Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Window tint triggering auto-dimming on both displays during the day

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-15-2020, 05:23 PM   #265
muscledroid
New Member
2
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i RWD
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
It definitely does suck. That being said, you being in a very sunny climate makes the dimming issue not as bad. It's pretty simple, the more visible light and infrared light that can hit the sensor on your gauges, the less you will notice the dimming issues. I honestly don't think some cars have the problem and some cars don't. I think it's the same, but location plays such a big factor as well as how much someone even notices something like this. I'd wager that the few people who have said they have zero issues with a 20% ceramic tint, if I actually showed them what the issue is there would probably be a lot of head scratching (and many people wishing they had never seen it lol).

I have no regrets getting ceramic tint and I live in sunny San Diego. Granted, it's 30% and not super dark. I also wear polarized sunglasses whenever driving the day (which could make it appear even darker) and have never thought the display was too dim.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 06:19 PM   #266
Burrcold
Major
Canada
1040
Rep
1,260
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscledroid View Post
I have no regrets getting ceramic tint and I live in sunny San Diego. Granted, it's 30% and not super dark. I also wear polarized sunglasses whenever driving the day (which could make it appear even darker) and have never thought the display was too dim.
Case and point...you live in San Diego and went with a relatively light tint. I wouldn't expect that you'd notice much of a difference.
__________________
2020 BMW M340i xDrive
2019 Audi S5 Sportback - RIP
2019 Audi S4 - Sold
2018 Audi S5 Coupe - Sold
2018 Lexus IS350 F Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 07:33 PM   #267
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
82
Rep
214
Posts

Drives: 2020 330i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
I honestly don't think some cars have the problem and some cars don't. I think it's the same, but location plays such a big factor as well as how much someone even notices something like this. I'd wager that the few people who have said they have zero issues with a 20% ceramic tint, if I actually showed them what the issue is there would probably be a lot of head scratching (and many people wishing they had never seen it lol).
100% agree, and have been saying this since the beginning. A major variable here is human perception. Someone who says they have 20-30% ceramic tint and "no dimming issues" simply isn't noticing the dimming issues, more than likely because they haven't bothered or don't care enough to do any tests that allow for an A/B comparison (plus the human eyes and brain really suck at providing quantifiable data). But hey at the end of the day, if your screens stay bright enough for your own personal preferences, that's all that really matters. But to say you don't have the dimming issue is false. I promise you it's there. It affects ALL models of BMW with the new digital dash, as they're all using the same related components and code. I've personally studied/recorded it (with a light meter) in multiple G20s, two X5s, an X7 and an X3...several of which had zero front window tint.

2020 X5, zero tint on front windows, door wide open, moderately sunny day...and the display still dims out hardcore within 10 seconds after removing the IR blaster:

Last edited by 2020g20; 05-15-2020 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
Burrcold1039.50

      05-15-2020, 08:26 PM   #268
Burrcold
Major
Canada
1040
Rep
1,260
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020g20 View Post
100% agree, and have been saying this since the beginning. A major variable here is human perception. Someone who says they have 20-30% ceramic tint and "no dimming issues" simply isn't noticing the dimming issues, more than likely because they haven't bothered or don't care enough to do any tests that allow for an A/B comparison (plus the human eyes and brain really suck at providing quantifiable data). But hey at the end of the day, if your screens stay bright enough for your own personal preferences, that's all that really matters. But to say you don't have the dimming issue is false. I promise you it's there. It affects ALL models of BMW with the new digital dash, as they're all using the same related components and code. I've personally studied/recorded it (with a light meter) in multiple G20s, two X5s, an X7 and an X3...several of which had zero front window tint.

2020 X5, zero tint on front windows, door wide open, moderately sunny day...and the display still dims out hardcore within 10 seconds after removing the IR blaster:
We're definitely on the same page on this. Hopefully the amount of testing both of us have done can help make some informed decisions for others. Like you said, some don't notice or care. Ignorance is bliss.
__________________
2020 BMW M340i xDrive
2019 Audi S5 Sportback - RIP
2019 Audi S4 - Sold
2018 Audi S5 Coupe - Sold
2018 Lexus IS350 F Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 09:38 PM   #269
cigaro
Enlisted Member
14
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW m340i
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscledroid View Post
I have no regrets getting ceramic tint and I live in sunny San Diego. Granted, it's 30% and not super dark. I also wear polarized sunglasses whenever driving the day (which could make it appear even darker) and have never thought the display was too dim.
Which ceramic did you go with?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 10:11 AM   #270
muscledroid
New Member
2
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i RWD
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigaro View Post
Which ceramic did you go with?
Formula one pinnacle. I've used it on past cars and felt it's good value. I thought about going up to stratos but didn't think the jump in price was worth the small improvement in heat rejection.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 10:14 PM   #271
bmw noob
Private First Class
bmw noob's Avatar
14
Rep
114
Posts

Drives: 2017 F30 340i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

Hey all. Thanks to all of you for all of the great information in this thread. I finally picked up my car and had 15% "regular" (non-ceramic) llumar installed on all windows except windshield. So far the display has remained plenty bright even during the day. I found some slight dimming after testing with phone’s flashlight, but nothing that made the screen noticeably harder to view, and certainly not like some of the videos posted here.

I live in Miami, so a dim display would be very noticeable in the bright sunlight. Not sure if I'm lucky, but I am definitely pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by bmw noob; 05-29-2020 at 11:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 12:27 AM   #272
jsandhu96
New Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW 330i
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

After a couple weeks with Color Stable tint I'm seeing some more obvious dimming now but only when I drive through an area with trees and shade. I didn't notice this happening before the tint but I probably just didnt notice? Don't think its a deal killer for getting tint, but auto dimming in general is dumb lol.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST