Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions First G20 3 Series Review - Autocar

08-24-2018, 02:32 AM   #221
mathys
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G82 - G01 - F56

Small recap of a review of the new G20 330i by Dutch car magazine ' Autoweek',:
Standard suspension set for comfort.
Sport suspension is more stiff than predecessor.
Adaptive suspension settings are noticeably more different than before.
330i engine has a decent output, but not revolutionary.
On a certain part of the Nurburg-ring, the car slides more than expected with tire roar. Still a good feedback from the steering input though.
Sport suspension stiffness does not result in loss of comfort.
The steering wheel is bulky.
The middle console is unnecessary wide.
Appreciate 1
sahajesh2294.00
      08-24-2018, 01:17 PM   #222
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I’ve had leatherette in my Mini. Won’t ever have it again.

Maybe the weather in your part of the world is cooler and therefore makes vinyl acceptable. In the US, it’s nasty -tacky in the summer and gets your sweat boiling under your butt, frigid cold in the winter and takes longer than leather to warm up. And I don’t even live in a *hot* area of the US...

For me it’s leather or cloth. Don’t mind cloth or alcantara at all...
It's all good, it's about choice and having choices so that each driver can pick what he/she likes.
There is no right way or wrong way in option choices as a whole, there is a right or wrong way for each individual.

Sweaty monkey butt is NO JOKE, that struggle can be real people.

Last edited by RPM90; 08-24-2018 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
nozydog465.00
      08-24-2018, 01:27 PM   #223
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo111 View Post
Fair enough, different horses for courses, and all....

But - if superlative ergonomics, build quality, and reliability are the priority, why not Toyota or Chevy? They deliver those qualities, for much less cost (compared with BMW).

I was a Munich fan for decades, precisely because the roundel delivered driving excitement, compared with the competition. I'm not arguing that Alfa's ergonomics are dialed-in. Sheesh, it's Italian! I do respect that Alfa is building exciting to drive cars in an era when generic appliances have become the norm.

For me, it's about the total package, how it all works together as a daily utility vehicle, a sporty driver on days when there is time, and all of the things we use our vehicles for.

Toyota and Honda build nice vehicles, yes. But, they offer some aspects that are better than my BMWs, but they lack in other areas that I won't give up as long as I'm willing to afford something that gives me what I feel is a better total package.

Some people don't value certain aspects of cars and driving, and that's cool, there are plenty of cars for them and they can save a good amount of money because of that. For me and those like me we choose to spend more when we feel we're getting what we like and want.

I don't knock Alfa for trying and creating what they have.
Simply, it just doesn't fit me and what I expect and want.
Ergonomics, seat comfort and surrounding comfort are my top priority in picking a car. If I don't feel comfortable in the driver's seat then it doesn't matter if the steering speaks love poems softly into my ears, or hugs the road like it's on rails. But, that's me, others have their own quirks.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 04:26 AM   #224
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeA View Post
All looks good, just wish manual was an option.. kind of sad that only the A4 will be keeping a manual. This is very un-BMW like

Yeah....about that...

https://jalopnik.com/audi-drops-rema...els-1828446608
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 04:37 AM   #225
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Personally, I love the digital dash. Audi's is a bit more legible and may allow a bit more customization.

Normal:

S and RS cars: (You can switch it to normal)

Full map:

Quote:
TRAITOR.

Last edited by The Automotive Enthusiast; 08-25-2018 at 04:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 11:07 PM   #226
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
Sad day for enthusiasts..

I am not a fan of manual cars with high HP, as I usually opt for the dual clutch option, but 2.0t engines are much more fun with a manual box.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 10:04 AM   #227
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Personally, I love the digital dash. Audi's is a bit more legible and may allow a bit more customization.

Normal:

S and RS cars: (You can switch it to normal)

Full map:

Top pic is OK and they get progressively worse.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 10:58 AM   #228
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US

This is terrible, why would I want a video game in the middle of my guage cluster? I listen to a voice prompt for directions not a picture instead of speedo and tach, especially when the graffic of the map ooks like some shots from space
Watch the road FFS
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 01:24 PM   #229
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
This is terrible, why would I want a video game in the middle of my guage cluster? I listen to a voice prompt for directions not a picture instead of speedo and tach, especially when the graffic of the map ooks like some shots from space
Watch the road FFS
I have it on my car and I never use the map mode. There is an entire other screen with a map on it.

I had an f30 before and really all I want is tach, speedo, trip computer and instantaneous mpg which I like having there, but even F30s had all of that. So personally I'm not a huge fan of having a video game cockpit but thats the way were going. I'm a software engineer professionally and well, I'd guess an LCD dash with associated software is actually cheaper to build, probably takes less space, and they can always upsell all these features and its "the new hot thing" so we'll have to accept it
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 01:43 PM   #230
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
I have it on my car and I never use the map mode. There is an entire other screen with a map on it.

I had an f30 before and really all I want is tach, speedo, trip computer and instantaneous mpg which I like having there, but even F30s had all of that. So personally I'm not a huge fan of having a video game cockpit but thats the way were going. I'm a software engineer professionally and well, I'd guess an LCD dash with associated software is actually cheaper to build, probably takes less space, and they can always upsell all these features and its "the new hot thing" so we'll have to accept it
Makes sense as far as the cost. Not that most people around here keep their cars past 36 month lease but I would be seriously concerned having one of those dashes on a used car. I bet it's $$$ to replace
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 03:22 PM   #231
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Makes sense as far as the cost. Not that most people around here keep their cars past 36 month lease but I would be seriously concerned having one of those dashes on a used car. I bet it's $$$ to replace
LCD displays have been around for ages. This is the last thing to go out, honestly.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 03:59 PM   #232
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Watch the road FFS
Different strokes... The first thing I do (even when in a loaner) is mute the navigation voice.
      08-28-2018, 04:12 PM   #233
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Watch the road FFS
The majority of drivers do not need NAV on a daily basis.
And when a driver needs NAV there are much lower cost options along with cell devices that people already paid too much for, or stand alone NAV units that are fantastic and cost under $200.

The whole idea of NAV screens being so darn important for daily driving is yet another expensive luxo-tech item that of very limited need.

I prefer crisp, real 3D gauges versus images of gauges, and I'd like to have a choice. I test drove a couple of S4s and S3s with and without Audi digital dash, and I greatly prefer the non digital, reality based gauges.

I don't see anything more useful or safer in placing a NAV map in the gauge cluster vs on a screen slightly to the side. The marketing selling point is that it is "safer" for the screen to be in front of the driver opposed to the side, because the driver can quickly glance at the gauge cluster in front instead of to the side.
Yeah, right, whatever. I did NOT have the experience at all.

A meaningful NAV screen would one that is capable of being turned as a "heads up" display on the actual windscreen closer to the driver's line of sight while driving. When I'm driving it is no more a distraction to look quickly and slightly at a screen towards the middle of the dash compared to a gauge cluster that I have to look down from my line of sight to see.
Appreciate 1
MT4life575.50
      08-28-2018, 10:52 PM   #234
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
LCD displays have been around for ages. This is the last thing to go out, honestly.

One the backlights moved to led it isn't an issue. Since led backlights are still relatively new I can see why it took this long to make it to cars. But agree they will last a long time probably
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 05:48 PM   #235
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
One the backlights moved to led it isn't an issue. Since led backlights are still relatively new I can see why it took this long to make it to cars. But agree they will last a long time probably
Yes I definitely don’t think we need to worry about the displays going wrong, I’ve never heard of a faulty idrive screen!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 02:22 PM   #236
Ragged Edge
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16F80,TR6,Defender,PA23-250T

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:
You know it's all cute "for the death" in the room, "for the stupid" ones - No Manual. "the return of the true 3 series, yey" - my arse!

I know sales data doesn't support it but there's a certain group and I'm part of it who buy BMW's only because it's still available with the manual.

We are being made fun of, "shut up and hold a cheeseburger or your iphone in your right hand instead", they say. We go to a BMW dealer like any paying customer and ask to test drive an MT car and CA is laughing at us in our face, "hhahahhaa, we ain't got one of those but you can drive a ZF and pretend it's a manual".

OK, we say, can I please order one then? So sight unseen we buy a $40-$50K car. I've done it 3 times already and many friends of mine did the same. Then we wait for 8-10 weeks or God forbid that fker is from South Africa and has to travel through the moon to get to Charleston....
And for all that loyalty what do we get? GET IT THROUGH YOUR FN HEAD - NO MANUAL, real nice.

Guess what, besides the manual, 3-series is just MEH, nickle and dime you for every button, 45-48K car starts out with vinyl seats. Took away free maintenance, push those dumb runflats on its customers without an option for a free exchange unless again you pay extra for some ugly black wheels and it'll get you non-runflats...etc etc. Numb steering, not even a standard Android Audio. And Don't even think about owning it out of warranty the damn thing falls apart as you drive to work.

But all of that was acceptable because of 6MT. Now? Pfft, so many options open up of the same POS unreliable Audi, MB and then Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, Honda/Acura, shooot even Kia/Huindai has a couple of knockouts in RWD with Auto only. And there will be more. And while BMW is shooshing away enthusiasts who want 6MT in hopes they'll take the sales back from Tesla microwave and some other mind numbing appliance on 4 tires, they won't. Those people are not buying cars to drive, they buy to get there while texting and reading facebook/instagram. They will lose their audience and not really gain new. Because they just want the cheapest most feature-packed most reliable appliance to get to work not an ultimate driving machine

TL;DR 2018 M340i 6speed just became the hottest best value retention 3-er ever.
The 8AT is brilliant though

Oh and vinyl seats is only U.S. market, in UK M Sports get Dakota leather as standard!
Just NO
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 02:23 PM   #237
Ragged Edge
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
First BMW G20 3 Series Review. 330i Gets 255hp / 295lb-ft

Quote:
You know it's all cute "for the death" in the room, "for the stupid" ones - No Manual. "the return of the true 3 series, yey" - my arse!

I know sales data doesn't support it but there's a certain group and I'm part of it who buy BMW's only because it's still available with the manual.

We are being made fun of, "shut up and hold a cheeseburger or your iphone in your right hand instead", they say. We go to a BMW dealer like any paying customer and ask to test drive an MT car and CA is laughing at us in our face, "hhahahhaa, we ain't got one of those but you can drive a ZF and pretend it's a manual".

OK, we say, can I please order one then? So sight unseen we buy a $40-$50K car. I've done it 3 times already and many friends of mine did the same. Then we wait for 8-10 weeks or God forbid that fker is from South Africa and has to travel through the moon to get to Charleston....
And for all that loyalty what do we get? GET IT THROUGH YOUR FN HEAD - NO MANUAL, real nice.

Guess what, besides the manual, 3-series is just MEH, nickle and dime you for every button, 45-48K car starts out with vinyl seats. Took away free maintenance, push those dumb runflats on its customers without an option for a free exchange unless again you pay extra for some ugly black wheels and it'll get you non-runflats...etc etc. Numb steering, not even a standard Android Audio. And Don't even think about owning it out of warranty the damn thing falls apart as you drive to work.

But all of that was acceptable because of 6MT. Now? Pfft, so many options open up of the same POS unreliable Audi, MB and then Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, Honda/Acura, shooot even Kia/Huindai has a couple of knockouts in RWD with Auto only. And there will be more. And while BMW is shooshing away enthusiasts who want 6MT in hopes they'll take the sales back from Tesla microwave and some other mind numbing appliance on 4 tires, they won't. Those people are not buying cars to drive, they buy to get there while texting and reading facebook/instagram. They will lose their audience and not really gain new. Because they just want the cheapest most feature-packed most reliable appliance to get to work not an ultimate driving machine

Best post in a long while.

Sums up my feeling precisely...

If I want an appliance to take me from point A to point B, I will by a flappy-paddle gearbox... or worse.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #238
Ragged Edge
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
First BMW G20 3 Series Review. 330i Gets 255hp / 295lb-ft

Quote:

Best post in a long while.

Sums up my feeling precisely...

If I want an appliance to take me from point A to point B, I will by a flappy-paddle gearbox... or worse.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 03:24 PM   #239
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragged Edge View Post
Just NO
Holy thread revival!

Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00
      06-08-2020, 09:27 PM   #240
Ragged Edge
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragged Edge View Post
Just NO
Holy thread revival!

Hahaha!! You're funny!

Actually, my reply was in a list of un-sent drafts, that didn't get sent due to my poor internet connection. Just sent all the un-sent drafts out along with a new one, as I wasn't sure what was new or old.

So you think a ban is an appropriate response?
Appreciate 0