Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions 2020 G20 M340i Active Grill Delete Summary

01-14-2024, 09:12 PM   #1
sfdentalnerd
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

2020 G20 M340i Active Grill Delete Summary

I spent about a week looking at every youtube video and every forum thread about getting rid of the active grill (Yes, we can debate whether or not it was a smart move to get rid of it, but in the end, I wanted it off for cosmetic reasons).

After researching the different methods of trying to permanently leave the grill open, removing it completely, or removing just a few of the blades, I decided to just remove all of the blades and the upper arm that holds them in place.

There are lots of videos on youtube the show this fairly simple process in detail. I used a Carbon Steel Bypass Lopper (a branch cutter) to quickly cut each of the blades and also the "arms" that connect the motor to the upper arm that controls the blades.

Some of the videos said this method wouldn't throw a CEL as long as the motor was free to spin, and some videos ended up with a CEL. After removing the blades and disconnecting the motor arms to spin freely, I started my car. The motor spun freely (no binding) and my check engine light lit up.
My OBD2 scanner indicated the following error:
P05A1 Active Grill Air Shutter 'A' Position Sensor Minimum/Maximum Stop Performance
My BM3 OBD2 agent showed this:
138802 Active cooling air flap control (AKKS), top: lower stop not recognized
My guess is the motor can detect when there is no load, or the motor spins TOO MUCH, thereby indicated that something is wrong with the active grill and lighting up the CEL.

I tried clearing/resetting these codes with both my Foxwell reader and my BM3 agent, but it didn't work.

In Freshhkiicks' YouTube video, he also got a CEL. He solved this by buying a new active grill and deleting ONLY the middle blades. He left the outside blades intact so that it still functioned.

I'm going a different route and I'm going to have the error coded out professionally.

Just wanted to post just in case there was something I missed in the process that might have prevented the CEL, and also to warn anyone who's planning on doing this that you might have to deal with a CEL after disconnecting the motor arms.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 11:07 AM   #2
TexKS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340M

I would be interested in seeing a picture of the grill after it is done.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 11:12 AM   #3
Matic94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M440i G26

Seeing as you have a 2020, I’m not sure if it predates 6/20 but if so why not get an unlock and just tune the flaps off?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00
      01-16-2024, 03:31 PM   #4
sfdentalnerd
Rep

I'll post some pics after work today.

I tried just leaving them open, but it didn't have the same "look". It still looked a bit messy to me.

Update about coding: I went to the same BMW-specific shop I go to for maintenance and pretty much got LECTURED about how what I did was illegal.

He said he legally couldn't code out the CEL for my active grill because it's meant to reduce warm up time, thereby reducing emissions in my great state of California.

Interestingly enough, this is the same shop that installed my Active Autowerke catted downpipe

I'm off to look for another place I can get rid of this CEL.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 09:12 PM   #5
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfdentalnerd View Post
Update about coding: I went to the same BMW-specific shop I go to for maintenance and pretty much got LECTURED about how what I did was illegal.

He said he legally couldn't code out the CEL for my active grill because it's meant to reduce warm up time, thereby reducing emissions in my great state of California.

Interestingly enough, this is the same shop that installed my Active Autowerke catted downpipe
I get it. I grew up in the City in the 50s and 60s and finally threw in the towel in 1995. The insanity just wasn't worth it anymore.

Ironically, the City actually used to work pretty well. However, decades of attracting extreme oddballs from across the country put paid to that approach.

It hasn't helped that residents are not only expected to put up with the incompetence of their elected betters – they keep returning them to office!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 10:16 PM   #6
sfdentalnerd
Rep

Here are some pics...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 10:18 PM   #7
sfdentalnerd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
I get it. I grew up in the City in the 50s and 60s and finally threw in the towel in 1995. The insanity just wasn't worth it anymore.

Ironically, the City actually used to work pretty well. However, decades of attracting extreme oddballs from across the country put paid to that approach.

It hasn't helped that residents are not only expected to put up with the incompetence of their elected betters – they keep returning them to office!
I'm close to giving up lol. Nothing makes sense anymore.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 02:30 PM   #8
RT1250Ryder
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 LCI M340i

Quote:
Yeah, I would look for another shop. Shouldn't be that big of a deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 07:48 AM   #9
dustwhyn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
I'll post some pics after work today.

I tried just leaving them open, but it didn't have the same "look". It still looked a bit messy to me.

I'm off to look for another place I can get rid of this CEL.
You ever get this situated? I’m trying to do the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 02:03 AM   #10
sfdentalnerd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustwhyn View Post
You ever get this situated? I’m trying to do the same.
I used bootmod3 to delete to CEL for that specific code. Haven't had an issue otherwise.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2024, 02:12 AM   #11
dustwhyn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
I used bootmod3 to delete to CEL for that specific code. Haven't had an issue otherwise.
That’s what I’m most likely going to do. I removed the shutter flaps from the assemblies, as well as the actuator motors because the motors constantly spinning was annoying the hell out of me, and I’m getting 21B057, CD9203, and CD9204.
Appreciate 0