Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Wind/Rattle Noise from my A-pillar

03-07-2020, 10:04 PM   #1
bananaleaves
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i M-Sport

Wind/Rattle Noise from my A-pillar

Hi all,

I have an ongoing issue with my 330i that my dealer just can't seem to resolve. I have this wind noise/rattle that appears to come from the top of my A-pillar, on the driver's side. To describe it - it almost sounds like the sound of opening the plastic wrapper of a peppermint candy - but it keeps on going. It seems to happen only at speeds of about 30-50 mph, and it's intermittent. It seems to happen more often if there is a crosswind.

The dealer is having a hard time fixing it because we can't replicate it. In fairness to them, they have been extremely patient. I have recorded the sound and they acknowledge there is something there. However, I went on a long test drive, for about 20 minutes, with my service adviser, and we couldn't hear a thing. Then of course, as soon as I left the dealer - there it was again!

They have already replaced the roof-rack strip once. They have also removed and re-installed the rubber strip that runs up the A-pillar. The sound is still there. I don't know what to try at this point. I feel bad taking my car to the dealer over and over again, chasing this albatross, but when the noise starts-up, I think "I love my car so much....except there is this annoying sound I can't get rid of!"

Any suggestions on what to try next? Has anyone else out there had this issue? Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 11:14 AM   #2
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaleaves View Post
Hi all,

I have an ongoing issue with my 330i that my dealer just can't seem to resolve. I have this wind noise/rattle that appears to come from the top of my A-pillar, on the driver's side. To describe it - it almost sounds like the sound of opening the plastic wrapper of a peppermint candy - but it keeps on going. It seems to happen only at speeds of about 30-50 mph, and it's intermittent. It seems to happen more often if there is a crosswind.

The dealer is having a hard time fixing it because we can't replicate it. In fairness to them, they have been extremely patient. I have recorded the sound and they acknowledge there is something there. However, I went on a long test drive, for about 20 minutes, with my service adviser, and we couldn't hear a thing. Then of course, as soon as I left the dealer - there it was again!

They have already replaced the roof-rack strip once. They have also removed and re-installed the rubber strip that runs up the A-pillar. The sound is still there. I don't know what to try at this point. I feel bad taking my car to the dealer over and over again, chasing this albatross, but when the noise starts-up, I think "I love my car so much....except there is this annoying sound I can't get rid of!"

Any suggestions on what to try next? Has anyone else out there had this issue? Thanks!!
Has it got a sunroof..quite a few issues reported on here but not aware of anything sounding like a sweet wrapper!!

Persevere with the dealer - it is absolutely their problem. I had an intermittent cracking noise on my f34 that always disappeared when the dealer had it - I know how you feel - eventually they kept it for a couple of weeks so one of their technicians could put some miles on it - he witnessed the problem on a number of occasions, they took the headliner out (no small feat and certainly no small Labour bill!) and found the sunroof frame wasn't installed correctly. Not saying that this will be the issue on your car....just demonstrating that you have to stick to your guns.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 09:44 PM   #3
bananaleaves
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i M-Sport

Thanks for the tip. It does have a moonroof but it really seems to be from the A-pillar. I have noticed it's more prevalent in the warmer weather. I'll have them check again when it's due for service next month.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 10:05 PM   #4
Bud Webber
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Leaving Car With Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
Has it got a sunroof..quite a few issues reported on here but not aware of anything sounding like a sweet wrapper!!

Persevere with the dealer - it is absolutely their problem. I had an intermittent cracking noise on my f34 that always disappeared when the dealer had it - I know how you feel - eventually they kept it for a couple of weeks so one of their technicians could put some miles on it - he witnessed the problem on a number of occasions, they took the headliner out (no small feat and certainly no small Labour bill!) and found the sunroof frame wasn't installed correctly. Not saying that this will be the issue on your car....just demonstrating that you have to stick to your guns.
FWIW, I would never leave my car with the dealer for a couple of weeks to have a problem diagnosed. If they can't find the source of a wind noise in one or two days, I wouldn't be comfortable leaving my car there for a tech or techs to drive anytime they wanted.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 02:15 PM   #5
isaac_blackg20
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i

Exclamation Rear deck/parcel shaft rattle and drivers door rattle

Hello everyone. Theres a very nasty rattle coming from what could be the rear deck or parcel shaft? Anyone else experiencing this issue and has a solution? Also, the drivers door has a small rattle not sure if its the door trims or the pillars.

I am so annoyed and tired of having to take in my car to the dealership every week. BMW cannot seem to rectify any of these issues. Is anyone in the Los Angeles, California area? PLEASE HELP!
Appreciate 0