Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK New BMW App? "My BMW"

08-02-2020, 05:06 PM   #23
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire330e View Post
So, having had a proper look at the app and a think about what it does and doesn't do, I just submitted this in the App Store feedback section. I note the developer seems to be pro active in responding to feedback so that's encouraging and as others have noted, saying further releases will be coming.

Here's what I've fed back, at the risk of sounding like the Forum Fuhrer, can I suggest everyone does similar so they 'get the message' loud and clear as to what doesn't work (historically with Connected) but should do and what we expect to see.

I've not mentioned remote engine starting, I know UK Discoveries can do this, so regional regulations shouldn't be an issue, but for some reason BMW don't offer this in the U.K. but do in other countries, personally I think with a 330e it's not necessary, but can see it would be with a petrol or diesel engine only.

Did I miss anything:

"As this stands this is inferior to BMW Connected:

• It's missing the headlights feature and also a quick view of the doors/windows/boot/bonnet status features. It did just flash up saying doors locked or similar when opening the app but then disappeared and cannot be seen or found subsequently.
• Also there doesn't appear to be a remote software (iDrive) update feature. When this is added, it needs to be the current or more up-to-date iDrive software version and not an outdated OTA one like we currently get through Connected, this causes frequent trips into dealers for a plug-in iDrive software update, which isn't good use of owners or dealers time.
• Also the link to Alexa feature is missing, not that this works properly anyway in Connected, but needs to do! I can link Alexa for tasks such as check fuel range, ventilate vehicle, unlock etc remotely from an Alexa device, but the in-car Alexa feature which I have seen an official BMW video of, simply will not link through into the car, when following the steps (in Connected).
Outside of this apps remit probably, but the Connected Skill in Alexa says it's no longer active - probably because it's being superseded by MyBMW to link with this new app? Something needs doing to communicate it to the user either way.
• Connected has previously shown eDrive statistics, there was a middle tab between remote and info which is now gone - this is an absolute travesty that it's still missing and an absolute must-have expectation.
• The settings for remote heating/ventilation should be more intuitive, i.e. should be able to programme temperature setting, whether A/C is on or off, control heated seat settings etc, not just rely on the last settings before the ignition was turned off."

Get hammering the feedback sections in AppStore and PlayStore (? is it?)!

Let them know pushing out a half arsed effort isn't good enough!
Good idea. Opportunity for a fresh start.

Just on your point for remote engine start. This will never happen in the UK:

1. The Law in the UK is: the use of such apps "would only be lawful where the driver was in close attendance and could take control of the vehicle if needed."

So you can technically start your car engine from anywhere which breaks the law and BMW can't say that won't happen.

2. It's illegal to remote start/leave car engine running on a public road. In Germany they are super tough - literally in the car and drive away. No excuses.

I believe the German car makers made a pact to disable remote engine start in certain countries. It's the same reason speed camera alerts aren't built into the Nav (illegal in France for example) but are in Range/Land Rovers.

3. Land/Range Rovers remote start doesn't turn on the engine. It's an aux heater/cooler that takes up space and increases weight. No engine needed. All electrics.

Also plug ins again it's fine as no engine is used.

4. As RR/LR are built in the UK, not subject to German law. And they include speed camera alerts in the Nav (as soon as you enter France it automatically turns off speed camera alerts). I've had a RR and had speed camera warnings built into the Nav and had the aux heater optioned.

Remote engine start will never be an option in the UK for BMW. And I guess because of the aim to reduce weight, won't add an aux system in a relatively moderate climate country.