Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs Paint Chip Repair - Internally Crying

11-15-2022, 08:57 PM   #1
razzle45
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i RWD

Paint Chip Repair - Internally Crying

So I ordered my car from the factory last month and a couple days ago I swiped a concrete pillar while parking. Yes, I know. Normally I'm very good at parking, however, I hadn't slept in over 48 hours, due to an important deadline and was in a rush to get to bed. I'm looking for a DIY solutions that will hold up good enough for a year until I take it to a body shop. Does anyone have any good recommendations? I know the paint code for black sapphire metallic is 475 but I'm not sure what I'll need as I can't tell if it's don't to the bare metal or base coat. Attached below is a picture of the damage... . I believe I'll also need to polish the scratches, so does anyone have any recommendations for that as well, something that can work easily with a microfiber and a little hand motion, preferably. The second picture is after I wiped it with some waterless detail spray. As a side note, does anyone know roughly how much this would cost to get fixed at a BMW certified body shop?

On the bright side, I had a photo shoot a few days before so at least I got a couple bangers before the damage...
Attached Images

Last edited by razzle45; 11-15-2022 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 09:26 AM   #2
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '24 G82

Honestly, I don't think you would be happy with a paint chip repair kit for that. They're meant more for rock chips and thin scratches.
Your scrapes look like they will need sanding, leveling and a respray to get back to an oem look.
I would try to find a body tech that could do it on the side. You're looking at a couple hundred in material and maybe 5 hours of labor.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 09:33 AM   #3
IsleOfMs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

I agree with CCM. You need a body shop. However, I don't think you need to worry about one that's BMW certified. It doesn't look like there's anything BMW specific in this scuff. You just need a body shop that does good paint matching. I'd steer clear of insurance-company-recommended shops as they're all cost-driven.

Search around for high-end body shops in your local area. Read the reviews. Get yourself a shop that caters to people who are picky about their cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 07:48 PM   #4
Tman97
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW m340i portimao blue

You don't need a BMW certified body shop. There are some local body shops in my area whose work would put any certified shop to shame. Not all insurance-company-recommended shops are bad or do shoddy work just because they are working for the insurance quoted labor rates. A couple of the best shops in my area are part an insurance company's preferred network. Identify some shops in the area, stop in to see them, and ask to see some of their work. That's what I do.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 08:51 PM   #5
BKSinAZ
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 430i

Paint chip repair won't fix this level of damage.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 11:26 PM   #6
g20_ghost
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 m340i

Literally same happened to me and I kick myself everyday over it but after a week or so I’m like whatever about it, but I do eventually want to repaint it as it’s on the drivers door so every time I walk up to my car it reminds me how stupid I was to do it lol.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0