires the headliner to be removed to add grease to those pieces of hardware to mitigate the clicking noises while driving. Initial diagnosis was officially done early in the summer(while under warranty) and the dealer runs a very low level of loaner cars so they put me on a waiting list. No biggie, right? Well, finally got the car in last Friday at 55,230 miles and a four year warranty expiration date of December 17th, 2023. No big deal. Should be taken care of under warranty. Right?

Well, on the phone with corporate and they said there’s no TSB tied to the VIN so it doesn’t exist and that it would be covered if it was. And on the technician’s diag notes it says “maintenance.” Ahhh… I understand maintenance from the perspective of being able to do general work without much effort, but this being a manufacturing issue and that it requires the removal of the headliner tells me this isn’t maintenance.

So, would you, if in my position, reasonably expect to pay for such a thing even while under warranty? Because that’s what I’m getting from the story I got from corporate and how the service center is trying to word it. Corporate said I should be contacted within 5 business days for either approval, denial, or RFI.

That said, what’s the value of a relationship with a dealer? Burn the bridge over $600? Or, like I asked before, is it not unreasonable to expect to have to pay for that out of pocket? If that answer is no, it isn’t unreasonable and can be justified, then I’ll approve the order and pay it. Seems to be a very grey area here.

Corporate also said the diagnosis had to have been within the last 30 days. I was like, well, it was in the early summer and I’ve been waiting for a loaner this entire time. What was I supposed to do? Not drive the damn thing?

Anyway… pay? Or fight? What is the general consensus? I don’t want confrontation but I also know they’re not exactly on moral high ground.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0