BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Sound troubles

07-20-2020, 01:46 PM   #1
Brice2ie
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

Sound troubles

Hello,
I literally joined the group today. Picked my 2019 320d up last week and I am very happy with it.
However, today I went to look around the options on the screen only for the speakers to suddenly fail. I think the subs under the seat are still active as the bass seems to work but nothing from the speakers. The reversing beep works also.
I deleted my phones to be sure it was not relating to those but no joy. I have also checked all the 5amp fuses listed on the “media fuse list” on the fuse sheet. All seem fine.
One fuse I cannot find is F1 but it is relating to quite a number of systems and only my speakers have failed. Has anybody any ideas of what else I can check. Is there a fuse other than on the list “media” that I should check. Really gutted to have this issue after a few days. Dealer is booking me in but that’ll take a few days plus my work gets in the way.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 03:47 PM   #2
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

That’s annoying! I’m sure it will all get fixed pretty quickly though.

Have you tried rebooting the iDrive? You just push in the volume/power button i think for about 90s until the screen goes off.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 04:09 PM   #3
Brice2ie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbs73 View Post
That’s annoying! I’m sure it will all get fixed pretty quickly though.

Have you tried rebooting the iDrive? You just push in the volume/power button i think for about 90s until the screen goes off.
Hello and thank you.

Yes I tried that but no joy.
I’ve noticed this evening the indicator ticking is also not working. Was trying to find a common fuse. F1 is connected to the media, steering (maybe indicators I guess) and low/high beam (I thought maybe the chime for bulb failure) but I cannot figure out where the F1 fuse is.. it says BDC and while I found a fuse panel on the drivers and side one on the boot, I could not find the left panel or the BDC fuses.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 01:36 AM   #4
jmilner83
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 3.0 M-Sport

I'd be interested to know what the issue is here. I had a similar issue where the sound system lost all bass for an entire journey. It only came back on when at the end of the journey reversing on the drive.. Very odd. Never happened again.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 04:08 PM   #5
andy5468
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340D LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilner83 View Post
I'd be interested to know what the issue is here. I had a similar issue where the sound system lost all bass for an entire journey. It only came back on when at the end of the journey reversing on the drive.. Very odd. Never happened again.
Mine has randomly lost all bass on 3 occasions since I had the car 3 months ago. It always comes back to life after powering down the car and leaving it. When I power up the car for the next journey, the bass suddenly reappears.

This has happened again tonight. I am hoping the bass comes back when I get into the car for work tomorrow.

I had pointed this out to the dealership when it was in for a warranty replacement headlight only last week, but they found no issues or fault codes with the radio.

Annoying issue that I hope does not occur too often. My understanding is that it is not an unknown issue with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 07:13 AM   #6
Brice2ie
Rep

Just as said above, when I was least expecting it, the sound came back. I hadn’t driven the car on a Thursday. When I drove it yesterday I noticed after a few minutes the indicator clicking was back. Turned the radio on and hey presto... all ok. Very strange but very happy it’s all back working.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 07:39 AM   #7
Funboy78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘72’ BMW M340d G20 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brice2ie View Post
Just as said above, when I was least expecting it, the sound came back. I hadn’t driven the car on a Thursday. When I drove it yesterday I noticed after a few minutes the indicator clicking was back. Turned the radio on and hey presto... all ok. Very strange but very happy it’s all back working.
Personally I would still raise it with the dealer, they might check it out or update something. Better than it happening again when out of warranty.... usually if something is intermittent like that it doesn’t just fix itself!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 06:42 AM   #8
andy5468
Private First Class
Rep

[QUOTE=andy5468;26471547]Mine has randomly lost all bass on 3 occasions since I had the car 3 months ago. It always comes back to life after powering down the car and leaving it. When I power up the car for the next journey, the bass suddenly reappears.

This has happened again tonight. I am hoping the bass comes back when I get into the car for work tomorrow.

I had pointed this out to the dealership when it was in for a warranty replacement headlight only last week, but they found no issues or fault codes with the radio.

Annoying issue that I hope does not occur too often. My understanding is that it is not an unknown issue with BMW.[/QUOTE

And as expected the bass returned when I got in the car the following morning. Been fine since.

I am fully expecting this to happen again at some point, although fortunately, it seems random and no more than once a month. Frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 06:49 AM   #9
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

[QUOTE=andy5468;26485272]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy5468 View Post
Mine has randomly lost all bass on 3 occasions since I had the car 3 months ago. It always comes back to life after powering down the car and leaving it. When I power up the car for the next journey, the bass suddenly reappears.

Annoying issue that I hope does not occur too often. My understanding is that it is not an unknown issue with BMW.[/QUOTE

And as expected the bass returned when I got in the car the following morning. Been fine since.

I am fully expecting this to happen again at some point, although fortunately, it seems random and no more than once a month. Frustrating.
When it happens again, video the problem with your phone - the indicators not clicking, volume not working, etc.

Far too easy for dealers to 'not be able to replicate' a fault and fob you off. If you have absolute, incontrovertible proof of a fault, you can turn around and say 'Well, investigate better or refer to BMW'
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 12:20 PM   #10
andy5468
Private First Class
Rep

[QUOTE=robbiep;26485279]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy5468 View Post

When it happens again, video the problem with your phone - the indicators not clicking, volume not working, etc.

Far too easy for dealers to 'not be able to replicate' a fault and fob you off. If you have absolute, incontrovertible proof of a fault, you can turn around and say 'Well, investigate better or refer to BMW'
The only thing I lose is the Bass. There is no clicking and no loss of volume. Worth a try recording it, but to be honest, I am not sure if the loss of bass would be picked up on my phone video recorder.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 02:50 AM   #11
Brice2ie
Rep

They will not change the module as it is working, I have already had that discussion... (argument.) While the technician saw himself that it was not working, the sound module (was told this is the known issue) has not failed in this instance for BMW to authorise the change. I am also aware they updated my software the day before the sound failed on the car. What this does show is if they’d just updated the software again (reinstalled it) when I went to see them, the sound would have been fine there and then. I had an almost identical issue on an Audi with an upgraded Bose system a number of years ago. Basically, they said I went through the menu too quickly an ultimately froze the system. An issue they had with the upgraded sound system. I had to wait for the system to reboot and find the sound module. This never changed and in the time I owned the car, probably had it 6 or 7 times. I bought a OBD cable on a famous cheap e site... lol.. and rebooted it myself. Took all of 5 minutes. Always came back on. Very annoying though.
Appreciate 1