Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications What are the necessary tools to replace intake and charge pipe?

05-22-2022, 04:34 PM   #1
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

What are the necessary tools to replace intake and charge pipe?

I am wondering what tools I will need to remove the stock air intake system and charge pipe for the G20 330i (B46TU) because I am going to be replacing them with aftermarket parts (MST Intake and FTP chargepipe).

Anyone who has done this, can you advise? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 06:37 PM   #2
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnsignalslol View Post
I am wondering what tools I will need to remove the stock air intake system and charge pipe for the G20 330i (B46TU) because I am going to be replacing them with aftermarket parts (MST Intake and FTP chargepipe).

A simple google search would have easily gained you the below link:

Appreciate 1
      05-24-2022, 03:25 AM   #3
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:

Basic wrench set with sockets & torx bits, elbow grease (lots of it, fingers and arms will be hurt..), attention to detail, that's about it.

My 330i is FBO, for the most part besides catless downpipe, all the engine components I removed and installed myself. It's all doable, none of it is really all too difficult. Just need the time and patience.

Goodluck!
Appreciate 3
      07-13-2022, 11:10 PM   #4
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g20beam View Post
Basic wrench set with sockets & torx bits, elbow grease (lots of it, fingers and arms will be hurt..), attention to detail, that's about it.

My 330i is FBO, for the most part besides catless downpipe, all the engine components I removed and installed myself. It's all doable, none of it is really all too difficult. Just need the time and patience.

Goodluck!
Thanks! Just got around to doing it today and finished up in about 4 hours for everything (unplugged the battery too just to be safe). I know that's not the best time but I'm still new to all of this so hopefully I'll improve with more experience

Can you look at my new threads about some troubleshooting with these parts? I think you might be more knowledgeable about those things and it would be greatly appreciated. Have a good one!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 11:12 PM   #5
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbiejones View Post

Hey man, I looked at that video and while it provided some support, I ended up mostly using another video to install the intake because there are differences in the installation process for the B48/B58 plus the intakes having structural differences due to the different engines. Thanks for the link though!
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2022, 05:16 AM   #6
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbiejones View Post

Hey man, I looked at that video and while it provided some support, I ended up mostly using another video to install the intake because there are differences in the installation process for the B48/B58 plus the intakes having structural differences due to the different engines. Thanks for the link though!
No worries - I am glad you were able to get everything installed!
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2024, 09:46 PM   #7
Two3Series858
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i, 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i   [0.00]
2015 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I performed this exact same install last night. MST CAI System and an FTP Chargepipe. I went back and forth on 2 YT videos for guidance and got it done in just over 5 hours. You'll need a Torx wrench set, Allen wrench set, various flathead screwdrivers (the smaller in length the better) to help get connectors off, a flashlight, probably some thin but tough gloves, some elbow grease, and patience. I took both off and then installed the chargepipe and then the intake.
Main grumble points were:
- Removing the PCV connectors on both ends
- Lining up the Chargepipe as it was being installed
- Reinstalling the sensors to the Intake pipe (the two stacked on each other that sit closer to the turbo inlet)
- needing a 2nd person at times and not having one
Appreciate 0