Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions What kind of mods can I add to my car while under warranty/lease? Recommendations?

01-11-2020, 08:52 PM   #1
Michaeltv100
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

What kind of mods can I add to my car while under warranty/lease? Recommendations?

As the title says I'm trying to make my car look a1 but I, unfortunately, have to pass on tunes since I'll get voided with one since they can see when I add and remove one.

Currently planning to add an axle back which hopefully won't have too much drone, a cold air intake, and some nicer wheels. Other than those and some nice carbon fiber parts, any ideas? G20 btw
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 10:40 AM   #2
EddieA1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 340i, m240i, M2C, m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeltv100 View Post
As the title says I'm trying to make my car look a1 but I, unfortunately, have to pass on tunes since I'll get voided with one since they can see when I add and remove one.

Currently planning to add an axle back which hopefully won't have too much drone, a cold air intake, and some nicer wheels. Other than those and some nice carbon fiber parts, any ideas? G20 [SIZE="1"]btw[/SIZE]
Add a M Performance exhaust. It's OEM so no concerns with warranty. If I had to do only one mod, that would be it. Changes the acoustics of the car dramatically. As for other mods, the other things I've done are (M340i): MP rear diffuser (to complement the MPE), side skirts, carbon rear spoiler, wheel spacers (10f/12r), 35% tint all around, and clear bra (another must do). I'm passing on the front splitter due to clearance issues. I would do the intake, but not sure if I should considering that I don't plan on tuning this car. I don't think BMW is going to release a power kit for this car as it's already tuned, but I could be wrong. If they do, I'll definitely add it.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 04:18 AM   #3
justalexio
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:

Currently planning to add an axle back which hopefully won't have too much drone, a cold air intake, and some nicer wheels. Other than those and some nice carbon fiber parts, any ideas? G20 [SIZE="1"]btw[/SIZE]
Clear bra/PPF or vinyl wrap would be a great idea. Ceramic tint, coatings, etc I can help you with all that!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 07:49 AM   #4
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

You can do any mod you want since they can only deny warranty claims if they an show it was because of the mod. I don’t lease so no clue on those rules.

I also have no interest in tuning but my dealer was offering one that took over the warranty should there be an issue.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2020, 10:25 AM   #5
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Anything bolt on that you can easily remove you are fine. Also if you add OEM BMW accessories and leave them on, you will be fine.

Stuff like tints & PPF are also completely ok.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 08:35 AM   #6
MedBlue0719
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
I just ordered the JB+ and CAI for mine. Rear carbon fiber wing and M sport front fascia coming soon
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 08:41 AM   #7
MG20i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Mini Countryman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
….but my dealer was offering one that took over the warranty should there be an issue.
What tune would that be?? Carbahn?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 06:25 AM   #8
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG20i View Post
Sorry but since I don't tune I wasn't paying that much attention.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 08:24 AM   #9
MG20i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Mini Countryman S

Oh, OK .
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 01:09 PM   #10
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG20i View Post
Sorry but since I don't tune I wasn't paying that much attention.
That's the only one w a warranty currently being offered and is run by the creator of Dinan so my guess is it prob was Carbaughn
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 09:33 PM   #11
Shinel
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:

Currently planning to add an axle back which hopefully won't have too much drone, a cold air intake, and some nicer wheels. Other than those and some nice carbon fiber parts, any ideas? G20 btw

Respectfully, you are wrong. The SA can only tell that you have a "tune" if you bring it in with the tune to the the dealer to get it serviced.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 09:43 PM   #12
possible335i2008
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinel View Post
Quote:

Respectfully, you are wrong. The SA can only tell that you have a "tune" if you bring it in with the tune to the the dealer to get it serviced.
No that's not quite correct either, data is stored and even a piggyback leaves a trace. You have to pay to play, if your engine or transmission goes out they will do a full diagnostic. OP play it safe and leave tunes alone unless you have the cash on hand to replace major components.
Appreciate 2
city1991230.00
      03-18-2020, 10:01 PM   #13
Shinel
Private
Rep

If you are actually competent to tune your car, you should be competent enough to understand how to deal with the dealer running diagnostics on your vehicle. I have had flashes on numerous of my leased cars, and I have acted accordingly when bringing them in for service and or in for troubles. Never a problem. And even in case a catastrophic mechanical failures there is only so much SA can pull out that you yourself or your tuner can as well. Frankly, unsafe tuning of your vehicle that leads to damage to the drive train and then trying to mask it is not so ethical, but to each is own.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 10:11 PM   #14
possible335i2008
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
If you are actually competent to tune your car, you should be competent enough to understand how to deal with the dealer running diagnostics on your vehicle. I have had flashes on numerous of my leased cars, and I have acted accordingly when bringing them in for service and or in for troubles. Never a problem. And even in case a catastrophic mechanical failures there is only so much SA can pull out that you yourself or your tuner can as well. Frankly, unsafe tuning of your vehicle that leads to damage to the drive train and then trying to mask it is not so ethical, but to each is own.
Well technically any tune that pushes a vehicle beyond the limits determined by the manufacturer can be dangerous. I'm all for enjoying a vehicle but just know that ultimately the financial responsibility for any damage typically ends up with the end user, if you make alterations. Hence pay to play.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 01:31 AM   #15
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

My leased cars I just torture. And I mean torture. That's enough for me.

You could probably flash it and get away with it… As long as it doesn't blow up.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 01:47 AM   #16
Shinel
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post

You could probably flash it and get away with it… As long as it doesn't blow up.
Ha what's the point of leasing if you're not gonna torture it. Never will I ever get a bmw out of warranty. Ever.
Appreciate 2
eluded3005.00
Mb7328831.00
      03-19-2020, 01:48 AM   #17
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ha what's the point of leasing if you're not gonna torture it. Never will I ever get a bmw out of warranty. Ever.
"we just got this lease returned. Adult driven, never smoked in, excellent shape".

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 03:05 AM   #18
Shinel
Private
Rep

Quote:
"we just got this lease returned. Adult driven, never smoked in, excellent shape".

"what's 380 hp? Just used it to cummute from home to work and back in eco mode, never been to the track"
Appreciate 1
eluded3005.00
      03-19-2020, 09:07 AM   #19
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:

Leasing is simply an alternative way to finance your car. The car is still yours. It makes things easier when it is time to get a new one.

I always treat my lease cars as if they were my own. I like well cared for cars. They are more enjoyable to drive that way.

Further, lease prices are driven by residual value. BMWs tend to have strong residuals which in turn results in a less expensive lease.

If all people beat on their cars- the cars will not be worth as much when returned- the residual % will eventually go down (BMW isn't going to lose money)- the lease price on your next car (and MY next car) will go up.

Most folks that can afford to buy or lease a BMW or any other luxury vehicle just by nature take care of their things.

Torturing a lease vehicle is much the same as trashing a luxury hotel room. Luckily, folks that can afford to stay in nice places just naturally know enough to respect them.

Last edited by NewM3driver; 03-19-2020 at 09:13 AM..
Appreciate 7
      03-19-2020, 09:33 PM   #20
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
Quote:

Leasing is simply an alternative way to finance your car. The car is still yours. It makes things easier when it is time to get a new one.

I always treat my lease cars as if they were my own. I like well cared for cars. They are more enjoyable to drive that way.

Further, lease prices are driven by residual value. BMWs tend to have strong residuals which in turn results in a less expensive lease.

If all people beat on their cars- the cars will not be worth as much when returned- the residual % will eventually go down (BMW isn't going to lose money)- the lease price on your next car (and MY next car) will go up.

Most folks that can afford to buy or lease a BMW or any other luxury vehicle just by nature take care of their things.

Torturing a lease vehicle is much the same as trashing a luxury hotel room. Luckily, folks that can afford to stay in nice places just naturally know enough to respect them.
Agreed except for the last part. On the outside the vehicle will be flawless but dying on the inside. Kind of like an alcoholic that still looks good.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 02:12 PM   #21
Preciseyyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 35i G20 m340

Quote:
Quote:

False. They can see the flash counter. And the parameters the car has been running at if they look.
The dealer doesn't void cars, it's Germany as the data is sent to them.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 09:16 AM   #22
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post

Well technically, leasing a car is borrowing someone else's car - it is not yours -unless you buy it out at some point. I think this is why BMW stopped leasing cars in NY for a while as they were held liable when the driver did something stupid (cause it was BMW's car).

Regarding beating the crap out of them - I suspect that MOST people who beat the crap out of a leased car, also would do the same if they owned it.

I'm a little bit like you - in that I took amazing care of my leased cars (no I didn't do silly things like PPF of ceramic coatings - that's just a waste of money), but I did treat it very well - but I didn't get oil changes before they were required nor did I do excessive maintenance. Most dealers kept the cars I returned (I guess I can't stand a car that has been beat up that I have to drive every day).
Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00