Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics My 2020 G20 M340i won't install 07/2020.54

11-10-2020, 04:17 PM   #1
paulb15480
Retired Car Nut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, Dinan Exhaust

My 2020 G20 M340i won't install 07/2020.54

I have a 2020 M340i that was delivered on August 3rd 2020 with software version 03/2020.40 installed. My car has begun the OTA update to 07/2020.54 by downloading and preparing the update. Every time I enter the car and/or shut down the car it reminds me that the update is ready to be installed. However, if I try to install the update I get the message: "Upgrade currently not possible. The upgrade will be offered again for installation shortly."

I can go back in iDrive and it will show the update as ready to install and I can initiate it and the results are the same. I have attempted this 3 times, twice on Sunday (11.08.2020) and once today (11.10.2020). In each case I initiate the update within iDrive, lock the car, and walk away for 30 minutes to an hour. When I check the car after this time, the message comes up every time and the car is still at version 03/2020.40. I am attempting this at home with the car in my garage. Is it possible that I am not getting a "clear connection" to BMW since it is in my garage? Don't know if that is an issue or not since the software is already dowloaded, un-packed, and prepared. Or is there some other issue on BMW's end where they don't want the update to happen just yet? I might go to the dealer in a few days and park in their lot and initiate the update once again in the "outside" and see what happens.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 04:32 PM   #2
bimmerMytlas
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340XI G20

Did you put your hand brake on the car, there is some pre-requisites, mine didn't start until I press the hand brake button.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 04:37 PM   #3
paulb15480
Retired Car Nut
United_States
Rep

Yes, handbrake was applied

Absolutely did apply the "parking brake". That's one of the boxes that needs to be "checked" in the iDrive display before it will initiate the install. All of the other required boxes were checked as well. Also, my car is not modified or coded in any way (other than the Dinan exhaust).

I did just get off of the phone with the BMW Genius at my dealer and he asked if the car was outside, and I said that it was in my garage. He suggested that might be the problem, which was something I was pondering. I will probably go over to the dealer on Thursday and park in their lot and attempt the update there. Added bonus is if something goes really sideways I can just go to my Service Advisor and say "she's dead in your parking lot, have at it!!!!"
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 05:02 PM   #4
tabarda
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb15480 View Post
Absolutely did apply the "parking brake". That's one of the boxes that needs to be "checked" in the iDrive display before it will initiate the install. All of the other required boxes were checked as well. Also, my car is not modified or coded in any way (other than the Dinan exhaust).

I did just get off of the phone with the BMW Genius at my dealer and he asked if the car was outside, and I said that it was in my garage. He suggested that might be the problem, which was something I was pondering. I will probably go over to the dealer on Thursday and park in their lot and attempt the update there. Added bonus is if something goes really sideways I can just go to my Service Advisor and say "she's dead in your parking lot, have at it!!!!"
Mine when today made the last update to version 07 / 2020.54, informs that to make the update in addition to the car having to be stopped, requires a key of the same inside.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 02:39 PM   #5
cls49bmw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40

There was another thread on this topic, so search around a bit. What I remember was that once the update has downloaded to your car, installation requires a fully charged battery. Some owners were advised to take the car out for a 40-45 minute drive on the highway. That would get your battery up to a proper level. Then the update would begin when you follow the instructions on your I Drive screen.

There's more information on this site.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 01:41 PM   #6
paulb15480
Retired Car Nut
United_States
Rep

Visited BMW Dealer Today

Went to my BMW Dealer today to see if the car would complete the update in their parking lot in wide open spaces. Plus I figured if something went really sideways they would't have to tow the car!!

Anyway, the car still wouldn't update. So we had a little meeting with my Sales Rep, my Service Advisor, and the Shop Forman. The shop forman said that with this update they have had many cars that will not update like mine. Obviously BMW is new to this game and apparently there are "issues" in varioius modules that prevent the update from initiating. They wind up having to hook your car up to their systems and get everyting in sync and updated. It sounds like the issue has to do with version control with all of the modules and the resulting various production variances. The result is that the software on the various modules doesn't necessarily agree with what BMW expects to be there, so the update won't proceed (sounds like a good idea to me to keep from bricking the car). Anyway, I'll just wait until my next oil change and they can get it all figured out at that time. In the meantime I'll continue enjoying the car!!! (Which is how it should be).
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 02:02 PM   #7
Eun2
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series G20

My 320i G20 downloaded 07/2020.54 a few weeks ago but has refused to prompt me to install it (this is not the first time this has happened). Rang BMW Connected Drive several times with no joy! Bought a Ctek MXS 5 battery charger and charged the battery overnight (actually used recondition mode). Started the car the morning after and it straight away asked me if I wanted to install. Installed with no problems. It seems a fully charged battery is the answer.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 03:01 AM   #8
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eun2 View Post
My 320i G20 downloaded 07/2020.54 a few weeks ago but has refused to prompt me to install it (this is not the first time this has happened). Rang BMW Connected Drive several times with no joy! Bought a Ctek MXS 5 battery charger and charged the battery overnight (actually used recondition mode). Started the car the morning after and it straight away asked me if I wanted to install. Installed with no problems. It seems a fully charged battery is the answer.
I had to do the same. Seems battery must need to be 'fully' charged.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 03:22 AM   #9
Evo9m340
Rep
Drives: EVO 9, M340, IS350

Tried to install that And it failed at 15%. Had to have my car towed into service because the car won’t start now. Next time, I’ll do it at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 12:59 PM   #10
paulb15480
Retired Car Nut
United_States
Rep

Thanks for info

Thanks for posting your rather unfortunate experience with the update. I have certainly stopped trying to "convince" my car to perform the update that is already downloaded. I will just wait until I take it in for its 10,000 mile service.

Sorry you had to experience that inconvenience though. Hopefully it wasn't too much of an ordeal.
Appreciate 0