Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums USA - Southwest Declined All After Purchase Options on new 2021 330i

05-25-2021, 04:48 PM   #1
Charliehc75
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330i

Declined All After Purchase Options on new 2021 330i

I'm a first-time buyer of a new BMW 330i and turned down all of the optional protection plans due to the excessive costs. The following, among others, were offered...Vehicle Service Contract - $5,400, Tire & Wheel Protection - $2,655, Chip Bra Protection - $1,100, Dent Protection - $759, Key Replacement - $658, Maintenance Agreement - $5,878. Just curious to know if others purchased any of these benefits or have regrets for not purchasing any of them.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 05:06 PM   #2
diablo2112
2024 M440i GC (G26)
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i Gran Coupe

The only one of these worthwhile is tire/wheel protection.

1) $2655 is outrageous for this coverage. I've always been able to get this for around $600-700.

2) Depending on your tire/wheel selections, this can be very worthwhile at that price.

It's a must for 20" rims + runflats. Just read the forums about this combo. I had 20" rims and runflats on a 640i I leased a few years ago. I had a total of 7 tires and 1 rim replaced under warranty. I actually hit the $5000 payout limit (read the contract, its in the details). It paid off many times. For 19" rims on a 3-series w/ runflats, it's also advisable. I had to replace 4 tires on a 2015 335i, and wish I had purchased insurance. 18" rims are probably ok, and 17" rims won't need coverage at all.

Honestly, my biggest issue with the BMW sedans are tires and rims, especially the god-awful run flats. Combine these with low-profile rims and anywhere with potholes, and you're going to lose tires. Happens fairly often, I'm afraid. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 03:07 PM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I just told the SA "no" up front and also told him that if I was hassled on it, I am walking out the door. So...no hassle and certainly none of these.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2021, 06:57 PM   #4
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliehc75 View Post
I'm a first-time buyer of a new BMW 330i and turned down all of the optional protection plans due to the excessive costs. The following, among others, were offered...Vehicle Service Contract - $5,400, Tire & Wheel Protection - $2,655, Chip Bra Protection - $1,100, Dent Protection - $759, Key Replacement - $658, Maintenance Agreement - $5,878. Just curious to know if others purchased any of these benefits or have regrets for not purchasing any of them.
no, no, no, no, no, no on purchasing and the same answer on regrets.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 01:42 PM   #5
e90dude1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330i - M Sport

Agreed, declined all the "dealer options"...I did appreciate that they had't thrown a bunch of crap on the car already...tint/lojack/etc...like other car dealerships put on and won't remove, the only place BMW fails is there unwillingness to give up on the dumb run flat setup philosophy...it does make it easier for them to try to sell you a "tire replacement" package especially for lease end returns...but in general if a dealership "offers" you anything run away or just say no, my experience with BMW dealerships is they are low pressure typically as they know they have a good product...went with a friend to a Dodge dealership and it was hysterical all the BS they were slinging to get my friend to pay for all the extra dealer stuff...lol
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 12:14 PM   #6
Charliehc75
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330i

Just a belated thanks for all the replies!!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 07:54 PM   #7
bubbaZ40
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Discount tire will sell you certificates to cover the tires for about $250
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 04:41 AM   #8
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Yeh all these options are just extra profit for the dealer and not good value
If you want them, look elsewhere where they will be a lot cheaper

It does impact the deal you get though .

I found this when I ordered my car and stated I didn't want anything else just the car .
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 01:58 PM   #9
MarkOK
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M440i Convert.

I just took my lawn mower in for a warranty service. It took 3.5 hours of my life to deal with the phone calls, warranty authorizations, and getting it to the warranty service provider. And, I still am gambling that they don't deny the service because of one of numerous loopholes the warranty provides, and who know how long before I get that mower back. I'll probably have to buy a new mower just because it would be the cheapest of possible options to get through a month+ wait for the 'warranty service' to be complete.

That is the case whenever I try to use a warranty. Headaches, pains, loopholes and exclusions.
So, in all honesty, if a warranty comes with a produce -- great, I will try to remember that. But no way in heck am I going to fork over real cash for a 'possible' paid warranty claim later (with much difficulty involved, no doubt). I scheduled my BMW process at closing time. We were there until 30-45 minutes past closing getting everything signed. So when the options came I put no to everything, they were like "okay cool, let's get out of here".
No regrets.

-- The no hassle at closing the deal was the only thing my BMW dealer (the one in OKC) did right. The rest of the process was very frustrating -- we waited half a hour+ to talk to sales staff we had an appointment with (and wouldn't let us talk to someone else), they were very rude about negotiation down the 5K markup over MSRP (which they initially tried to hide while telling us to sign the price agreement document), they had nothing by xmodels on the lot at the time with nothing in the color or trims that we wanted to see in person (their ordering person buys nearly everything in black or white with shadowline packaging and the smae grey wood interior trim options). After ordering, we had a total lack of communication about the order progress, and though they said we were 'first in queue for an allocation', they somehow got several 4 series cars for the lot in the 4-7 months after our order was placed before we got ours finally delivered so I am quite sure they punted us down the road several times. Complete opposite of my experience buying a toyota across the street from there 10 years ago where everyone was super awesome up until the package add-ons to which the finance guy was very pushy about. Anyways, going to try the 'other dealer' in the state for my service work.

Last edited by MarkOK; 08-16-2023 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0