Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Drivetrain malfunction with DME unlock with JB4, now trying Bootmod3

12-12-2023, 09:14 PM   #1
Dilber
Kame Society YT Channel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i (G20)

Drivetrain malfunction with DME unlock with JB4, now trying Bootmod3

I've been running JB4 for about 2 years now and haven't had any success reading or clearing codes (also my remote start didn't work either). So I decided I wanted to switch to Bootmod3.

After getting my DME bench unlocked, I installed the ECU back in thinking that I'll be able to run JB4 still. I reconnected my battery, saw a "Drivetrain failure" error, and couldn't start the car.
So... might as well install Bootmod3 now to clear whatever codes there were and run the tunes I wanted, right?

While I had the battery disconnected, I removed my JB4 unit and then replugged the two connectors that I had removed originally.
I installed first the stock tune, cleared my codes and still had the same error. I've included a picture of all my codes but here they are as a list too:
  • 123701 - Electrical wastegate, position sensor, electrical: Short circuit to positive
  • 119113 - Rail pressure sensor: short circuit to plus
  • 191004 - tank vent valve, control: line break
  • CD9001 - LIN, communication (charge air coolant pump): missing
  • 12B103 - Heating Lambdasonde1 bank1, control: line break
  • 164020 - intake camshaft sensor, electrical: short circuit to positive
  • 164030 - exhaust camshaft sensor, electrical: Short circuit to positive
  • 102A58 - intake air temperature sensor after air filter: Substitute reaction

Some of these might be from mods that I've done.

I have disconnected the battery in the engine bay before and had sparks fly when trying to reconnect it for a wipe motor replacement job I did. After that, I had a yellow "PARKING" light show up nonstop on my dash, but my parking brake still activated with the press of the button.
I also have a catless downpipe and an MST intake.

From the other forum posts that I've read on this topic, there were a lot of instances of forgetting to disconnect the battery or other configuration issues. My main concern was that I saw this error right from the start after the DME unlock.

My car was built 12/2019.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here or where to go from here. Any help is appreciated!
Attached Images

Last edited by Dilber; 12-12-2023 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: Changed name of title for clarity
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 01:45 AM   #2
Dilber
Kame Society YT Channel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i (G20)

I feel dumb. I figured out the issue. Plug number 3 on the ECU wasn’t strapped down all the way.

I reverted my JB4 back to map 0 and then reflashed my ECU to Stage 2 with Bootmod. Everything works now (even if CEL shows up mid driving &#128064
Appreciate 0