Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Gesture control use with apple car play

12-02-2020, 12:00 PM   #1
Shaltout
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

Exclamation Gesture control use with apple car play

Hello guys,

I just got delivery of my 2020 330i and I have two issues that I couldn't fix or find solutions to:

1. When apple car play is connected and I am playing music from Spotify, I can use gesture control to increase/decrease volume with no problem. I can also mute using the peace sign gesture, but I couldn't for the life of me unmute/resume using the same gesture. The same gesture works fine to mute/unmute with radio for example with no issues.

2. I logged into the native Spotify app on iDrive, but it's wonky at best, every time I try to play music from the native app it plays for a second then pauses and switches to apple car play.

Any advice is highly appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 10:02 AM   #2
Amos91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaltout View Post
Hello guys,

I just got delivery of my 2020 330i and I have two issues that I couldn't fix or find solutions to:

1. When apple car play is connected and I am playing music from Spotify, I can use gesture control to increase/decrease volume with no problem. I can also mute using the peace sign gesture, but I couldn't for the life of me unmute/resume using the same gesture. The same gesture works fine to mute/unmute with radio for example with no issues.

2. I logged into the native Spotify app on iDrive, but it's wonky at best, every time I try to play music from the native app it plays for a second then pauses and switches to apple car play.

I think it's a fundamental issue of having two live Spotify logins between the car and your phone.

Ultimately CarPlay should only launch if you have that as the last media output. So if you select radio, then cycle the ignition and then use the native Spotify app, then carplay shouldn't launch.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 01:38 PM   #3
Bimmer006
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 -> G20

Quote:
Hello guys,

I guess you are not alone. This is exactly happening to me on my new 2021 g20 but mine with Android auto. For this annoying reason, i have just uninstalled the Android auto (anyway i'm not a big fan of this). Still the Spotify app from BMW is also buggy, sometimes it just takes way too much time to load the playlist. Also, if you use the controls from your steering there is always some sync issue going on for Spotify (if you switch between radio and spotify). Also, sometimes the channel that is playing in radio or spotify will not show the correct playlist in the display.

I would say try disabling the Car Play and then try to use just the Spotify app in the car that should work better than connecting via apple car play or android auto.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 07:00 PM   #4
Shaltout
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer006 View Post
I guess you are not alone. This is exactly happening to me on my new 2021 g20 but mine with Android auto. For this annoying reason, i have just uninstalled the Android auto (anyway i'm not a big fan of this). Still the Spotify app from BMW is also buggy, sometimes it just takes way too much time to load the playlist. Also, if you use the controls from your steering there is always some sync issue going on for Spotify (if you switch between radio and spotify). Also, sometimes the channel that is playing in radio or spotify will not show the correct playlist in the display.

I would say try disabling the Car Play and then try to use just the Spotify app in the car that should work better than connecting via apple car play or android auto.
Yeah I could try that. But like you said the native Spotify app is buggy, so maybe I should stick to apple car play and forget about getting the native app to work.

Do you have gesture control? Has worked with you with android auto?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 07:02 PM   #5
Shaltout
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos91 View Post
I think it's a fundamental issue of having two live Spotify logins between the car and your phone.

Ultimately CarPlay should only launch if you have that as the last media output. So if you select radio, then cycle the ignition and then use the native Spotify app, then carplay shouldn't launch.
How about gesture control? Have you seen any issues with it when using apple car play?
Appreciate 1
Amos9192.50
      12-04-2020, 09:39 AM   #6
Amos91
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
How about gesture control? Have you seen any issues with it when using apple car play?
Gesture control works fine for me cycling tracks etc on Car Play & Android Auto.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 09:55 AM   #7
Bimmer006
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I could try that. But like you said the native Spotify app is buggy, so maybe I should stick to apple car play and forget about getting the native app to work.

Do you have gesture control? Has worked with you with android auto?
Yes, I do have Gesture control. I'm able to skip next/previous songs and increase volume up/down using Spotify in Android Auto. But if you Pause a song, I'm unable to resume the song.

Also more over it suddenly stops playing or moving to a song in the top of the list randomly if i use Spotify in Android auto. Because of all these reasons I just disabled Android Auto and just using Spotify app in the car's built in app. At least in this i can pause, play and control the list better than Android Auto.

Last edited by Bimmer006; 12-10-2020 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 03:04 PM   #8
Shaltout
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer006 View Post
Yes, I do have Gesture control. I'm able to skip next/previous songs and increase volume up/down using Spotify in Android Auto. But if you Pause a song, I'm unable to resume the song.

Also more over it suddenly stops playing or moving to a song in the top of the list randomly if i use Spotify in Android auto. Because of all these reasons I just disabled Android Auto and just using Spotify app in the car's built in app. At least in this i can pause, place and control the list better than Android Auto.
Yes this is the exact behavior I see. All gestures work fine except for when you mute you CANNOT unmute.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2020, 03:51 PM   #9
Bimmer006
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes this is the exact behavior I see. All gestures work fine except for when you mute you CANNOT unmute.
Hopefully this issue will be fixed in the future software updates.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 05:17 PM   #10
bimmerelectric
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330e 2019

This bug is present for a pretty long time.
Over a year at least.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 06:16 AM   #11
Amos91
Private First Class
Rep

I can unmute with gesture on android auto with Spotify. I tested it last night.
Appreciate 0