Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum Order Tracking Thread - Stages, Dates and Data Points

02-02-2021, 11:38 AM   #1805
bap340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by m240nj View Post
Correct. My m340 xDrive is being built in Mexico right now. Also, not so sure about Mexico builds taking a lot longer than German builds. My car was assigned a VIN and In Production 2 days after I placed the order. Hoping it doesn't take super long!!

On another note, had anyone recently had the M Performance Exhaust added at the port? If so, how long did it take for them to install it at the port before it was in transit to the dealer?
From other posts it sounds like installing the exhaust adds anywhere from 2-7 days, so figure a week longer than if the exhaust didn't get installed. My car arrived in Baltimore on a Saturday and was on a truck by Thursday.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 11:50 AM   #1806
Bimmer006
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 -> G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by m240nj View Post
Correct. My m340 xDrive is being built in Mexico right now. Also, not so sure about Mexico builds taking a lot longer than German builds. My car was assigned a VIN and In Production 2 days after I placed the order. Hoping it doesn't take super long!!

On another note, had anyone recently had the M Performance Exhaust added at the port? If so, how long did it take for them to install it at the port before it was in transit to the dealer?
Build times are generally depends on multiple factors like, When you were placing an order vs Your dealer's allocation in the next production batch/month, sometimes the dealer that you are ordering don't have the allocation on that month/week, then you have to wait until when your dealer gets the allocation. Mine when I have placed an order, luckily my dealer had a batch of vehicles being produced the next week, so after I have placed my order I got my VIN the next day and the production started on the following Monday. It just took probably a week or two to complete manufacturing and quality inspection, but it just took more than a month to ship and get it delivered. Overall I have ordered mine in Mid Sep 2020 & received the car in mid Nov 2020. There was almost 3 weeks it was on the port without any move.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 12:17 PM   #1807
BlueLeaderXI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 Portimao Blue M340i xDriv

Cool Newly ordered M340xi, super excited!!!

Ordered/deposit 1/12
1/28 BMW dealer received build allocation (dealer traded)
1/29 Production number received
1/30 Scheduled for production
... trying to wait patiently

2021 M-340i xDrive
Portimao Blue
Shadowline trim
Vernasca Leather Black/Oyster contrast stitching
Grey Oak Grain Fine Wood matte trim

19" M Double-spoke 792M cerium grey wheels, all season RF
Executive Pkg (add heated front+rear seats)
Driving Assistance Pkg
Driving Assistance Professional Pkg
Parking Assistance Pkg
Remote Engine Start
Heated steering wheel (incl')
Power tailgate
Heated front+rear seats (incl')
Harmon Kardon Surround Sound System
Adaptive M-Suspension
(port/secret option) M-Performance Exhaust

Final deal agreement down to 64.5k but that was before we found out how to add in MP exhaust to the order. Overall I'm very happy and looking forward anxiously to taking delivery! I hope NOVID hasn't significantly messed up wait times.

Notes:

- discovered that although I don't particularly care/need "Laser Lights" the new redesigned remnants of my long beloved 'Angel Eyes' suck IMHO, as they now look like merely an underscore along the bottom of the light.. So I went with the Executive PKG to get more of the surrounded look.

- went with Driver Asst. Prof PKG for ACC Radar Cruise Ctl. I used to diss this until I am using it now in my fully loaded VW Arteon 4motion R-line (I'm "enduring" this car between wrecking my Red 2015 335xi and finally pulled the trigger on the new 2021 M340xi..) and honestly as much as I like to fancy myself a young (old-soul) "purist", the active/radar cruise is soo nice on my long Highway drives. The rest of the electronic nannies I could care less about.

- did not go with Cooling & Tire Pkg, although I like the idea of extra performance 'anything', realistically, I do a few track weekends a year and figure the excellent technical engineering in the M-340 xi has got to be more than sufficient for my needs, plus I practically end up using all-season tires in Ohio anyways, so what's the real point in the end. I did notice on extremely hot days my 2015 335 xi did seem to run a loud fan though, and (very rarely) the air-conditioning would poop out during the combination of extremely hot day (>85-90 F) plus sustained (1+ hour) continuous spirited driving. I hope this will not be an issue in 2021 if not ordered that package.. we shall see. Anyone with experience on this?

- M-Performance Exhaust: I couldn't find this option anywhere during ordering, other than my BMW Advisor knew he could ask for it. I did some research on Bimmer forums, found people were indeed getting it at port.. Also saw listing/part# on BMWpartspros.com. It's officially on my spec sheet! Excited I am getting another M-Performance Exhaust! (wish it had round dual or quad tips, but I like to stick with M-parts, still don't feel wild enough to try those after market 4-pipe versions.)

Overall, seems as close as I can get to an updated version of my beloved late 2015 Melbourne Red 335i xDrive. It was M-Sport, 8AT, leather/aluminum/heated/harmon kardon, and I DIY'd the M-Performance exhaust, MPPK ECU power/tune, plus my favorite Blue M-Sport brakes (weren't originally spec'd on the car since I got it CPO). Actually I considered a BMW Individual paint job in Melbourne Red for this 2021, but that was 5-6K!! I might Wrap it later. At least now I could have 2 beautiful color options!

Questions:

- Steering? - any of you coming from the F30 3 series do you notice any improvement in the steering response/feel? (I know, generally chagrined regardless)

- Burble/pops? - My understanding is the 2021 M340i loses some of the sporty exhaust burble/pops sounds compared to 2020 cars (possibly something to do with new coding/48V system). I've read mixed messages on whether or not the M-Performance Exhaust actually adds back some of the burble/pops on the 2021's, or just loudness. FWIW, when I added the MPE to my 2015 335i, it really did seem to significantly create more burble/pops, in addition to loudness/tone.

- Engine Sound level customization in iDrive Menu: If you are able to increase the sportiness of the cabin sound/noise level, does this affect exhaust/burble or not really? Does it do much of anything at all?

- Spoiler part length: per BMW accessory photos, it looks like the Carbon Fiber spoiler is longer and more angled than the primed/body color M-performance one. I put the MP one (painted red) on my F30, it had a nice longer thumbnail/fin length. I'd prefer to eventually swap out what looks like this little "strip" of a spoiler that comes on the stock M340i. Anyone with experience or suggestions for a longer (body color) decklid spoiler?

Thanks to all! And glad to be back after a lengthy hiatus (surviving medical residency). Talk soon

Last edited by BlueLeaderXI; 02-02-2021 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: forgot shadowline
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2021, 04:47 PM   #1808
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

StatusDate# Days
Order Received1-5-2114
Scheduled For Production 1-19-217
Production Begins1-26-217
Exterior Body Assembly Begins2-2-211
In Paint Booth2-3-20211
Entering Assembly Line2-4-211
Assembly In Progress2-4-211
Quality Check2-4-211
Final Assembly2-8-212
Ready For Transport2-8-211
Awaiting Carrier Assignment2-8-211
Dispatched From Factory2-9-212
At The Port2-11-216
In Transit2-17-21
At The DealershipEST 3-18-21
Vehicle DeliveredEST 3-18-21

Last edited by NorCalAthlete; 02-22-2021 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 10:27 PM   #1809
gondor5
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondor5 View Post
2021 330e xDrive Sedan

Below is my timeline so far. As of this time I am not sure where the vehicle is being manufactured. The dealer tells me all xDrive are being made in Germany. When I call the BMW genius line sometimes I get Mexico and sometimes I get Germany. Can somebody shed some light on this?

Thanks.

Order Timeline
Order Placed----------------------12/10/2020
Order Received--------------------12/12/2020
Scheduled For Production----------12/15/2020
Production Begins----------------- 1/4/2021
Exterior Body Assembly Begins
In Paint Booth
Entering Assembly Line------------ 1/14/2021
Assembly In Progress-------------- 1/14/2021
Quality Check
Final Assembly-------------------- 1/15/2021
Ready For Transport--------------- 1/17/2021
Awaiting Carrier Assignment
Dispatched From Factory
At The Port
In Transit------------------------ 1/31/2021
At The Dealership
Vehicle Delivered
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 03:31 AM   #1810
born_on_halloween
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive PB

interesting so my rep was completely wrong then you guys both ordered xdrive's and cars were made in mexico.

anyhow mine is xdrive too and made in deutschland almost made out of the english channel... but still way too slow
Retired - 2015 335 xDrive Mineral Gray, M-sport manual
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 02:04 PM   #1811
Ghost719
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsr1588 View Post
Ordered/deposit 1/12
1/28 BMW dealer received build allocation (dealer traded)
1/29 Production number received
1/30 Scheduled for production
... trying to wait patiently

2021 M-340i xDrive
Portimao Blue
Shadowline trim
Vernasca Leather Black/Oyster contrast stitching
Grey Oak Grain Fine Wood matte trim

19" M Double-spoke 792M cerium grey wheels, all season RF
Executive Pkg (add heated front+rear seats)
Driving Assistance Pkg
Driving Assistance Professional Pkg
Parking Assistance Pkg
Remote Engine Start
Heated steering wheel (incl')
Power tailgate
Heated front+rear seats (incl')
Harmon Kardon Surround Sound System
Adaptive M-Suspension
(port/secret option) M-Performance Exhaust

Final deal agreement down to 64.5k but that was before we found out how to add in MP exhaust to the order. Overall I'm very happy and looking forward anxiously to taking delivery! I hope NOVID hasn't significantly messed up wait times.

Notes:

- discovered that although I don't particularly care/need "Laser Lights" the new redesigned remnants of my long beloved 'Angel Eyes' suck IMHO, as they now look like merely an underscore along the bottom of the light.. So I went with the Executive PKG to get more of the surrounded look.

- went with Driver Asst. Prof PKG for ACC Radar Cruise Ctl. I used to diss this until I am using it now in my fully loaded VW Arteon 4motion R-line (I'm "enduring" this car between wrecking my Red 2015 335xi and finally pulled the trigger on the new 2021 M340xi..) and honestly as much as I like to fancy myself a young (old-soul) "purist", the active/radar cruise is soo nice on my long Highway drives. The rest of the electronic nannies I could care less about.

- did not go with Cooling & Tire Pkg, although I like the idea of extra performance 'anything', realistically, I do a few track weekends a year and figure the excellent technical engineering in the M-340 xi has got to be more than sufficient for my needs, plus I practically end up using all-season tires in Ohio anyways, so what's the real point in the end. I did notice on extremely hot days my 2015 335 xi did seem to run a loud fan though, and (very rarely) the air-conditioning would poop out during the combination of extremely hot day (>85-90 F) plus sustained (1+ hour) continuous spirited driving. I hope this will not be an issue in 2021 if not ordered that package.. we shall see. Anyone with experience on this?

- M-Performance Exhaust: I couldn't find this option anywhere during ordering, other than my BMW Advisor knew he could ask for it. I did some research on Bimmer forums, found people were indeed getting it at port.. Also saw listing/part# on BMWpartspros.com. It's officially on my spec sheet! Excited I am getting another M-Performance Exhaust! (wish it had round dual or quad tips, but I like to stick with M-parts, still don't feel wild enough to try those after market 4-pipe versions.)

Overall, seems as close as I can get to an updated version of my beloved late 2015 Melbourne Red 335i xDrive. It was M-Sport, 8AT, leather/aluminum/heated/harmon kardon, and I DIY'd the M-Performance exhaust, MPPK ECU power/tune, plus my favorite Blue M-Sport brakes (weren't originally spec'd on the car since I got it CPO). Actually I considered a BMW Individual paint job in Melbourne Red for this 2021, but that was 5-6K!! I might Wrap it later. At least now I could have 2 beautiful color options!

Questions:

- Steering? - any of you coming from the F30 3 series do you notice any improvement in the steering response/feel? (I know, generally chagrined regardless)

- Burble/pops? - My understanding is the 2021 M340i loses some of the sporty exhaust burble/pops sounds compared to 2020 cars (possibly something to do with new coding/48V system). I've read mixed messages on whether or not the M-Performance Exhaust actually adds back some of the burble/pops on the 2021's, or just loudness. FWIW, when I added the MPE to my 2015 335i, it really did seem to significantly create more burble/pops, in addition to loudness/tone.

- Engine Sound level customization in iDrive Menu: If you are able to increase the sportiness of the cabin sound/noise level, does this affect exhaust/burble or not really? Does it do much of anything at all?

- Spoiler part length: per BMW accessory photos, it looks like the Carbon Fiber spoiler is longer and more angled than the primed/body color M-performance one. I put the MP one (painted red) on my F30, it had a nice longer thumbnail/fin length. I'd prefer to eventually swap out what looks like this little "strip" of a spoiler that comes on the stock M340i. Anyone with experience or suggestions for a longer (body color) decklid spoiler?

Thanks to all! And glad to be back after a lengthy hiatus (surviving medical residency). Talk soon
Nice build. I didn't get the Driving Pro as I don't do much long-distance driving. I did however get the Cooling Package as it adds bigger brakes and tires (which I will suffer for during the winter purchase and mobility) but it increases the top speed to 155 mph from 130, as well as gives me more trunk space with an emergency option for air and sealent.

This is my 1st BMW purchase so I did not know that I could get the MPE added on now as well as installation would be free at the port, I assumed that since it was not listed on the BMW parts site that it had not been released yet. So, you made a great decision that I am envious of.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 02:08 PM   #1812
Ghost719
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_on_halloween View Post
interesting so my rep was completely wrong then you guys both ordered xdrive's and cars were made in mexico.

anyhow mine is xdrive too and made in deutschland almost made out of the english channel... but still way too slow
From what I learned from the discussion forum is that if your VIN begins with 3MW it is a Mexico /SLP (most 3 series exd. M3 are built here) build as opposed to a VIN beginning with W** indicates a Germany build. I assume you either were lucky (depends on how you look at it) or you selected an individual color or option that is only available in Germany. Either way congratulations on your vehicle and be sure to post pictures when you take delivery.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 02:12 PM   #1813
Ghost719
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost719 View Post
Updated timeline.

My M340i is being built at the SLP plant.

Build Details
'21 M340i xDrive

Portimao Blue Metallic
Cognac Vernasca Leather with contrast stitching

Executive Package (Front & Rear Heated Seats)
Cooling & HP Tire Pkg (19" M wheel 791M w/perf nonrft)
Driving Assistance Pkg
Parking Assistance Pkg
Shadowline Pkg
Harman Kardon
Remote Engine
Wireless Charging
Power Tailgate
Adaptive M Suspension
M Performance Exhaust

Order Timeline
Order Received - 01/09/21
Scheduled For Production - 01/10/21
Production Begins - 01/19/21
Exterior Body Assembly Begins - No Update
In Paint Booth - No Update
Entering Assembly Line - No Update
Assembly In Progress - 01/29/21
Quality Check - N/A
Final Assembly - 02/03/21
Ready For Transport -02/04/21
Awaiting Carrier Assignment - N/A
Dispatched From Factory - N/A
At The Port - N/A
In Transit - N/A
At The Dealership - N/A
Vehicle Delivered - N/A

Estimate delivery of Mar. The next step is to transport!!!
Updated timeline.

Last edited by Ghost719; 02-04-2021 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 05:23 PM   #1814
cowymo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M440i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowymo View Post
Ordered my 21 M440 on Dec 08 2020.
Tanzanite Blue, Red leather interior with open-pore oak trim
Premium excellence package
Adaptive M suspension

Scheduled for production in Feb 2021.
Unfortunately unable to track much from Canada.

Found out that VIN number was assigned and was scheduled for assembly on Jan 25th 2021.
Car was born on Jan 28th and was dispatched showing "In Transit" on Jan 29th.

I will have to bug my dealer to find out which date and ship it is going on.

I'm excited.

Just called BMW Canada today, still showing in transit. The car is currently sitting at port of exit since 29th Jan. I have checked the shipping schedule from Wallenius Wilhelmsen website and it is showing there is a boat departing Bremerhaven to Halifax departing the 4th Feb. I hope my car makes the cut and get pushed onto the vessel.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 07:43 PM   #1815
born_on_halloween
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep

finally the vehicle outside the AIS range, marinetraffic can no longer track it
wife saying i am being ridiculously obsessed
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 08:21 PM   #1816
bap340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340I

Quote:
If you were obsessed you would sign up for a free trial and cancel it the day before it becomes a paid subscription. Like I did.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 08:24 AM   #1817
cowymo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
LOL.. My wife says the same thing. Can't help it!! Its a new toy!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 02:50 PM   #1818
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Order status updated to Assembly In Progress. After watching the video of the assembly line, I was thinking it'd be cool if you could actually tune in to a factory camera mounted on the carrier that transports your car throughout the factory and watch your actual car being built. Wouldn't be hard to set up, but would probably cost a bit more for the streaming bandwidth and such and I know it's not likely to happen. Would be fun though, especially for individual builds...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 06:13 PM   #1819
cowymo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post

Order status updated to Assembly In Progress. After watching the video of the assembly line, I was thinking it'd be cool if you could actually tune in to a factory camera mounted on the carrier that transports your car throughout the factory and watch your actual car being built. Wouldn't be hard to set up, but would probably cost a bit more for the streaming bandwidth and such and I know it's not likely to happen. Would be fun though, especially for individual builds...

I read somewhere they used to have it in the USA plant, but not anymore. I think it is very time consuming setting up cameras for each and every car in production.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 06:19 PM   #1820
cowymo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I just wish Canadian customers have better means to track factory orders. Any Canadians here have any pointers? The last status of my car is waiting at the port of exit. A Vessel - Boheme left the port today and its enroute to Halifax right now. I just don't know if my car made it onboard.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 06:27 PM   #1821
born_on_halloween
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post

it would also be an invitation to possible law suits dude.

what if a smart guy watches and sues bmw for stupid reasons like...
hey the technicians used an improper torque wrench technique, didn't wear glove... you never know lol
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 07:33 PM   #1822
GD1981
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Here’s mine:

Order Received - 12/22/20
Scheduled For Production - 01/6/21
Production Begins - 01/18/21
Entering Assembly Line - 02/02/21
Assembly In Progress - 02/02/21
Quality Check - N/A
Ready For Transport - 02/04/21
At The Port - N/A
In Transit - N/A
At The Dealership - N/A
Vehicle Delivered - N/A
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 07:36 PM   #1823
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
it would also be an invitation to possible law suits dude.

what if a smart guy watches and sues bmw for stupid reasons like...
hey the technicians used an improper torque wrench technique, didn't wear glove... you never know lol
Probably true sigh. Oh well. Fun to think about. I'm just in that "checking the order status on the website 2-3x a day" mode at the moment. It'll pass.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 01:59 AM   #1824
BlueLeaderXI
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost719 View Post
Nice build. I didn't get the Driving Pro as I don't do much long-distance driving. I did however get the Cooling Package as it adds bigger brakes and tires (which I will suffer for during the winter purchase and mobility) but it increases the top speed to 155 mph from 130, as well as gives me more trunk space with an emergency option for air and sealent.

This is my 1st BMW purchase so I did not know that I could get the MPE added on now as well as installation would be free at the port, I assumed that since it was not listed on the BMW parts site that it had not been released yet. So, you made a great decision that I am envious of.
Congrats as well!!! wish you good driving vibes and short wait times.

Interesting. I was not under the impression the Cooling & Tire Pkg actually did anything to the physical brake discs/calipers? I had thought the C&T Pkg was 1) More powerful Cooling Fan 2) additional engine Oil cooler 3) high performance tires (plus I think it includes the 792M wheels? which I opted for anyway). It does appear to add "M Technology Pkg", which is described as "increased capacity of braking/drivetrain *cooling* systems...etc...under extreme driving cond./high temps". Anyone have more engineering details on this?

My thought was, maybe a larger/additional brake cooling duct as sometimes has been channeled from the front grill, etc. Re: Brakes, at least when I was upgrading my F30 there seemed to be 3 attainable levels: Stock 335i, "M Sport" (blue) brakes, and "M Performance" (red/orange/black) which were same piston counts but larger discs. If I missed out on bigger brakes, gahhhh I therefore have brake envy

sold |2021 M340i xDrive 8AT|Portimao Blue|Black/Oyster|19" 792M cerium grey wheels|

|R.I.P. beloved 2015 335i xDrive 8AT|
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2021, 02:08 AM   #1825
BlueLeaderXI
Private First Class
Rep

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD1981 View Post
Here’s mine:

Order Received - 12/22/20
Scheduled For Production - 01/6/21
Production Begins - 01/18/21
Entering Assembly Line - 02/02/21
Assembly In Progress - 02/02/21
Quality Check - N/A
Ready For Transport - 02/04/21
At The Port - N/A
In Transit - N/A
At The Dealership - N/A
Vehicle Delivered - N/A
Hmmm. I noticed on your spec sheet (Congrats on the beautiful Alpine w/ Red brakes build by the way!! sharp car!!) the code "840 Increased speed limiter" - without Cooling/Tire ('M technology Pkg') - was this some kind of unwritten request/option you specifically got? Or, I am wondering if this has to do with ordering wheels with a summer/performance tire option instead of what I got which was the all-seasons??

Originally I was thinking all the M340's would be the higher speed 155 mph, because they are M340's...

sold |2021 M340i xDrive 8AT|Portimao Blue|Black/Oyster|19" 792M cerium grey wheels|

|R.I.P. beloved 2015 335i xDrive 8AT|
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 03:22 AM   #1826
born_on_halloween
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep

wth is 9AA transport protection, i just checked my build it has it too hmmm.. as if I would take delivery if I see anything wrong with it
Appreciate 0