Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum Conflicted: lease M340i or buy used 2018 M2?

03-05-2020, 09:27 PM   #1
Enigma735
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i Sport Line

Conflicted: lease M340i or buy used 2018 M2?

Test drove both. The M340i is a much more competent daily driver with some thrills but obviously not a real M, though it does a good job emulating some aspects. The M2 is absolutely more thrilling to drive, but less practical and definitely less refined. Obviously 2 vs 4 doors is a consideration but less than I care to acknowledge.

I’m at the stage in my life where I’m conflicted on practicality vs thrill.

Why is this so hard...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 12:55 AM   #2
Shinel
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Easy. If you go to the track 5+ times a year, not married (or if you have a second daily), don't live in an area where the roads are shit (potholes, traffic, cops, NYC), have the money to sustain owning an M car, then get it. If on the other hand, you want an awesome daily that has all the bells and whistles of a luxury sedan, but also has that fun thrill of driving on the streets plus the ability to be able to whip it on the track if you want, where you can put a baby seat into, take the m340i. Oh and leasing it? Don't have to baby it like you would your own car (you can if you want to). I would have gotten an M4 myself, but realised that to me that car belongs on fun track days, it's a waste for me since I live in the tri state area and get out once in a while to the track or back roads in the Catskills. But, there is another factor: how do you see yourself driving it? At the end of the day you'd be driving an M vs just a regular "knockoff" m340i. And people will know. They will point fingers and say, that dudes a poser, driving a fake M. Girls won't give you the sex, guys won't either, and you'll die all alone, cold and forgotten with your m-performance non M, thinking of what could have been. Just kidding bout the last part - or am I?

Last edited by Shinel; 03-06-2020 at 01:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 05:47 AM   #3
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

i never even test drove an m2. when it first came out I really wanted one, but it just sounded like it was entirely too bad as a daily driver and I can only have one car.

I've had my m340i for only a week....but if your idea of the right car is something for your daily tasks that wont completely beat you up and still be very fast... well the m340i is great.

I have a friend who got an m235i when it came out and the m performance line is definitely more of a , exciting awesome commute, than... I occasionally track my car to the m2 and realistically they are basically the same in a straight line. So you just have to decide what you drive most often. Yeah if you get the m performance some m douchebags on the internet might say some things, but really decide what you want without thinking of those fools
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 06:01 AM   #4
37b
☠️
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

I was in the same boat and went m340i due to newer tech and more space (I have kids, though they rarely ride with me).
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 07:30 AM   #5
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

I have an M3 so not completely relevant but I often struggle with selling it to get something a little more "responsible". I've tested the M340 and off the line it would beat me in my 6MT 10 out of 10 times. The reason I didn't go for it was 3 things: first, it just didn't look as aggressive (although the optional wheels as part of the cooling package are a must and help this). The M car has a wow factor with its wide rear arches and low stance. It's something that even 4 years later, I still appreciate every time I walk up to it. Second, the interior of the M340 felt more expansive. It just felt like I was driving a MUCH bigger car and not in a good way. Third, even though I use my M3 as a DD doing mostly commuting, I live in the suburbs and the sounds, and feel you get through an M car is so much more exciting than the M340. I was very concerned I'd miss that and I'd just end up getting bored of it and regret selling the M3.

All that being said - I still struggle with just getting an M340 or an X3 M40i as they lease really well, no worries about out of warranty repairs, more space for the kids, and they are still quick enough to be fun. For now, I'm still holding on though....

I'd say if you are leasing and don't have an M car that you would have to get rid of, I'd get the M340 this time around. If you get bored of it, it's only a 3 year commitment and then you'll know next go around that you want to try something different. I did that with my 335 M-Sport. I liked it but I knew when the lease was up that I wanted the M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 09:07 AM   #6
jlapicki
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

I was in the same boat 3 years ago (although the M340i wasn't an option then) and went with the M2 because I was still (I am 73) tracking at least 4 to 6 times a summer.....BUT the M2 was great everywhere except on the roads in and around Baltimore. I had my e39 M5 as backup so only 10,000 miles on the M2....SO.....sold it and pick up the new m340i at the Performance Center in May.
2017 M2 - Alpine White / Black - SOLD
2001 e39 M5 - Titanium / Caramel - A "Keeper"
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 11:54 AM   #7
MUFCbmwbear
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M2 & 20 M340xi

Does the M2 have an certified extended warranty? Or just on existing warranty?

Id go new lease(zero down), wait for a well maintained M2 Competition on the used market if you still desire one later.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 12:38 PM   #8
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

I got to say the new M340 is a awesome car, new tech is awesome and its pretty dang fast!

I live the M2 also but a lot smaller but does look super good. Has a great presence on the road def stands out a little more.

thats a tough one.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 05:06 PM   #9
Enigma735
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i Sport Line

Thanks all much appreciated. Think I’ll pursue the M340i and if it’s not thrilling enough, it’s only a 3 year commitment.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 04:10 PM   #10
kevC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

I was in this exact boat but was actually trying to decide between a 2020 M2C and a M340i. In the end I went with the M340i because this will be my only vehicle and I live in a city with really bad roads and I almost never track my car. Price-wise I only saved a few thousand dollars because I spec'd out the M340i aggressively. I will be picking it up tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 09:54 PM   #11
BMWEnthuTony
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 6MT MG

Garage List
Ok, you can call me crazy as I have both. I have an 2018 6MT M2 with MPE and I also lease a Portimao Blue 2020 M340ix. I don't drive my M2 in the winters or snow and M340ix is the all round daily driver. Now the situation you are in is a difficult one but entirely depends on the criteria for a certain choice. Both cars are very good in their own and it completely depends on what you are specifically looking for.
M340ix - It is a sedan and more practical if you have kids (i have and there it has benefits). The beauty of this thing is the B58 engine and it is so awesome which excites me about the upcoming G80 . The engine refinement and the transmission is pretty good and the comfort and interior features makes your daily commute such a breeze. When I want to get a bit of fun, it is very capable to be driven in a spirited way. The straight line acceleration is much better than M2 in lower gears and the transmission is pretty quick.

M2 - This is a different beast and since it is 6MT, the driving experience is quite different. Due to it's RWD nature and compact size it is much more surreal driving experience. I used to daily drive it in summer but didn't really felt that uncomfortable until I drove the M340ix . Yes it has a harsher ride and it is supposed to as it is an M car. Can one daily drive it? Absolutely. But with kids it can get a bit inconvenient to get them in and out. But at the same time, there was a period of time where my kids got used to this one. But the drive is much more tight, the steering feel is better than M340 and it feels more analog than M340. (whatever analog is left in the world ). But then again even this with N55 is not considered as pure M due to it's engine and M2 Comp is the one some people swear by. So you will always have that next car which is better. But the best aspect of this car for me is the driving experience and the sound it makes with MPE.
If only I could have one car, then if I think with my head it would be the M340ix any day but the heart says M2 every time.
I don't know whether I helped you with your conundrum or not but that is my take.
Appreciate 2
G8rGrl568.50
Gorkyg48.00
      03-10-2020, 01:57 PM   #12
farcus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 AW DCT

2018 F87 owner, I have driven the m340. single/no kid/shit road/never intend to track.

If I was to do it over again or can get an equal trade I'd do M340 in a heart beat. Hell I'd even consider a 330i MSport if I can get a good trade.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 06:16 AM   #13
TorontoGambler
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 Inscription

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWEnthuTony View Post
Ok, you can call me crazy as I have both. I have an 2018 6MT M2 with MPE and I also lease a Portimao Blue 2020 M340ix. I don't drive my M2 in the winters or snow and M340ix is the all round daily driver. Now the situation you are in is a difficult one but entirely depends on the criteria for a certain choice. Both cars are very good in their own and it completely depends on what you are specifically looking for.
M340ix - It is a sedan and more practical if you have kids (i have and there it has benefits). The beauty of this thing is the B58 engine and it is so awesome which excites me about the upcoming G80 . The engine refinement and the transmission is pretty good and the comfort and interior features makes your daily commute such a breeze. When I want to get a bit of fun, it is very capable to be driven in a spirited way. The straight line acceleration is much better than M2 in lower gears and the transmission is pretty quick.

M2 - This is a different beast and since it is 6MT, the driving experience is quite different. Due to it's RWD nature and compact size it is much more surreal driving experience. I used to daily drive it in summer but didn't really felt that uncomfortable until I drove the M340ix . Yes it has a harsher ride and it is supposed to as it is an M car. Can one daily drive it? Absolutely. But with kids it can get a bit inconvenient to get them in and out. But at the same time, there was a period of time where my kids got used to this one. But the drive is much more tight, the steering feel is better than M340 and it feels more analog than M340. (whatever analog is left in the world ). But then again even this with N55 is not considered as pure M due to it's engine and M2 Comp is the one some people swear by. So you will always have that next car which is better. But the best aspect of this car for me is the driving experience and the sound it makes with MPE.
If only I could have one car, then if I think with my head it would be the M340ix any day but the heart says M2 every time.
I don't know whether I helped you with your conundrum or not but that is my take.
Well said!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 02:03 PM   #14
TXM2
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

I just sold my 2018 6MT a few days ago. It was the car I purchased as my toy and "forever car". Babied it like no one, to really annoying extents. That was until I drove the M340i during the last M Town event.
Keep in mind, I drove M5, M2C, and X3M there as well. To me, the M340i was the one to have. So much so, that it made me consider and, ultimately, sell my M2. Every post above applies to my reasoning.
M2 is great but not as practical. As my toy car, I had to coordinate the best situation so I could justify driving it. If planning on riding with more than one passenger, it was always more convenient to drive my daily or wife's SUV. The M340i is definitely not as raw, but acceleration is definitely there. Silky smooth and roomy. Convenient for every day use as well as some back road fun. And it is lease-friendly which the M2 isn't, so monthly payments are lower and won’t have to worry about anything breaking. I don't track my cars so my pocket couldn't justify "a real M".
I struggled with the decision up to the end, but just keeping the M2 for those one-off convenient life events was not helping my financial happiness. The M340i can do the same things I had my M2 for and be convenient at the same time. I'm looking forward to my M340i arriving in a couple months. I will miss the 6MT, tho.
Appreciate 3
Gdiddy23905.50
Ilyam5888.50
Gorkyg48.00