Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications First impression on the JB+ on my M340i

10-26-2020, 01:18 PM   #1
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

First impression on the JB+ on my M340i

Greetings everyone, hope all is well.

This is a very initial, three day impression that I have, so more is definitely to come. I am sure that three day isn't enough for me to write the best report on this. But I would like to share the three day's worth of experience still. I guess this is sort of how-to and how-it-was.

JB+ is a blessing in some ways (for a person like me, and I DON'T work for burger motorsports lol) because how EZ it is. I mean, EASY. Also, JB+ (a spoiler) brings that easy speed. The feeling of rush but not with the engine feeling like it is trying hard. Easy speed.

Only difficult part in the install would be to initial unlatching/unhooking of the air MAF sensor. Its on the right side of the engine if you are standing in front looking at the engine (so its on the LEFT side of the engine if you were driving)

There is a bigger, more visible cable hookup in the front middle of the engine, right next to it, but that isn't it. I almost went for it, but by looking at it, it is apparent that the JB+ ends aren't big enough to hook up to those.

The smaller, less significant sized air MAF sensor is to the right of that. Hopefully this can save you some trouble finding it.

The video that is on burger motorsports uses a 430i, and it is NOT how M340i engine bay looks so hope this helps.

First, it is much better if you remove the engine cover, very easy to do.

A small precision type flat screw will work the best to loosen up the map sensor. It is kind of a pain to get to the rear of sensor map though.

First, loosen up the latch that is on the top of the sensor (a white plastic part) by putting the screw in between the crack and gently turning them. It will open with a distinct snap. Then you have to stand and lean over on the front left tire (as a driver would see it) to get to the rear part, and there isn't a lot of room nor a good visual.

It is hidden underneath and therefore not easy, but find the bottom gap of the sensor and gently press up while simultaneously pulling the front MAF sensor away from each other.

Be GENTLE. there are several pieces all tied together in a sort of a plastic holder. Put too much pressure and things could definitely break. I tried this few times but it was stuck. I just gently kept at it and it finally came loose.

But I say once you get it, it will be easier and easier. I cannot stress enough, be gentle with the tools and the pull. Don't scratch or poke anything around it too much, or snap anything and the dealership will instantly notice that you were messing with it.

Then its like i said, EEEZ. Only one way to put the JB+ in. How you want to tuck it away is up to you... But you have to tuck it away in the small space, or the engine bay cover won't close snug.

I suggest to find a way to tuck it away while minimizing any twisting or bending of the JB+ cable. In another words, have them stay neutral as possibly can because it will stay there for a long time (until maintenance to the dealership ha) Less stress on the cables, less chance of inner cords being affected in any way.

So... sorry for the long intro. but I thought I should put my experience of install, be it simple as it is, because it can be a pain and things could break. I want to make sure my friends here don't go through that lol

So NOW I could get to the driving part. JB+ was installed right at 1300 miles, so engine is ready to go, though it is still not fully loosened up.

I am naturally conservative and careful when it comes to things like this, so I made sure the internal gauge in the JB+ was set on default: 3'o clock. 91 sucky cali gas lol. I believe the boost is around +3 psi

I drove the car like I have been: Sport plus, but not letting the RPM go higher than 4k. Shifting it my self. No launches, get on it gently and once i hit around 30 mph, THEN get to about 50% - 60% throttle.

I did not dyno it, no 0-60 video or anything like that... So no this isn't a science or a gospel. Its all on feel... I want to be clear on this.

When I start driving it first, I really did not know if there were any changes. It felt the same at first. But after I got on a fwy and start pushing a bit, i felt that the car was even quicker. I kept slowing down to about 55, putting the gear into 5th, and did the 50% throttle for just a few seconds. it would be in the XX's (hehe) like THAT.

I was pleasantly surprised that by the third time I was doing it, i was positive that the boost was higher and the pull of the engine was stronger. I guess JB+ kind of 'slowly' brings the boost up. letting the engine get used to it. Not so sure but that's how it felt.

I kept on driving for about 30 more mins and I felt like there is more oomph as low as 2k rpm.

I then on purpose put it on comfort, drove around town, and I want to say that throttle response felt more sensitive. Less push, more go. A nice feeling. as soon as i hit around 2k rpm, i felt the additional PSI.

There is this video out on JB+ where a F30 340i owner says he feels about 10% increase. Well, I don't know if its 40 hp (10% on our cars) but it does feel about few tenths quicker. Bottom line is, FOR ME, the car feels even quicker than before. By a margin enough that could be felt. No guessing on that. Additional power and a boost. I tried a 70% ish throttle in a open road where there was no one around, and I was at XXX (lol!) before I knew it. Mouth open, WOW mode.

It was a WOW mode even as a stock, but my personal verdict is out: The boost is higher, and it comes in at earlier RPM at that. I think Burger motorsports created a perfect mild tune for a likes of me: More power that you can definitely feel and shave .3-.4 tenths, while staying as safe as you can without putting more parts in. It is the most convenient hassle free tune available.

One more thing though. So that there is no mistake on this, it isn't a LOT. Not 100 hp. A nice additional push, but not a forceful shove, if that makes sense for you. Still brings smiles because M340i is already very fast without.

So its been a few days now and I will keep driving it and see if more power will be unloosened. Hope this little writ helps. If you are like me, and want to add a simple power, JB+ is the way to go.

I will up the boost to 4.5 psi in the coming weeks and will do an update. But I have a feeling that too high a dial might make it jerky. Will let everyone know.
Appreciate 3
EXE462097.00
VipinLJ1936.50
FROUV10.50
      10-26-2020, 04:26 PM   #2
gasnet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Yes let us know. Dialing it way up caused engine code in previous (N54)car.Nothing a reg mechanic couldn't clear. Good luck
2016 Audi A7 RIP / 19 Genesis G80 RIP
2020 Z4 M40i / 2022 X3
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #3
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasnet View Post
Yes let us know. Dialing it way up caused engine code in previous (N54)car.Nothing a reg mechanic couldn't clear. Good luck
actually it is still a substantial power increase even now at 3'o clock position. Might not need to increase boost. But ill do it just to see how it will feel for a short while.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 05:34 PM   #4
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

JB+ is a great and inexpensive way to add 30-40hp, enjoy it!

Nice thing is they let you trade up 100% to a JB4 within a year too if you decide you want more power.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2020, 10:27 PM   #5
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

I ran a JB+ on my 330i and it was nice. I even had it at 100% for a few months before I moved to a JB4. I absolutely love it! Can't imagine how the power would feel on an already very fast car (the M340i).
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2020, 01:09 AM   #6
rrfitness20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i

I wish somebody did a dyno result video. I've heard mixed things about the JB plus on this platform. But if the numbers are there I'd place an order myself
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2020, 08:49 AM   #7
DenHaag3er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Not sure if its worth the hassle of installation, stressing the vehicle and potential warranty refusal for a bit of extra oomph.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2020, 09:39 AM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats and thank you for taking the time to write a review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2020, 11:07 AM   #9
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
JB+ is a great and inexpensive way to add 30-40hp, enjoy it!

Nice thing is they let you trade up 100% to a JB4 within a year too if you decide you want more power.
Yes that is a very nice incentive. Ill drive it for few more months and see if I would actually want it. Its so much power already, I probably do not need the JB4
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 11:09 AM   #10
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
I ran a JB+ on my 330i and it was nice. I even had it at 100% for a few months before I moved to a JB4. I absolutely love it! Can't imagine how the power would feel on an already very fast car (the M340i).
Nice! So how was the 100% boost working for you? Was it making the car a bit jerky? i've heard this from somewhere and that's I am afraid of.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      10-27-2020, 11:13 AM   #11
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfitness20 View Post
I wish somebody did a dyno result video. I've heard mixed things about the JB plus on this platform. But if the numbers are there I'd place an order myself
That would be nice.

I did see the dyno graph on the burger motorsports website that it was adding about 34 hp / 30 tq on the max boost on the F30 340i. I could only guess that it would be a lot more (+10hp or more) for the M340i which has is substantially more powerful.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 11:22 AM   #12
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenHaag3er View Post
Not sure if its worth the hassle of installation, stressing the vehicle and potential warranty refusal for a bit of extra oomph.
I want to tell you, in my limited knowledge, there is not a single tune out there which is easier to install (once you figure it out... i could now do it in a minute literally), no need to gap the plugs, no need to touch anything and get 30 hp / 40 tq on a CONSERVATIVE SETTING.

Plus I believe JB+ has been around for a long time, has a proven track record of being very reliable. I had it on my 2007 335i for about two years and had not a single problem. And it probably gave me around 20-25 hp. BMW was charging something like a 1000 bucks (correct me if i am wrong) for a some kind of tune that gave 20 hp as well. I paid 100$ for mine.

My opinion is, unless you want to go full bore and install bolt ons, this is the best simple inexpensive tune to get your around 10% increase in hp/tq. I am feeling a definite difference on my car right now. It was really fast out of the box, but now there is this additional edge that wasn't there before and the power comes on pretty early so its usable.
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      10-27-2020, 11:29 AM   #13
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Congrats and thank you for taking the time to write a review
Thank you. For a lazy tuner like me (word created by me ha) this is a blessing. I do not want to go too hard on it on a lease, and JB+ was a easy choice. I am very happy.

I know you are the expert. Since I am on 3'o clock default position on the JB+, would that be around 3 psi+?
How much additional power do you think I get on default setting? And is the max boost not recommended on a stock engine?

Would love to hear your thoughts on it before I set the dial up higher. Thank you mike.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 12:17 PM   #14
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340i Pride View Post
Nice! So how was the 100% boost working for you? Was it making the car a bit jerky? i've heard this from somewhere and that's I am afraid of.
The power wasn't smooth since below around 2k RPMs, the turbo didn't spool up and felt exactly the same as stock. But once it spooled up, it was a different animal. The JB4 is much smoother than the JB+. Not sure how but yes.
For the price, the JB+ is great!
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2020, 12:39 PM   #15
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
The power wasn't smooth since below around 2k RPMs, the turbo didn't spool up and felt exactly the same as stock. But once it spooled up, it was a different animal. The JB4 is much smoother than the JB+. Not sure how but yes.
For the price, the JB+ is great!
Thank you for that info. I am probably going to leave the boost alone at stock level. Not worth the jerky / losing the smoothness. Still gives me enough additional oomph.

JB4 controls much more parameters than the simple air MAF sensor in JB+ so i could imagine that it would be better in every way. I am just not willing to install any bolt ons... call me a wimp lol. Don't want my SA to pick a bone and call out the down pipe
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      10-27-2020, 01:00 PM   #16
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
It would be nice to see a real independent dyno and compare with those results.

I'm still toying with the idea of getting a tune in the near future for my M340. I read a lot about the different types of tunes on here and I feel like a few people have mentioned the JB tune products don't have the same results as say a flash tune on the newer G series platform as the ECU is too complex for the piggyback system the JB utilizes.

Is there any truth to that? I also question the power gains the JB +/4 would have in regards to the newer software versions in our cars, as even flash tuners are still unable to crack the ECU's
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2020, 03:22 PM   #17
bSwiazzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiddy23 View Post

I'm still toying with the idea of getting a tune in the near future for my M340. I read a lot about the different types of tunes on here and I feel like a few people have mentioned the JB tune products don't have the same results as say a flash tune on the newer G series platform as the ECU is too complex for the piggyback system the JB utilizes.

Is there any truth to that? I also question the power gains the JB +/4 would have in regards to the newer software versions in our cars, as even flash tuners are still unable to crack the ECU's
From what i know the JB4 is a piggy back so its not an ECU/DME tune.

it simply tricks the ecu with air flow/fuel/boost levels but jb4 products are burger motorsports are legit

correct me if i am wrong

definitely all about what you are looking for
2021 X3M // RGSport Midpipe + MSS + RaceChipGTS // Retired
2016 Rav4
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2020, 03:28 PM   #18
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiddy23 View Post

I did hear (you might have as well) that 2021 M340i's hasn't been cracked yet. Therefore Mission Performance cannot do a flash on those just yet.

But JB+ is only sending out altered altitude signal, making the turbo believe that its at a higher altitude than what it really is and boost a bit higher. Therefore, higher boost, a modest 3 or 4 psi at that and that does add some quick HP and TQ (sorry i am pretty sure you know this)

So JB+ isn't cracking anything, just intercepts and alters the signal and therefore I think it surely is working in my car
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 03:43 PM   #19
rrfitness20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i

As far as that jerkiness that some people bring up would you say that's accurate? I had JB4 on my q60 redsport in the past and it was good for what it was. But some people on this platform claim the transmission is no longer smooth ..fast ..etc ..
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2020, 04:14 PM   #20
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfitness20 View Post
As far as that jerkiness that some people bring up would you say that's accurate? I had JB4 on my q60 redsport in the past and it was good for what it was. But some people on this platform claim the transmission is no longer smooth ..fast ..etc ..
Personally i am not too sure at this point. I guess the best way to find out is for me to crank it up and see what happens.

But I remember in 2010 (when I got my 335i) people were saying a similar thing: Don't go over certain psi or car becomes jerky. So common theme still holds. May be this engine is so much more advanced than the N54 that this might not happen.

I'll eventually try this and share with you guys in a few weeks. Just want to get used to the 3'o clock for now
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 05:58 PM   #21
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

Nice writeup. I used a JB+ on my F30 340i for around 2 years and I think it added a good amount of power but I can't get it to go past the 12 o'clock position without it causing shift delays. I think I got a check engine one and it was for an overboost code but I cleared it and haven't had problems since. Also being so easy to install/remove was great whenever I had to get the car serviced.

I haven't tried it with my M340i yet but I might give it a go and see how it does. I went to the drag strip a few weeks ago and my times were around 12.05 @ 113 on the 1/4 mile so if this can push me into the 11s that's be so cool!

Current: 2020 M340xi
Previous: 2016 340xi
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2020, 06:16 PM   #22
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

The "jerkiness" I experienced was because of the sudden boost after turbo lag. It didn't make the car undrivable or anything. Just that, when the turbo spooled, it kicked in much harder than stock. That is all. No transmission or engine issues at all.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1