Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Is this a garage drain or just a pit for liquid to evaporate?

08-28-2019, 10:44 AM   #23
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
that pipe could be an inlet pipe that was capped off from another drain, or could be the actual drain connection that for some reason was capped off. Suck out all the liquid from the sump and see if there are other pipes/drains coming in.
Ok just sucked the dirty water liquid out. That pipe has actually a hole going into it under it. So it's like a drain only if the level goes to high. Guess I could've leave it be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
OP? Please post a pic of it after you drain it out. My parents' have one in their garage at their new place and asked me to clean it.
Here's is a pic.

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 02:17 PM   #24
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Ok just sucked the dirty water liquid out. That pipe has actually a hole going into it under it. So it's like a drain only if the level goes to high. Guess I could've leave it be.

Here's is a pic.

Looks like they intend it to be more of an overflow than a drain.

there isnt a drain at the bottom?

If not, appears that their plan when designing/building was to have it pumped out.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 08:22 PM   #25
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Quote:
that pipe could be an inlet pipe that was capped off from another drain, or could be the actual drain connection that for some reason was capped off. Suck out all the liquid from the sump and see if there are other pipes/drains coming in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
OP? Please post a pic of it after you drain it out. My parents' have one in their garage at their new place and asked me to clean it.
Here's is a pic.

Looks like it was installed correctly, there is cap on the horizontal pipe the that can be removed to clean it out.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 08:43 PM   #26
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Looks like they intend it to be more of an overflow than a drain.

there isnt a drain at the bottom?

If not, appears that their plan when designing/building was to have it pumped out.
No, no drain I believe unless it's a grated drain. There was still a layer of thick sludge couldn't see perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 01:17 PM   #27
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
No, no drain I believe unless it's a grated drain. There was still a layer of thick sludge couldn't see perfectly.
most likely it would be a grated drain.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 08:08 AM   #28
TomHudson
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I believe the building code has to have the drain connected to your house sewer system.
I’m guessing that the pit is designed to catch any chemical spills that may leak, with the drain pipe elevated.

If you have a back flow preventer, you can run fresh water through that pipe and watch it drain out from your residence.

An illegal trap would not have that pipe, it would “French drain” under the garage.

Once clear, you can use household bleach at about 10% solution to clear out the bacteria creating the odours. The remaining water in the pit can be removed and dumped in your toilet.

Don’t flush any residual oils, fuels into the sewer.

They can be dropped off a city depots who handle that kind of waste.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3539.50
      09-12-2022, 09:17 AM   #29
Delanywud
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2

The easiest way is to study the plan of the house to find out where the hole leads. I don't have much experience with sewage, but based on the knowledge that I have, most likely, it's a drain. Most likely, the drain got clogged over the years, so it began to exude a stinky smell.
I advise you to turn to leading cantilever carport builders and make a shed in the yard to be a car. The sewer system may clog up if you constantly spill something in the garage.
However, first of all, you need to get rid of the liquid from the pit and clean it up.

Last edited by Delanywud; 09-13-2022 at 08:46 AM..
Appreciate 0