Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs Best bang for my buck methods? Don't need showroom, just decent

11-07-2022, 09:45 AM   #1
SoCalJon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW330e

Best bang for my buck methods? Don't need showroom, just decent

Some of you already read my background on this, but let me give the context again.

In the past, I've simply been a carwash (touchless, when I can find it) guy. Taking delivery of a new car next week, and maybe would like to do something a little bit better. But I simply cannot be handwashing my car obsessively... I don't care that much, and my schedule doesn't really permit.

I'm looking for the best bang for minimal investment of dollars and hours. Somewhere there is an inflection point where the returns don't matter to me.

The car will be Phytonic Blue, if that makes a difference. We intend to own it for 5-7 years, minimum--possibly 10. We are not showing it or taking it to the track. Nor do I really need anyone to ooh-and-aah over it. It lives in the garage, probably around 140 hours a week (we work from home).

We are doing XPEL PPF on the hood, front fenders, front bumper, mirror caps, rocker panels, and rear bumper sill. This will be installed by the dealer before I take delivery.

I live in a condo/HOA community in drought-stricken SoCal. Lots of water usage is not an option.

Is there a single protective product that I could apply easily with minimal prepwork right after we take delivery? (For instance, I'm looking at Shine Armor QuickCoat.) Bonus points if I can use it on paint, PPF, wheels, tires, windows, etc.

I really am looking for the most bang for my buck. If I could buy a stack of microfiber cloths and a single spray product... can I bring the car home, rinse it off, apply a spray, and simply rinse it for the next 6 months?

Also, how about interior? Sensatec seats. Open pore wood trim. Leather steering wheel.

Dusty/streaky glass interiors drive me nuts. Probably bothers me more than swirl marks on the paint.

I have no carwash supplies at all... just a hose and spray nozzle. What bare minimum products would you buy for your new car?

Last edited by SoCalJon; 11-07-2022 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 11:32 AM   #2
Tman97
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW m340i portimao blue

Since you are limited on your water usage you should look at using a rinseless wash product. You will not be able to get away with simply rinsing your car for the next 6 months unless you want your finish to be full of swirls and dull looking. The rinseless wash method can be completed fairly quickly once you've done it a few times. Check out the following video and product. I use it on my own vehicles and have no swirls in the finish.

Appreciate 1
SoCalJon234.50
      11-07-2022, 01:01 PM   #3
SoCalJon
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman97 View Post
Since you are limited on your water usage you should look at using a rinseless wash product. You will not be able to get away with simply rinsing your car for the next 6 months unless you want your finish to be full of swirls and dull looking. The rinseless wash method can be completed fairly quickly once you've done it a few times. Check out the following video and product. I use it on my own vehicles and have no swirls in the finish.

Thanks... that's helpful! I'll look at that.

To clarify... I didn't mean to suggest that I'd go 6 months without doing anything... just wondering if there's a simple protectant that will last 6 months that I can just rinse or do a basic wash on an as-needed basis.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 02:07 PM   #4
Tman97
Rep

There are some spray on ceramic sealants that you may be able to get 6 months out of such as Griot’s Garage Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax or The Last Coat. The Griot’s product is more difficult to apply if you use too much product but will take to rinsing off better as it tends to sheet water as opposed to beading it.
Appreciate 1
SoCalJon234.50
      11-07-2022, 04:02 PM   #5
SoCalJon
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

That actually looks do-able for me. I assume I would do it in the shade in my driveway (good shade in the morning) ... looks like I need the rinseless wash, 10 good washing towels, 1 good drying towel, and a bucket.

How long does it take you to do a car?
Does the 2-gallon solution do an entire car?
How often do you do it?
Any problem using it over PPF?
How about the windows?

You just throw the towels in the washing machine and run a separate load of them? I suppose I could get 20 towels and 2 drying towels so I could get a full load of towels instead of a half load.

What else am I missing?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 05:57 PM   #6
Tman97
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalJon View Post
That actually looks do-able for me. I assume I would do it in the shade in my driveway (good shade in the morning) ... looks like I need the rinseless wash, 10 good washing towels, 1 good drying towel, and a bucket.

How long does it take you to do a car?
Does the 2-gallon solution do an entire car?
How often do you do it?
Any problem using it over PPF?
How about the windows?

You just throw the towels in the washing machine and run a separate load of them? I suppose I could get 20 towels and 2 drying towels so I could get a full load of towels instead of a half load.

What else am I missing?
If the car isn’t too dirty then you should be able to knock it out in under 30 minutes. Yes, the 2 gallon solution will do an entire car easily. I rinseless wash my vehicles probably every other week. No issues using it over PPF or the windows. I can’t remember the last time I used a dedicated window cleaner on my exterior glass after finding that rinseless wash product.

20 washing towels and 2 drying is plenty. Check out theragcompany.com for really quality microfiber towels. Just make sure that you use separate towels for the paint and your wheels. Also, don’t use dryer sheets when drying the towels as they will absorb the oils then streak your paint the next time you use them.

If you can’t tell, I’m somewhat of a detailing fanatic, but I also like to make it as easy and efficient as possible.
Appreciate 1
SoCalJon234.50
      11-07-2022, 06:42 PM   #7
SoCalJon
Lieutenant
Rep

It’s super helpful, thanks. The whole thing can be overwhelming and paralyzing. What I really want is a simple process that I can setup and actually do. If I make it too complicated or time consuming, then I won’t do it.

A couple more questions:

How many wash cycles (wash/dry car, then wash/dry towels) can I get out of the towels before I need to replace them?

Looks like they make a “rinseless wash” and a “waterless wash” - you’re recommending the “rinseless wash,” right?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 07:40 PM   #8
Tman97
Rep

Quote:
It’s super helpful, thanks. The whole thing can be overwhelming and paralyzing. What I really want is a simple process that I can setup and actually do. If I make it too complicated or time consuming, then I won’t do it.

A couple more questions:

How many wash cycles (wash/dry car, then wash/dry towels) can I get out of the towels before I need to replace them?

Looks like they make a “rinseless wash” and a “waterless wash” - you’re recommending the “rinseless wash,” right?
Yes, rinseless wash.

I’ve had my current towels for months. You want to wash them with a liquid detergent that is dye and perfume free or a dedicated microfiber detergent. Wash on warm/cold cycle then dry them on low heat. Anything above low heat will slowly destroy the fibers.
Appreciate 1
SoCalJon234.50
      11-07-2022, 11:04 PM   #9
SoCalJon
Lieutenant
Rep

Is this overkill?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 11:14 PM   #10
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Is this overkill?
HA! You would think but it's great to have a little more than not enough. Remember to never reuse a microfiber until washed, or if dropped on the ground, needs to be washed.

Oh, and the Rag Company is great stuff! Great choice.

PS- P&S have a great microfiber detergent named "Rags to Riches"
SoCalJon234.50
      11-08-2022, 09:21 AM   #11
SoCalJon
Lieutenant
Rep

Alright... the two of you have been helpful, thanks!

Part of what I'm trying to do is to simplify this to just a handful of products that I can use for preservation/protection and light cleaning without creating a complicated routine.

How about interior? (Beige Sensatec)

To continue the profile - two adults, no kids. We're pretty clean people with no really messy hobbies (except hiking), but we live in SoCal, so sunscreen is always a concern. While we don't habitually eat/drink in the car (meaning, that our daily routine does not include coffee/donuts or soda/burger), we don't have an outright prohibition against food, either. (However, eating cheetos while riding in a car with beige sensatec interior will be outright prohibited!)

Additionally, while it will take a couple of weeks to get it scheduled and completed, we do intend to install llumar Air80 on all glass surfaces for UV & heat protection.

I'm thinking of doing something like CarPro InnerQD on a regular (2 week? 4 week?) basis from the beginning -- using it on pretty much all of the interior surfaces (trim, screens, dash, handles, etc.). It's attractive to me because they suggest that it can be used on every interior surface, has a matte finish, and some antistatic properties to help repel dust.

At some point down the road, a heavier cleaner (CarPro Inside?) may be needed for more heavily soiled components.

Questions:
1) Does that plan seem reasonable? (or overkill/not-enough?)
2) Should I be doing a UV protectant first? If so, what?
3) Is InnerQD a good "best bang for my buck" product that will work on multi-surfaces?

Additionally:
A) How about the leather steering wheel -- InnerQD OK there, or should I use a different product?
B) How about the llumar air 80 on my windows -- InnerQD? Or yet another product?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 12:21 PM   #12
peelerec
Major
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Alright... the two of you have been helpful, thanks!

Part of what I'm trying to do is to simplify this to just a handful of products that I can use for preservation/protection and light cleaning without creating a complicated routine.

How about interior? (Beige Sensatec)

To continue the profile - two adults, no kids. We're pretty clean people with no really messy hobbies (except hiking), but we live in SoCal, so sunscreen is always a concern. While we don't habitually eat/drink in the car (meaning, that our daily routine does not include coffee/donuts or soda/burger), we don't have an outright prohibition against food, either. (However, eating cheetos while riding in a car with beige sensatec interior will be outright prohibited!)

Additionally, while it will take a couple of weeks to get it scheduled and completed, we do intend to install llumar Air80 on all glass surfaces for UV & heat protection. Great Choice, I did the same for my front windshield and it helps drastically, imo.

I'm thinking of doing something like CarPro InnerQD on a regular (2 week? 4 week?) basis from the beginning -- using it on pretty much all of the interior surfaces (trim, screens, dash, handles, etc.). It's attractive to me because they suggest that it can be used on every interior surface, has a matte finish, and some antistatic properties to help repel dust. I use this exact product or Gyeon's version on it named Interior Detailer. However, I do not suggest either of those for the tach screen. So far, I have not found a single product that does not leave streaks or residue on the tach screen besides a damp microfiber with water and lightly cleaning the screen.

At some point down the road, a heavier cleaner (CarPro Inside?) may be needed for more heavily soiled components. Yes, I use CarPro Inside for heavily soiled areas such as the wife spilling her Starbucks Coffee on cupholders, lol. Another option is the P&S Xpress Interior Cleaner.

Questions:
1) Does that plan seem reasonable? (or overkill/not-enough?) See Below
2) Should I be doing a UV protectant first? If so, what? This is the only think I believe you are missing and should be done at least once a month, or once a quarter in your case at the bare minimum. I use 303 Aerospace / Automotive Protectant to add UV protection to all surfaces at least once a month. For weekly washes/maintenance I will use the aforementioned products.
3) Is InnerQD a good "best bang for my buck" product that will work on multi-surfaces? Yes, I think so. Static inhibitors do help, especially when driving with open windows.

Additionally:
A) How about the leather steering wheel -- InnerQD OK there, or should I use a different product? For maintenance I think InnerQD is ok. BUT, to start with, you should use a proper leather cleaner and add a leather protectant. The same as you would with the seats and any other leather. I used Gyeon Mild Leather Cleaner and Gyeon Leather care (coating for leather).Additionally, for my peace of mind and since I am OCD on car care, I also coated my sensatec seats.
B) How about the llumar air 80 on my windows -- InnerQD? Or yet another product?Use glass cleaner as normal, such as Stoners which is by far the most known quality product, or my go to CarPro Clarify Glass Cleaner.
See above in BOLD
SoCalJon234.50
      11-08-2022, 01:28 PM   #13
SoCalJon
Lieutenant
Rep

Are these the leather products you're suggesting?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1VCSLB0K&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 10:04 PM   #14
KyK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

If you have the ability to rinse the car off. Why not do something like gyeon can coat ceramic coating and get an ego leaf blower. You can just spot clean the dirtier areas with normal soap and water and rinse the rest of the car off then air dry with the ego. It'll be fast and have minimal swirling risk on the car. This is what I used to do at my condo only difference is that I had a full ceramic coating.
Porsche 911 Carrera T (retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 10:49 AM   #15
SoCalJon
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyK View Post
If you have the ability to rinse the car off. Why not do something like gyeon can coat ceramic coating and get an ego leaf blower. You can just spot clean the dirtier areas with normal soap and water and rinse the rest of the car off then air dry with the ego. It'll be fast and have minimal swirling risk on the car. This is what I used to do at my condo only difference is that I had a full ceramic coating.
Interesting... I think my wife would kill me if I bought a leaf blower.

Also, I'm trying to avoid water waste...we're not really setup for hose washing/rinsing where I live.

Thanks, though!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 11:11 AM   #16
SoCalJon
Lieutenant
Rep

Alright... after reading all the advice here and other places, watching YouTube videos., etc. - here's where I landed:

Inventory:
  • 303 Automotive Protectant
  • CarPro InnerQD
  • GYEON LeatherSet Mild - Leather Cleaner, Leather Coat, Brush, Applicator
  • Wolfgang Uber Rinseless
  • Wolfgang Microfiber cleaner
  • Stoner's Invisible Glass
  • 10 TRC Creature Edgeless Black (for wheels & rockers - up to 5 for A wash and 5 for B wash)
  • 10 TRC Edgeless 365 Yellow for A wash
  • 10 TRC Edgeless 365 Blue for B wash
  • 2 TRC Gauntlet Drying (one for A wash, one for B wash)
  • 5 TRC Diamond Weave Glass & Window
  • 100 6Mil Nitrile Gloves
  • 2 Spray bottles (to make exterior QD/pre-soak from Wolfgang's Uber Rinseless)
  • 3 Home Depot Buckets/lids (Wash, Store Clean Rags, Store Dirty Rags)

Initial Work upon purchase:
  • 303 Automotive Protectant on interior surfaces
  • Gyeon LeatherSet for Steering Wheel

Every 2-3 weeks:
  • Rinseless Wash, using presoak spray if needed
  • CarPro InnerQD
  • Stoners on interior glass

Every 2 washes:
  • Machine wash towels with Wolfgang Microfiber Cleaner; wash warm/cold, dry low. (wash glass towels separate by hand)

Every 3-6 months or as needed:
  • Eventually purchase and use CarPro Inside

How'd I do? Any comments or adjustments? I've probably spent about $250... which is probably a little more than I intended... however, it should cover me for almost a year of washing before I have to start replacing product.

Last edited by SoCalJon; 11-10-2022 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 05:32 PM   #17
Tman97
Rep

Quote:
Alright... after reading all the advice here and other places, watching YouTube videos., etc. - here's where I landed:

Inventory:
  • CarPro InnerQD
  • 10 TRC Creature Edgeless Black (for wheels & rockers - up to 5 for A wash and 5 for B wash)

Every 2-3 weeks:
  • CarPro InnerQD

Every 2 washes:
  • Machine wash towels with Wolfgang Microfiber Cleaner; wash warm/cold, dry low. (wash glass towels separate by hand)

How'd I do? Any comments or adjustments? I've probably spent about $250... which is probably a little more than I intended... however, it should cover me for almost a year of washing before I have to start replacing product.
Looks like you have a pretty solid plan. The only thing I would say is you can wash your glass towels with your other microfibers. The only thing I separate is that I wash any towels I use on my wheels separately from any towels used on paint or glass. I always use the same towels for paint and don't mix them with the towels used for wheels because your wheels will pick up far more contaminants than your paint.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 05:58 PM   #18
peelerec
Major
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Inventory:
  • CarPro InnerQD

Every 2-3 weeks:
  • CarPro InnerQD

Every 2 washes:

Looks like you have a pretty solid plan. The only thing I would say is you can wash your glass towels with your other microfibers. The only thing I separate is that I wash any towels I use on my wheels separately from any towels used on paint or glass. I always use the same towels for paint and don't mix them with the towels used for wheels because your wheels will pick up far more contaminants than your paint.
Yes, this. Exactly this. Whatever are the first jest of the dirty microfibers, wash separately and soak in microfiber detergent if needed.
      11-11-2022, 07:20 PM   #19
SoCalJon
Lieutenant
Rep

Got it. Thank you both.

Do i need to wash the towels before I use them the first time, or is that just overkill?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 09:11 PM   #20
Tman97
Rep

Quote:
Got it. Thank you both.

Do i need to wash the towels before I use them the first time, or is that just overkill?
Yes, I would go ahead and wash your new towels before their first use. Doing that will get rid of any loose fibers in the towels.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 09:53 PM   #21
MasterOfNone
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW m340

Damn I just use a laserwash 40$ monthly subscription with ceramic coating.

I would love to do this, great post. Wish I had the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 09:58 PM   #22
SoCalJon
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
Damn I just use a laserwash 40$ monthly subscription with ceramic coating.

I would love to do this, great post. Wish I had the time.
Well…. Here’s hoping that I find/make the time. I’m marginally optimistic that after a few runs at it, I can get pretty decent at it and not take too much time.

Next I’ll have to upgrade my garage lighting. This is getting expensive !

Appreciate 0