11-30-2020, 09:55 AM   #1
Jerrytarg6_m340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 bmw m3 comp xdrive

Garage List
Suspension or lowering springs

I was ready to go with putting kw coilovers on until I saw a video from fitment industries saying basically if you have a good suspension lowering springs is the better way to go. Now if u have a m340 you kno she handles beautifully. So my question is is this true. I do NOT want to kill the ride so that's the biggest issue. Appreciate the info
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 01:18 PM   #2
imported_nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Coilovers will always be better than swapping the springs on the OEM strut... The only benefit of swapping only the springs is that it is cheaper.

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 04:00 PM   #3
Jerrytarg6_m340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Mike View Post
Coilovers will always be better than swapping the springs on the OEM strut... The only benefit of swapping only the springs is that it is cheaper.

Yea I usually would agree. But multiple people now saying if you have the adaptive m suspension with the electronic dampers which I got that springs is the way to go. Coilovers would not give me a better ride then what I got stock. So if I wanna keep the ride just lower the stance. Springs is it. Fitment industries recommended springs. A quality set. But still confused. Plus not sure if anyone familiar with auto cotour in north jersey. But they had said the same
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 10:50 PM   #4
imported_nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrytarg6_m340 View Post
Yea I usually would agree. But multiple people now saying if you have the adaptive m suspension with the electronic dampers which I got that springs is the way to go. Coilovers would not give me a better ride then what I got stock. So if I wanna keep the ride just lower the stance. Springs is it. Fitment industries recommended springs. A quality set. But still confused. Plus not sure if anyone familiar with auto cotour in north jersey. But they had said the same
The terms "fitment" and "cotoure" generally are connotated with appearance. Do you want a car that looks nice? Or is optimized for grip driving? Or something that is a comfortable ride?

If you have the adaptive suspension, yeah changing springs is probably the most straightforward -- but it may not perform as good as OEM on the track. Bilstein offers a full kit for the adaptive suspension models -- https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/produ...51839577779359 -- this is the ultimate if money is not a factor
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 11:30 PM   #5
Jerrytarg6_m340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Mike View Post
Quote:
The terms "fitment" and "cotoure" generally are connotated with appearance. Do you want a car that looks nice? Or is optimized for grip driving? Or something that is a comfortable ride?
Auto cotour does everything. Full builds anything you want or need. The place is amazing. Look into it. Built my brothers e46 m3 completely and it's straight track so yea. I put my car in there hands 100%. But as far as me going to track. I will but it's not that serious but at the same time I want to be able if I want. Anyway. That is def nice and thank you. So your basically saying the oem suspension isn't good enough to just put springs. Or springs will effect how adaptive suspension feels and works so yea. Whatever but like I said. I don't want to kill the ride and want the stance. And thought stock suspension was good enough for track. But idk. Def like that tho. Sounds like total package. Just don't kno if I need all that. Idk. So do you have the adaptive suspension and all that ?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 11:51 PM   #6
Jerrytarg6_m340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just a lil FYI. Money is not an option. I'm not saying springs bc there cheaper. This is what's getting recommended by people. Fitment industries auto cotour are not just cosmetic company's. My main objective is not to have a shitty ride. Bc the way it handles now. To me is perfect. And that's not just out of my mouth. That's out of people I trust that track there cars. Not believing how good it handles. I can't f*Ck figure out how to add pictures to my gallery so I could post pictures of my brothers m3 and mustang that he takes to track that were built by auto cotour. But whatever. U guys are more knowledgeable which is why I'm here to take advice. So thank you. Still have couple months to figure it out till before summer
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 01:29 AM   #7
cywing1119
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

i have a adaptive suspension and went with dinan lowering spring instead of kw v3, the main reason is i can still keep my "adaptive" function work and the maximum height of kw v3 is still too low for where i live, handling wise the lowering spring does help a lot on reducing bodying roll, but i guess a quality coilover will do the same job maybe even better since you can adjust the rebound or other things, i just went with the cheaper route for now
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 02:29 AM   #8
Jerrytarg6_m340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cywing1119 View Post
i have a adaptive suspension and went with dinan lowering spring instead of kw v3, the main reason is i can still keep my "adaptive" function work and the maximum height of kw v3 is still too low for where i live, handling wise the lowering spring does help a lot on reducing bodying roll, but i guess a quality coilover will do the same job maybe even better since you can adjust the rebound or other things, i just went with the cheaper route for now
Have u noticed a change in your ride?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 11:52 PM   #9
cywing1119
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
The ride quality feel more firm but still ride like oem on each mode, the most difference is on comfort plus (which i coded this mode by using bimmercode), everytime when the car goes over speed pump, will rebounce a lot and feel like a boat, since then i never switch to comfort plus
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 09:57 AM   #10
Jerrytarg6_m340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cywing1119 View Post
Quote:
The ride quality feel more firm but still ride like oem on each mode, the most difference is on comfort plus (which i coded this mode by using bimmercode), everytime when the car goes over speed pump, will rebounce a lot and feel like a boat, since then i never switch to comfort plus
I think it's the better choice. The adaptive suspension is made for the car and adapts to your driving. And anyone with the m340 knows in sport+ is already sporty or stiff whatever u wanna call it. Why would I want to get rid of that especially with this being my daily driver. I can see if your tracking the car everyday then maybe. But no. And it's not that much cheaper when you factor in what you pay to have the adaptive m suspension. So for me. Now it's down to which springs which I'm leaning towards the ac schnitzer but gotta do more research. If anyone has any recommendations greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0