Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions LCI Headlights Options for US

10-12-2022, 01:52 PM   #1
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

LCI Headlights Options for US

I'm a little confused on the LCI headlights options for US-market 3-ers right now. At first glance, it looks like every vehicle should have the same headlights in either gray for M Performance or black with Shadowline. Both feature LED low-and high-beam, LED DRLs and turn signals, and auto high-beam. And both get the neutered welcome animation sequence compared to other countries.

However, after looking at the order guide and pricing guide for the 2023 M340i, it looks like they're actually different headlights?

M Performance gets option 5A2 which is listed as just LED headlights. Adding the Shadowline package changes them to option 522, which is listed as LED lights with cornering lights. In Canada (and most other countries), option 522 lights are listed as Adaptive Headlights with the blue accents and Selective Beam.

Interestingly, it looks like the 5A2 headlights *do* have cornering lights according to this owner.

So my question is: does anyone here know if 5A2 and 522 in the US are actually different capability-wise or just in color since we don't get the Adaptive and Selective Beam functions here?

But, to that point, now that better headlight tech is now technically legal in the US, I wonder if the 522 headlights may actually be OTA upgradeable to Adaptive since it's all doing with matrix LED tech now rather than something actually swiveling left and right?

Last edited by RCtennis3811; 10-12-2022 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0