Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Adaptive LED and HBA - do they beam form?

02-05-2022, 09:15 AM   #23
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Can't say I've heard of any problems but is there a reliability issue with laser lights?
No but they’re bastard expensive if they go wrong.
To be honest there are a number of things that are potentially very costly to replace if they fail and hence there's a school of thought it's risky to run a modern BMW without a warranty - perhaps a bit glass half empty but I think I'll probably extend mine when the time comes!
Appreciate 1
siwatkins115.00
      02-05-2022, 09:42 AM   #24
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Agreed. Anything that needs replacing these days will make your eyes water.
Appreciate 1
siwatkins115.00
      02-05-2022, 07:14 PM   #25
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '69 BMW M340i xDrive (G20)

Garage List
I love the LLs and would have them on everything going forward. Then again I'm out in the sticks so a lot of unlit roads. Have to agree on the DRLs too, not sure if it's just me or non-LL cars seem to look almost like tears

Another random thought - I always seem to notice the indicators are incredibly bright too compared to a lot of cars. Usually at night on roundabouts the reflective signage is lit up like the sun being switched on/off...
Appreciate 1
siwatkins115.00
      02-05-2022, 08:27 PM   #26
philmots
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring LCI

Wouldn’t be without the Lasers, definitely would spec again. Work good and look great.

Finish off the look of the car for me.
Appreciate 1
siwatkins115.00
      02-06-2022, 02:52 AM   #27
siwatkins
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i XDrive Coupe (G22)

Definitely not a looks thing for me £1500 is a lot to improve the look if it improves it at all (beauty in the eye of the beholder). It’s about function if I go for it. Food for thought - I’ll see if I can find any side by side comparisons to see how good or marginal the improvements are. The choices on my F 4 series were LED or Adaptive LED - and the standard leds are certainly not poor as has been suggested above, so it’s hard to filter on a forum what’s real - I probably need to see the differences. Will see what’s on YouTube!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 03:10 AM   #28
siwatkins
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Found this as the first video. From this, the lasers don’t come off well, but will keep looking:
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 03:31 AM   #29
siwatkins
Second Lieutenant
Rep

But a more positive demo in an i8 here - noticeable difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 03:39 AM   #30
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by siwatkins View Post
Definitely not a looks thing for me £1500 is a lot to improve the look if it improves it at all (beauty in the eye of the beholder). It’s about function if I go for it. Food for thought - I’ll see if I can find any side by side comparisons to see how good or marginal the improvements are. The choices on my F 4 series were LED or Adaptive LED - and the standard leds are certainly not poor as has been suggested above, so it’s hard to filter on a forum what’s real - I probably need to see the differences. Will see what’s on YouTube!
Go to your dealer and see for yourself, test a car side by side to see the difference. That’s why they have demonstrators. Forum members here have told you how good they are but you are still trying to justify the cost comparing it to your 2018 car which back then options and models were different in what they offer let alone the technology advances. The video you have found has to be taken with a pinch of salt also as they aren’t euro spec cars. The lighting in other continents have different rules to comply with.
Unless you are paying cash for the car, the cost will be around £30 a month as the vis pack will make your GFMV higher at the end. I would never order a car without it.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 1
siwatkins115.00
      02-06-2022, 03:52 AM   #31
JNW1
Major General
Rep

I have laser lights and, while they're good, being absolutely honest I'd don't find them that much better than either the xenons in my old F31 335d or the LED's in Mrs JNW1's Cooper S. The selective beam function is nice to have but if I was speccing again and on a budget I think the Visibility Pack is one of the things I'd do without - they're good but IMO I'm not sure they're worth £1500 over LED's.
Appreciate 1
siwatkins115.00
      02-06-2022, 03:54 AM   #32
xenon
Major General
England
Rep

If it’s hard to “filter on a forum what’s real” why do you bother asking? Like with the badge, you solicit opinion and then promptly disagree with opinions that don’t match yours. The laser lights are significantly better if your driving profile suits them and standard LEDs are satisfactory but not great. That’s it.
Appreciate 5
bmnut813.50
goodbyalfa1056.00
Keith_C179.00
      02-06-2022, 03:57 AM   #33
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
If it’s hard to “filter on a forum what’s real” why do you bother asking? Like with the badge, you solicit opinion and then promptly disagree with opinions that don’t match yours. The laser lights are significantly better if your driving profile suits them and standard LEDs are satisfactory but not great. That’s it.
This is the same as what I’ve found with the laser lights compared to my previous two F32s both of which had adaptive LEDs
Appreciate 1
siwatkins115.00
      02-06-2022, 04:13 AM   #34
xenon
Major General
England
Rep

Adaptive xenons on the F series cars were excellent.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 3
      02-06-2022, 04:22 AM   #35
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
To be fair I suspect the OP was hoping for a clear consensus to help with his decision making but in reality hasn't quite got one!

I think there's more benefit with laser lights if you do a lot of night driving on country roads and do so at speeds where the lasers are operational most of the time. However, I live in a relatively rural location and, like I say, I don't think the laser lights in my car are massively better than the LED's in Mrs JNW1's Mini or the xenons I had in my old F31. If money was no object I'd still spec laser lights again but if funds were restricted they'd be one of things I'd do without....
Appreciate 1
siwatkins115.00
      02-06-2022, 04:51 AM   #36
siwatkins
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy View Post
Go to your dealer and see for yourself, test a car side by side to see the difference. That’s why they have demonstrators. Forum members here have told you how good they are but you are still trying to justify the cost comparing it to your 2018 car which back then options and models were different in what they offer let alone the technology advances. The video you have found has to be taken with a pinch of salt also as they aren’t euro spec cars. The lighting in other continents have different rules to comply with.
Unless you are paying cash for the car, the cost will be around £30 a month as the vis pack will make your GFMV higher at the end. I would never order a car without it.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Thanks - yes I think you are right about the different markets. The dealer tells me it makes no difference to GMFV but I’ll check. Nor to future part ex value. He said his perception on his X5 was that it was a barely noticeable difference. He is the one with the vested interest to sell to me, but I’m getting conflicting views hence the sanity check. And it’s a reasonable investment. I think for me I’m still unsure either way so I’ll see if I can get a demo of both, at night!

Last edited by siwatkins; 02-06-2022 at 05:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2022, 04:55 AM   #37
siwatkins
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I’m not disagreeing and this is nothing to do with badging - I asked a question there about cost, and got lots of opinions on badges - some fairly obnoxious, not about the badge but judgement over personal choice. This is about function. I’m not disagreeing with anyone, I’m just trying to inform a decision. My decision. I’m really unclear why a few people on here have an issue with that?

Last edited by siwatkins; 02-06-2022 at 05:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 05:08 AM   #38
siwatkins
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
To be fair I suspect the OP was hoping for a clear consensus to help with his decision making but in reality hasn't quite got one!

I think there's more benefit with laser lights if you do a lot of night driving on country roads and do so at speeds where the lasers are operational most of the time. However, I live in a relatively rural location and, like I say, I don't think the laser lights in my car are massively better than the LED's in Mrs JNW1's Mini or the xenons I had in my old F31. If money was no object I'd still spec laser lights again but if funds were restricted they'd be one of things I'd do without....
Thank you for this - yes, this is the issue. And maybe I do need to compare side by side at night or take a £1500 leap of faith. I don’t do a huge amount of night driving to be honest, so it’s probably why it’s a marginal decision. Also I think there are probably differing perceptions of the laser efficacy because in some markets like the US they sound like they are a bit nobbled. Money isn’t no object - it’s affordable, but it’s £1500 - 3% of the value of the car. And in isolation is a holiday. I’m just trying to assess if I will get sufficient value from it, or will regret not having it. Dealer (x2) says not to bother, those who have it seem to have mixed opinions from yes it’s a must have to no, I’d not spec it again. It’s perhaps that’s why it’s difficult,

I’m sure we all tick options on our new cars and skip over others. One I previously regretted was adaptive cruise control so have fixed that this time. I’ve ticked Tech Plus, Comfort Plus, just not this one and build will soon go into freeze so I’m just sanity checking my decision before it’s too late. Thank you for seeing both sides of my angst.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 05:10 AM   #39
P-ToK72
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

I tried recently to add Laser Lights to my build spec but was told that any changes to my order will push it back again. (M340i touring ordered August and still waiting).

If I had known at the time that the delays would be as they are i would have included them as I could have added more deposit by the time of collection and put up with the extra monthlies.

I haven't driven a 3 series a night with "standard" adaptive LED but having now driven through the winter with my M135i which has excellent headlights I feel that it would have been a must. I suppose at the time of ordering I hadn't read up enough to realise there was a difference.

On top of that there is the fact that, in my opinion, the DRL and the Blue Laser bit do look much better.

My two pennies worth, horses for courses though.

Currently driving G21 M340i Touring
Previous F40 M135i and F31 335d Touring
Appreciate 1
siwatkins115.00
      02-06-2022, 05:24 AM   #40
siwatkins
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-ToK72 View Post
I tried recently to add Laser Lights to my build spec but was told that any changes to my order will push it back again. (M340i touring ordered August and still waiting).

If I had known at the time that the delays would be as they are i would have included them as I could have added more deposit by the time of collection and put up with the extra monthlies.

I haven't driven a 3 series a night with "standard" adaptive LED but having now driven through the winter with my M135i which has excellent headlights I feel that it would have been a must. I suppose at the time of ordering I hadn't read up enough to realise there was a difference.

On top of that there is the fact that, in my opinion, the DRL and the Blue Laser bit do look much better.

I think given where I am a threat of a delay would help with the decision! though my dealer said I had till the end of this month to make up my mind pretty much but I have not tested that other than with minor tweaks! I’m less bothered about the appearance differences - I am ambivalent on this aspect. Thanks for your thoughts.
Appreciate 1
P-ToK72342.00
      02-06-2022, 05:29 AM   #41
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-ToK72 View Post

But in a sense that's part of the conundrum the OP faces! I don't think the M135i comes with laser lights - or even has them available as an option - so if you considered the lights on your car excellent they're going to be no better than the standard adaptive LED's that come with an M340i. That being the case the laser lights have to be going some to justify spending an extra £1500 and, if you don't do much night driving on country roads, the benefit's marginal IMO.
Appreciate 1
siwatkins115.00
      02-06-2022, 05:41 AM   #42
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

If you don't do a lot of country Lane driving at night, save your cash if you need to budget. As long as you have HUD, seat and steering wheel heaters ticked, you will love the car.

The dancing laser lights are awesome IMHO, best lights I've ever had. I like the fact they switch off the right hand light if someone is coming towards you, leaving a full beam on the left verge. Really helps you keep focused on the road and what's coming.

If you take one weekend break a year to say the peak District in your car, and drive at night, you will thank your finger for clicking the option..
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 1
siwatkins115.00
      02-06-2022, 05:48 AM   #43
siwatkins
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyalfa View Post
If you don't do a lot of country Lane driving at night, save your cash if you need to budget. As long as you have HUD, seat and steering wheel heaters ticked, you will love the car.

The dancing laser lights are awesome IMHO, best lights I've ever had. I like the fact they switch off the right hand light if someone is coming towards you, leaving a full beam on the left verge. Really helps you keep focused on the road and what's coming.

If you take one weekend break a year to say the peak District in your car, and drive at night, you will thank your finger for clicking the option..
You know, that’s really helpful. I don’t do a lot of country lane driving at night it’s true. It’s not really an affordability question or I’d not be splurging in this as my early retirement car - I’d buy something cheaper. It’s more about value and function that I’d gain. I think the selective beam bit was what was seducing me more than a bit more light or indeed any appearance differences. And if the Adaptive in conjunction with HBA still did that I’d have a much easier decision (I’d not spend the extra). No, that’s cleared it up I think as to why I’d want the laser lights or not. That’s where the value for me would sit - in the selective beam stuff. Appreciated - still don’t know if I’ll pull the trigger, but if I do, it will be for that and that alone. S
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 05:53 AM   #44
barian
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 318i

It might be helpful to separate out the additional features of the visibility pack. Firstly, there is the longer range main beam with the laser lights. Second, the selective beam forming which, in effect, allows most of the main beam illumination to remain on when there is approaching traffic, or vehicles ahead. I came from a Mercedes with ILS (intelligent light system) which had the beam forming but not the long range laser lights. I found the Mercedes system very good and my starting point was that I wanted the visibility pack on the BMW. However, when I specced the other things I definitely wanted, like driver assistance, adding the visibility pack would have taken me over the £40k list point with the higher VED, so the effective cost over 5 years would, in my case have been around £3k not £1.5k. Having read the comments here, and taking into account my pattern of use which involves very little driving on unlit rural roads, I decided that was too much. But I was worried that I had made a mistake. As it turns out, I am happy with my choice.

Going back to the separate benefits of the visibility pack, I think that the main beam range of the adaptive LED's is good enough that I wouldn't drive faster if I could see further ahead, although I appreciate others might take a different view (no pun intended!). In relation to the selective beam forming, I find the standard adaptive light function, while obviously not as good, does provide surprisingly good illumination when dipped. In particular it picks out the nearside of the road very well. My overall conclusion (and I appreciate I have not made a direct comparison) is that on unlit rural roads with other traffic the visibility pack would probably allow me safely to drive a little bit quicker, but that is it.

I should add that, if the OP opts for the standard lights, he would be well advised to add the high beam assistant (HBA) which is £150 through the Connect Drive store. In my case, if the net cost had been £1350 rather than £3k and even though I do very little driving on rural roads, I would probably have gone for the visibility pack. But then I am a sucker for technology and there is some pleasure to be derived from seeing the lights do their magic tricks. So, as others have commented, a lot may depend on the pattern of use. Even allowing for this, if the OP is concerned that not opting for the visibility pack will prove a serious limitation, I think he should not be.
Appreciate 1
siwatkins115.00