Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications bootmod3: CustomROM for BMW GEN2 B58 and B48 vehicles, including the A9x Supra!

05-16-2023, 07:36 PM   #1
proTUNING Freaks
Rep
Drives: powered by bootmod3

Thumbs up bootmod3: CustomROM for BMW GEN2 B58 and B48 vehicles, including the A9x Supra!

Hey gents, wanted to share our latest update with the community here as well. Any questions, let us know. Wish you all the best!

===

Our LARGEST CustomROM software update ever is finally here bringing our Map Switching, Flex Fuel, AntiLag, In-Dash Ethanol content checking to your BMW GEN2 B58 and B48 vehicles, including the A9x Supra!💪😍

With the power of automation built over the last year which we applied in our S58 release for the first time, we managed to cover a GRAND total of 25 new ROMs including even some partial Mild Hybrid cars. Complete Mild Hybrid to follow in the next release!

🔸DMEs requiring Femto unlock get the CustomROM at the time of unlock. If already unlocked, you need to resend to get this update, limitation of the unlock process

🔸BM3 Flex Fuel kits are also now available for all additional CustomROM supported vehicles including OEM Fuel Hat and Engine Bay Location installation kits for all S58, B58 and B48 including Supra

🔸No DME cloning required!

🔸List of ROMs covered in this update is published on our Release Notes Wiki

🔥We didn't stop there! Along with this CustomROM update, we've also pushed out v2.0.8 of the bootmod3 app adding some really big features including:

🔸Map config save/sync without internet access
- Make changes to your map config without internet access. When ready, config is sent to servers and map is downloaded with those settings applied

🔸Diagnostic DTC Code Read for inactive/shadow codes
- Now you can view both permanent and temporary/intermittent codes thrown by your vehicle modules.

🔸Diagnostics Code History Screen
- Archive of read codes organized by date/time with ability to copy codes to clipboard and send to anyone for discussion/review.

🔸Custom Tuning: Full Offline Custom Tuning support via external Map Editors using BM3C file
- First time ever, bm3 cloud services and map storage are now optional
- Export the Map Request from bm3 as a raw bin and use an editor such as WinOLS to build the custom map. Encrypt it using the v2 app or OBD Agent (no internet or cloud access required), and send to customer via email who flashes it to their vehicle without access to the bm3 cloud.
- If you're looking to keep your files entirely private/offline, now you can!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-17-2023, 08:48 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 12:48 PM   #3
GA/\/\/\/\A_CT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘20 m340ix

How does this compare to Ecutek?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 02:08 PM   #4
dustwhyn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA/\/\/\/\A_CT View Post
How does this compare to Ecutek?
Considering Ecutek is owned by the same parent company as Cobb, and they completely neutered the Cobb software to comply with all of the EPA BS, and also recently announced similar changes for Ecutek, bootmod3 is going to be your best bet from here on out. Feature sets are relatively the same now that CustomROM is available for gen 2 cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 04:03 PM   #5
GA/\/\/\/\A_CT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘20 m340ix

Not sure how that make sense? Aren’t all the fastest b58 on Ecutek? I understood that Ecutek allows more control around port injection and other more advanced tuning concepts. But I was hoping to hear more of a feature analysis.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 04:43 PM   #6
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Although the post says "All Gen2 B58 cars and Femto unlock cars" it does not apply to all Mild Hybrid cars. This is creating some confusion in some BMW groups. Custom ROM support for all Mild Hybrid cars is coming, and I've asked for estimated timing on that support. If you're not yet Femto unlocked, don't send it out to Femto yet without confirming your ROM version. BM3 support asked me to hold off until full support is provided without knowing my ROM version for my '21 M340.

ROM versions supported listed here: https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/wiki/...+Release+Notes
"Release also has partial Mild Hybrid support, full support to be covered in the following release!"

Last edited by B58-M340iX; 05-17-2023 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 07:40 PM   #7
GD1981
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58-M340iX View Post
Although the post says "All Gen2 B58 cars and Femto unlock cars" it does not apply to all Mild Hybrid cars. This is creating some confusion in some BMW groups. Custom ROM support for all Mild Hybrid cars is coming, and I've asked for estimated timing on that support. If you're not yet Femto unlocked, don't send it out to Femto yet without confirming your ROM version. BM3 support asked me to hold off until full support is provided without knowing my ROM version for my '21 M340.

ROM versions supported listed here: https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/wiki/...+Release+Notes
"Release also has partial Mild Hybrid support, full support to be covered in the following release!"

This.

Mine is femto unlocked and unfortunately my ROM isn’t on that initial list. That said, they did say its a few weeks away, so patiently waiting now.

Last edited by GD1981; 05-17-2023 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 08:17 PM   #8
GD1981
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not sure how that make sense? Aren’t all the fastest b58 on Ecutek? I understood that Ecutek allows more control around port injection and other more advanced tuning concepts. But I was hoping to hear more of a feature analysis.
Yes, this is true, but now that customROM will be widely available for the Gen2 B58, lets see how far tuners will be able to push things. Will be interesting to see how things unfold as more and more owners take advantage of the new suite of features with CustomROM.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 10:17 PM   #9
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GD1981 View Post
This.

Mine is femto unlocked and unfortunately my ROM isn’t on that initial list. That said, they did say its a few weeks away, so patiently waiting now.
There's a possibility you'll have to send yours back to Femto. If it wasn't provisioned with CustomROM alongside the BM3 config, you'll only have the unlock option. BM3 has confirmed in several posts that if you're already unlocked and have not provisioned CustomROM at the time of unlock by Femto that the DME will have to go back. It's a limitation of the unlock process.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 06:31 AM   #10
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

BM3 FTW! Congrats! This is an amazing update!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 07:00 AM   #11
GD1981
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58-M340iX View Post
There's a possibility you'll have to send yours back to Femto. If it wasn't provisioned with CustomROM alongside the BM3 config, you'll only have the unlock option. BM3 has confirmed in several posts that if you're already unlocked and have not provisioned CustomROM at the time of unlock by Femto that the DME will have to go back. It's a limitation of the unlock process.
Not a possibility, but a given that I have to resend it, which I’m okay with.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 10:40 PM   #12
dustwhyn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Port injection is not controlled by the DME in any case, it’s controlled by an external controller such as the Motiv Reflex, and ability to use a controller is not limited to the tuning platform that you choose. The only leg-up, so to speak, that any one platform had on the others was MHD+ on gen 1 cars allowing a limited interface between the Reflex Plus and your DME for safety and error reporting, but these features have not yet been implemented on gen 2 cars, as MHD+ is not even on the horizon yet. But with Ecutek losing a lot of features in the near future, and bootmod3 now gaining features with CustomROM, bootmod3 is going to be the better choice. Feel free to research and compare features, tables, etc if you’d like. There’s far too much for me to just list here.
Appreciate 0