BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-27-2020, 02:22 PM   #1
super51fan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Which manual transmission will the G8x have?

Do we know which manual transmission the G80 will be using? I am under the assumption the S58 shares the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the B58tu which currently does not have a model with a manual transmission.

Currently, the GS6-53BZ is probably the go to choice considering the higher torque rating over the GS6-45BZ. But slapping on an old trans doesn't mean it really suits the car, the 718 Cayman GT4 is a good example of this. BMW's reluctance to use this transmission in other new models may indicate to them thinking the same leading them to developing a new transmission. Again this is just speculation, but I think it is interesting to think of potential transmission candidates in lieu of the reveal in a few months

I think it is safe to narrow down the potential candidates to options from Getrag and ZF due to their existing relationship with BMW.

Taking images from BMW's S58 introduction videos here, it appears as if it is mated to the Getrag M DCT which is reportedly being replaced with the ZF8. (Feel free to correct me on my visual identification here.) But Getrag does have a modular manual transmission from 5-7 gears that would allow the ratios to be fine tuned to maximize performance, usability, and fuel economy. Also this transmission supports hybrid technology thus future proofing the investment if they were to add a small electric motor.

If they don't go with Getrag, ZF has an interesting option. ZF no longer lists a 6MT on their site but they do have a 7MT which is used in the 911. I believe this would mean the M3/M4 would have to move to a transaxle setup. Although is a potentially expensive setup, it would help with weight distribution and with setting the M3/M4 apart from the competition.

Of course this is all speculation, but any thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 10:52 AM   #2
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

I would assume the existing ZF choice would eliminate RWD, which seems unlikely
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 11:22 AM   #3
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Highly likely they will take the current 6mt from the existing M2/M3/M4 and port it over with minimal modifications. Possibly a couple bits to beef it up for a higher torque load. Unlikely there will be much need for large ratio changes as the g2x platform as a whole is using similar overall tire wheel diameter as the f3X platform, I would expect that to flow over to the Ms. redlines are functionally similar comparing the s55 and s58, difference in max rpm won't be meaningful on the street with the same gear ratios. Maybe bmw elects to shorten some ratios considering the later torque peak for the s58..... my general guess it it will feel like plug and play
Appreciate 5
mkoesel7505.50
Ilyam5888.50
themnmd1687.00
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      07-01-2020, 03:49 PM   #4
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
No way BMW is putting any money into putting anything much different than the F80 manual considering it seems like they barely put the 6MT in this time around anyway. Which is fine by me, a decent manual is better than no manual at all.

Also, while the B58TU1 never had a manual mated to it, doesn't it have the same bell housing as the B58? I'd imagine they're pretty much all physically compatible. The image you show looks like a Getrag manual to me, not the DCT. Why does it look like a DCT to you?

I don't think the ZF transmissions used in the 911 would be available to use in BMW. While they are manufactured by ZF, they are likely specifically designed for the rear engine 911 and might even be licensed only to Porsche like the PDKs which are also made by ZF. Anyway, the test drives clearly show a 6 speed shift pattern.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #5
super51fan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
No way BMW is putting any money into putting anything much different than the F80 manual considering it seems like they barely put the 6MT in this time around anyway. Which is fine by me, a decent manual is better than no manual at all.

Also, while the B58TU1 never had a manual mated to it, doesn't it have the same bell housing as the B58? I'd imagine they're pretty much all physically compatible. The image you show looks like a Getrag manual to me, not the DCT. Why does it look like a DCT to you?

I don't think the ZF transmissions used in the 911 would be available to use in BMW. While they are manufactured by ZF, they are likely specifically designed for the rear engine 911 and might even be licensed only to Porsche like the PDKs which are also made by ZF. Anyway, the test drives clearly show a 6 speed shift pattern.
I am pretty sure it doesn't. I know EAG had to use a transmission from a 520d when manual swapping a Supra since the B58 non-tu versions wouldn't bolt up. I was under the impression it was a DCT due to the ribbing being different than manual getrags I have seen.

I should have been more clear. Maybe they wouldn't have used the same specific transmission but it is something ZF is capable of producing.

Yeah it is clear they use a 6mt now but I asked this over a month ago when specifics were unknown.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2020, 04:57 PM   #6
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Wonder if they'll improve the rev hang at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 03:10 AM   #7
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheseUncertainTimes View Post
There's no way to improve rev hang. It's for emissions control and there's no way they'd make a car these days without some rev hang without figuring out how to control NOx emissions some other way.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2020, 08:19 AM   #8
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

The existing 6MT that is in F8x and completely different from the 6MT that is in F3x, is excellent and can handle higher torque too as people have modified current vehicles with no transmission issues.

I drove 6MT in e9x and F3x then in F80 and this one is by far most precise and excellent match.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 10:12 AM   #9
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by super51fan View Post
Do we know which manual transmission the G80 will be using? I am under the assumption the S58 shares the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the B58tu which currently does not have a model with a manual transmission.

Currently, the GS6-53BZ is probably the go to choice considering the higher torque rating over the GS6-45BZ. But slapping on an old trans doesn't mean it really suits the car, the 718 Cayman GT4 is a good example of this. BMW's reluctance to use this transmission in other new models may indicate to them thinking the same leading them to developing a new transmission. Again this is just speculation, but I think it is interesting to think of potential transmission candidates in lieu of the reveal in a few months

I think it is safe to narrow down the potential candidates to options from Getrag and ZF due to their existing relationship with BMW.

Taking images from BMW's S58 introduction videos here, it appears as if it is mated to the Getrag M DCT which is reportedly being replaced with the ZF8. (Feel free to correct me on my visual identification here.) But Getrag does have a modular manual transmission from 5-7 gears that would allow the ratios to be fine tuned to maximize performance, usability, and fuel economy. Also this transmission supports hybrid technology thus future proofing the investment if they were to add a small electric motor.

If they don't go with Getrag, ZF has an interesting option. ZF no longer lists a 6MT on their site but they do have a 7MT which is used in the 911. I believe this would mean the M3/M4 would have to move to a transaxle setup. Although is a potentially expensive setup, it would help with weight distribution and with setting the M3/M4 apart from the competition.

Of course this is all speculation, but any thoughts on this?
Magna 6MTI550 (shown in the image you linked).
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2020, 09:23 AM   #10
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheseUncertainTimes View Post
Define improve.

im·prove
/imˈpro͞ov/

verb
make or become better.
"we've used technology to improve relations with customers"
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 01:10 PM   #11
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Ok. Funny funny ha ha. Dose of my own medicine there.

So what do you mean improve.
Reduce the rev hang. Probably won't because of emissions though.
Appreciate 0