Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK BMW Advanced Car Eye 3.0 Pro

10-09-2023, 02:10 AM   #89
xDrive320D
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M-Sport Touring xDriv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
Maybe I'm not getting this app thing right but when I connect to camera and start to have a rake through the recorded events list the camera disconnects from my iPhone and I have to go through the re-connect all over again. So my question is does the car need to have the engine running whilst stationary and I'm checking the camera or will 'ignition ready' state be sufficient?

Does the unit go into a stand-by 'sleep' mode when the car is switched off and if so how long after switching off the engine?

I'm not very competent with these app based things at the best of times so I'm not really sure what I'm doing!

Starting to regret not going for the 3.0 Pro now, at least I could have 'interrogated' the unit from the attached screen as opposed to through the bloody app!.......Might explore the possibility of swapping for the Pro with the dealer since these have only been fitted a week ago and as far as mine was concerned was back in the bodyshop for most of that anyway!
My car is locked away all week in a garage, if I check the recordings the next time I use the car it always records "radar activated" recordings which seem to stop 24 hours after I lock the car away..

I presume this is the battery saving feature to stop it flattening the car battery..

I have had that a couple of times when you go through the list, it will disconnect.. suspect typical BMW app issues just like the MyBMW app...
      10-09-2023, 04:36 AM   #90
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

That’s useful, thank you, it’s not me then!
Reckon you could well be right the BMW apps are notorious for being flaky at best of times.
I’m going to speak with my installing dealer about swapping the 3.0’s out for the Pro versions. The Parts manager has already intimated they would be able to do it for the cost of merely the difference in the price between the two versions for each car.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 05:33 AM   #91
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

Don’t think the app is written by BMW this time. It’s a white labelled Thinkware device.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 05:42 AM   #92
xDrive320D
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
Don’t think the app is written by BMW this time. It’s a white labelled Thinkware device.
Think your right
      10-10-2023, 04:33 PM   #93
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Both cars back to the dealership during the course of today and had both of the 3.0's exchanged for the Pro versions. The dealer was exceptionally good over it all. Only the front and rear cameras needed swapping on both cars as the mounts are the same as the 3.0 as are the wiring looms.
Much happier now with the result and find it much more useful to locate video files that have records 'triggered' events on the unit itself as opposed to searching through the app.

Still early days for me understanding how these things work and one thing I haven't been able to fathom out is how do I get a copy of a video file and then, for example, e-mail to myself so I have a permanent record of the event?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 04:39 PM   #94
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb993 View Post
A while back I contacted the manufacturers (Thinkware) to find out the differences. The cameras are the same in the Pro and non-Pro versions, and the non-Pro does have radar for motion detection in Parking Mode, but unlike the Pro version you cannot adjust its sensitivity.

If you haven't already got it, here's a link for the User Manual so you can familiarise yourself with it's features. I've also given the link for the non-Pro version so you can compare the specifications.

I've also given the link for the Thinkware Dashcam Viewer (Mac and PC versions) - it is no longer supported, but it works fine. It's very good, and allows you to view both cameras simultaneously, shows the car's position on a map, etc.

When I got mine the Pro version hadn't been released in the UK - the Pro's screen will be a bonus. Despite that, I have been very happy with mine.

https://www.ace-30.com/Content/manua...ce3_pro_en.pdf

https://www.ace-30.com/Content/manua...mw_ace3_en.pdf

https://thinkwarestore.com/pc-mac-viewer/
I found the links for the instruction manuals extremely useful but the link for the thinkware Mac viewer tells me the software is no longer available. So how can you get the video files from the camera SD card? Do you just plug it into a Mac with a card reader or do you need a program to access the data?

You can probably guess I'm not too well up on this technology malarky!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 02:31 AM   #95
xDrive320D
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Both cars back to the dealership during the course of today and had both of the 3.0's exchanged for the Pro versions. The dealer was exceptionally good over it all. Only the front and rear cameras needed swapping on both cars as the mounts are the same as the 3.0 as are the wiring looms.
Much happier now with the result and find it much more useful to locate video files that have records 'triggered' events on the unit itself as opposed to searching through the app.

Still early days for me understanding how these things work and one thing I haven't been able to fathom out is how do I get a copy of a video file and then, for example, e-mail to myself so I have a permanent record of the event?

Excellent seems you have a good dealer like me now lol

Veiwing on the screen is better and faster than using the APP think that is down to it having to transfer everything rather than just viewing direct
      10-11-2023, 02:34 AM   #96
xDrive320D
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I found the links for the instruction manuals extremely useful but the link for the thinkware Mac viewer tells me the software is no longer available. So how can you get the video files from the camera SD card? Do you just plug it into a Mac with a card reader or do you need a program to access the data?

You can probably guess I'm not too well up on this technology malarky!
I downloaded the Thinkware software for Windows.. from here

Does say it is now no longer supported I think but seems to work, seems it only works with MAC up to a certain version

I believe you can just put the SD card in an adaptor and download recordings
      10-11-2023, 02:40 AM   #97
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive320D View Post
I downloaded the Thinkware software for Windows.. from here

Does say it is now no longer supported I think but seems to work, seems it only works with MAC up to a certain version

I believe you can just put the SD card in an adaptor and download recordings
Thanks for the reply!
I’ll have a look later today and see what I can figure out trying an SD card adapter.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 02:41 AM   #98
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

The link won’t work for me for some reason?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 02:50 AM   #99
xDrive320D
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The link won’t work for me for some reason?
Strange seems to work for me lol

I got a cheap adaptor off Amazon just in case I do want to use it
      10-11-2023, 10:25 AM   #100
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

So I can't run the Thinkware Mac viewer because the last supported system was OS 12 which is Monterey and my Mac runs OS 13 Ventura, so buggered on that one!

Anyone know how I can view the data on the micro SD card then?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 11:18 AM   #101
sjb993
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i XDrive MHT

Quote:
So I can't run the Thinkware Mac viewer because the last supported system was OS 12 which is Monterey and my Mac runs OS 13 Ventura, so buggered on that one!

Anyone know how I can view the data on the micro SD card then?
That's strange, it worked fine for me in OS 13 Ventura, and last week I updated to OS 14 Sonoma and it's still working fine. Are you using Thinkware Version 1.9.2 (shown in BLC of screen)?

Before I discovered the Thinkware player, I used VLC on my Mac - you could try that. It's not as good as the Thinkware App, but may suffice if all else fails.

EDIT: on reflection, I used VLC on my Mac when I had an ACE 2.0 and the ACE viewer didn't run on OS 12 Monterey. ACE 2.0 videos were incompatible with most other OS 12players because front and rear videos clips were combined in a single file. ACE 3.0 front and rear vidoe clips are separate MP4 files, so video players such as Quicktime can be used.

Last edited by sjb993; 10-13-2023 at 06:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 04:23 PM   #102
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That's strange, it worked fine for me in OS 13 Ventura, and last week I updated to OS 14 Sonoma and it's still working fine. Are you using Thinkware Version 1.9.2 (shown in BLC of screen)?

Before I discovered the Thinkware player, I used VLC on my Mac - you could try that. It's not as good as the Thinkware App, but may suffice if all else fails.
This is what I get from the download?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 04:55 PM   #103
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This is what I get from the download?
View it in finder, drag it to your /Applications folder, then right-click and press 'Open', a pop-up will appear, click 'open' again. Bosh!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 05:20 PM   #104
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
View it in finder, drag it to your /Applications folder, then right-click and press 'Open', a pop-up will appear, click 'open' again. Bosh!
Thanks Paul, knew someone on here would know what to do and it wasn't going to be me!

This is a screenshot of what I get following your instructions so I assume all I need to do now is get a microSD card reader that I can plug into my Mac?.....You just know what the next question is going to be don't you?.....yep!...what card reader do you use?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 02:24 AM   #105
sjb993
Lieutenant
Rep

Glad you got the App sorted. A card reader such as this will be fine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDD...7G5JV2B5&psc=1

Also, you might want to get a larger microSD card whilst you're at it. Here's an extract of an email I got from the ACE support team about how this disc space is partitioned. 128 GB is the largest size supported (it doesn't like 256GB).

The original BMW 32GB SD card can save 78 minutes of driving recordings – when both the front camera and rear camera is on. Incident recordings are saved 26 minutes, and manual recordings are 8 minutes, and the parking recordings – when the shock is detected while parking mode – are 46 minutes.

64GB SD card can save 157 minutes of driving recordings when both the front camera and rear camera is on. 53 minutes of Incident recordings are saved, and manual recordings are 17 minutes, and the parking recordings – when the shock is detected while parking mode – are 92 minutes.

128GB SD card can save 316 minutes of driving recordings. Incident recordings are saved 107 minutes, and manual recordings are 126 minutes. Also, the parking recordings - when the shock is detected while parking mode - are 153 minutes.

After the time allocated for each part, it will be overwritten from the beginning.
Appreciate 1
bmnut813.50
      10-12-2023, 02:38 AM   #106
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You just know what the next question is going to be don't you?.....yep!...what card reader do you use?
My Mac (MacBook Pro) has an SD card reader built in. Double check that yours hasn't before you buy anything!
Appreciate 1
bmnut813.50
      10-12-2023, 03:10 AM   #107
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Also, you might want to get a larger microSD card whilst you're at it. Here's an extract of an email I got from the ACE support team about how this disc space is partitioned. 128 GB is the largest size supported (it doesn't like 256GB).

The original BMW 32GB SD card can save 78 minutes of driving recordings – when both the front camera and rear camera is on. Incident recordings are saved 26 minutes, and manual recordings are 8 minutes, and the parking recordings – when the shock is detected while parking mode – are 46 minutes.

64GB SD card can save 157 minutes of driving recordings when both the front camera and rear camera is on. 53 minutes of Incident recordings are saved, and manual recordings are 17 minutes, and the parking recordings – when the shock is detected while parking mode – are 92 minutes.

128GB SD card can save 316 minutes of driving recordings. Incident recordings are saved 107 minutes, and manual recordings are 126 minutes. Also, the parking recordings - when the shock is detected while parking mode - are 153 minutes.

After the time allocated for each part, it will be overwritten from the beginning.
Thanks for this sjb993.....now I've had them swapped over for the Pro versions they have the 64GB cards supplied so I'll see how they fare over the next few days or so until I get the hang of working these critters!
Very useful that response from the ACE support team you copied for me...much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 03:16 AM   #108
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My Mac (MacBook Pro) has an SD card reader built in. Double check that yours hasn't before you buy anything!
Thanks Paul. No I'll have to get an adapter, we have a standalone iMac and the version we have scrapped the SD card slot the previous Mac had on the side so I could just get an SD card size adapter and use it with the Apple SD card to USB adapter I have for the digital camera SD cards.
Thanks for the tip though!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 09:42 AM   #109
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Followed your suggestion regarding the card reader which arrived today from Amazon. The genuine one I might add as I was mindful of Paul's (I think it was him?) warning re knock-off ones on Amazon so made sure it was the one from SanDisk.
Just given it a try and it's spot-on direct from the drive and unlike the Thinkware card reader program lists the video events under separate headings for driving, parking, event, etc so well pleased...thanks guys!
The thinkware software works fine as well but just lists every video under the 'All' column so not quite as easy to find a specific piece of footage.
All in all though all good now!
Appreciate 2
      10-13-2023, 10:49 AM   #110
sjb993
Lieutenant
Rep

Just in case you hadn't realised, the filenames give the time and date. You can use those to home in on video clips of interest.

For example, clip highlighted in the screen shot was recorded at 15:37:00 on 28/06/2022.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0