Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Reverting back to standard (briefly)

01-14-2023, 10:39 AM   #1
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Reverting back to standard (briefly)

My m340 just went in for a service so had to plug the exhaust flap back in and remove the racechip. I had forgotten just how much difference the simple flap unplug makes.

As for performance the 340 is obviously no slouch as standard but the lower torque was noticeable and definitely lacked the extra oomph. Did make me think assuming circumstances allowed where would I ideally go next.

I was having a mooch round the show room and they had some nice kit.
The m3/4 nose is no longer quite so offensive and over all the m340 big brothers do look good. The m240 they had looked nice but not practical enough (same for any 3 door).

I'm sure the electric i4m Xxx will provide the acceleration as would a full blown m obviously, but lack of noise would be an issue (I'm guessing never driven an electric car).

An m3 touring or m5 would be ideal but currently out of price range so who knows.

Anyway rambling thoughts on a rainy afternoon!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 03:23 PM   #2
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Get yourself a test drive in a F90 Comp (preLCI, wherever possible, as they sound considerably better) and see what it does for you. I was in your position, with a M340i that I much adored; the G80 appealed, but the price point for new was a bit eye-watering (especially as you have to spec the laser lights and the exterior carbon pack to make it look properly classy and fully menacing). Then I discovered that the 40i has by all accounts more low-down torque anyway than the S58, so one wonders what the real-world advantages (apart from obvious M-class bragging rights and trackday superiority) would be over the M340i. Of course, the same could be said for the 'unusable' power surplus of my M5, with respect to how much you can access its capabilities in reality... But, I concluded that as upgrades go, this would take me into the M-realm with monstrous power and fantastic touring capacity. In everyday use, the M5 is gratifyingly imposing—there's nothing like a V8 to afford a real sense of occasion every time you press the ignition. But more to your point, it's not off the financial scale in comparison to new G series models (especially if you have equity in your 40i), and even if you look for a low mileage 2019/20 example with good ownership history. Good luck, anyway, with the ongoing ruminations!

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 02:22 AM   #3
mattyrallye
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 LCI 330e M Sport

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
My m340 just went in for a service so had to plug the exhaust flap back in and remove the racechip. I had forgotten just how much difference the simple flap unplug makes.

As for performance the 340 is obviously no slouch as standard but the lower torque was noticeable and definitely lacked the extra oomph. Did make me think assuming circumstances allowed where would I ideally go next.

I was having a mooch round the show room and they had some nice kit.
The m3/4 nose is no longer quite so offensive and over all the m340 big brothers do look good. The m240 they had looked nice but not practical enough (same for any 3 door).

I'm sure the electric i4m Xxx will provide the acceleration as would a full blown m obviously, but lack of noise would be an issue (I'm guessing never driven an electric car).

An m3 touring or m5 would be ideal but currently out of price range so who knows.

Anyway rambling thoughts on a rainy afternoon!

Have you driven a i4 m sport? Rapid, I know not an internal combustion engine car but 350bhp in electric form is a whole new way of power deployment.

The valence of the car was superb also. Loved my time with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 02:31 AM   #4
Herr Gross Byte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyrallye View Post
Have you driven a i4 m sport? Rapid, I know not an internal combustion engine car but 350bhp in electric form is a whole new way of power deployment.

I've never driven one but I seem to overtake them often as they fret about % battery remaining and where they are going to recharge.
Appreciate 2
      02-04-2023, 02:32 AM   #5
mattyrallye
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 LCI 330e M Sport

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Gross Byte View Post
I've never driven one but I seem to overtake them often as they fret about % battery remaining and where they are going to recharge.
Fair comment.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 02:48 AM   #6
stuarttunstall
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyrallye View Post

The valence of the car was superb also. Loved my time with it.
The Tesla 3 is between 238HP- 462HP and the Model S 306HP - 772HP equivalent depending on model ...

The new S Plaid is 1020HP a car which will I think will see people killed! 0-60 in less than 2 seconds is a danger I think! https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/models
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 04:04 AM   #7
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Gross Byte View Post
I had a bit of a sport with someone from the lights in the new iX in my 840i, and while it beat me off the mark I went sailing past it fairly easily and fairly quickly. Electric cars have zero appeal to me - soulless in my opinion.

An early M5 is definitely worth considering, but a good one with low miles and good spec is still north of £50k for a 2018 car. I had one as a courtesy car for a week once (long story) and as instantly in love with it as I was, it is ludicrously fast for the UK roads - foot down and you’re at license losing speeds in a matter of a couple of seconds. Personally I’d stick with the M340 - still to this day one of the best every day packages you can buy.
Appreciate 1
DavidXJ663.00
      02-04-2023, 04:45 AM   #8
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post
I had a bit of a sport with someone from the lights in the new iX in my 840i, and while it beat me off the mark I went sailing past it fairly easily and fairly quickly. Electric cars have zero appeal to me - soulless in my opinion.

An early M5 is definitely worth considering, but a good one with low miles and good spec is still north of £50k for a 2018 car. I had one as a courtesy car for a week once (long story) and as instantly in love with it as I was, it is ludicrously fast for the UK roads - foot down and you’re at license losing speeds in a matter of a couple of seconds. Personally I’d stick with the M340 - still to this day one of the best every day packages you can buy.
Good advice here (and good to hear you won out in the end with that iX! Of course EVs have all they immediate torque; but their acceleration times are soon going to become a gimmick, if they're not already).

And I'd second the praise for the everyday splendour of the M340i: unless you're looking for that extra level of chassis dynamism and agility that a full M would afford, it's really an utterly complete creature.

And yes, M5s are still holding their second hand value, and you'd probably want to go for the Competition, and thus pay the premium, anyway, as it's a different animal.

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 1