Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos What to get as a daily driver?

06-15-2017, 07:02 PM   #1
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
What to get as a daily driver?

I've been trying to get a head start on winter beater shopping & was planning on just getting a Crown Vic or something cheap, but after the Miata got towed home today I might be buying something sooner rather than later. Hopefully, it is just the ignition switch as I suspect. I'll know next week. I ordered one today. If not, I'm not chasing gremlins. I'll sell the damn car.

I have been thinking I'll just get a TBSS, but not gonna pay $15k for one with high miles & the ones I find I like either never get back to me or have too many issues.

I'd like to get something that I can haul parts & crap with if need be, but I'm not opposed to a sedan or something. If possible, I'd like some sort of fun to drive factor which is one reason I wanted a TBSS. However, the most important thing is reliability. Yes, I could get a late model Corolla or something, but that is the definition of boring so I'll leave that as a last resort. UNLESS, I can get a stellar lease deal on a car like that for around $100 per month with no $ down or close to it.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 07:04 PM   #2
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

What's a tbss
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 07:11 PM   #3
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
What's a tbss
Trailblazer SS
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 08:16 PM   #4
merakulous
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Trailblazer SS
Never in a million years would I have guessed that.
      06-15-2017, 08:25 PM   #5
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by merakulous View Post
Never in a million years would I have guessed that.
lol...I think any bmw makes a great daily driver.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2017, 08:43 PM   #6
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

Apparently there are some hyundais or kias you can get leases for $100 somrthing a month. Im hearing local parents do it for high school kids.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 09:06 PM   #7
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmartyPants View Post
Apparently there are some hyundais or kias you can get leases for $100 somrthing a month. Im hearing local parents do it for high school kids.
We shall see. I emailed some local dealers of various makes. The key is 0 down. I am not dropping $2-3k on a lease.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 08:07 AM   #8
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Saab 9-7x aero

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 08:14 AM   #9
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
We shall see. I emailed some local dealers of various makes. The key is 0 down. I am not dropping $2-3k on a lease.
I don't lease but have never understood what difference it makes if someone pays $2k down and a lower payment or the other person pays zero down but a higher payment. Seems to me the total amount paid over the term would be by far the most important number.

I guess it makes sense if you don't want $2k tied up in the car?

Just a question as I have seen the same "don't put money down on a lease" many times so you definitely aren't the only one.
      06-16-2017, 09:01 AM   #10
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I don't lease but have never understood what difference it makes if someone pays $2k down and a lower payment or the other person pays zero down but a higher payment. Seems to me the total amount paid over the term would be by far the most important number.

Just a question as I have seen the same "don't put money down on a lease" many times so you definitely aren't the only one.
You don't get it back if you crash the car pulling off the dealer lot.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 09:02 AM   #11
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

The idea is that if you put down money on a lease you would end up losing that money if for some reason the lease ended early (car accident, stolen car, lease transfer or early trade in).
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 09:02 AM   #12
Aerosoul Bastard
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW X1  [10.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
m2 of course
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #13
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
You don't get it back if you crash the car pulling off the dealer lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3753 View Post
The idea is that if you put down money on a lease you would end up losing that money if for some reason the lease ended early (car accident, stolen car, lease transfer or early trade in).
Makes sense but I think the risk is minimal (I have never totaled/had a car stolen) and a sliding scale, worst case right after you drive off the lot and best case a month from lease termination. I would still look at he total deal and not remove anything from consideration just because of the down payment.

With no money down assuming the lease requires some type of gap insurance to cover the leasing company for this exact reason and I am then paying more because I didn't put money down?
      06-16-2017, 09:25 AM   #14
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Makes sense but I think the risk is minimal (I have never totaled/had a car stolen) and a sliding scale, worst case right after you drive off the lot and best case a month from lease termination. I would still look at he total deal and not remove anything from consideration just because of the down payment.

With no money down assuming the lease requires some type of gap insurance to cover the leasing company for this exact reason and I am then paying more because I didn't put money down?
RE: Gap insurance. Some states have laws in place that protect the buyer (CT does) from owing anything if the car is totaled.

Also, I'm happy you're never totaled a car but that does not minimize the risk. You can be the best motorcycle rider on planet earth but if another vehicle hits your, you're still dead. It literally just happened to Nicky Hayden while riding his bicycle.

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 09:28 AM   #15
Saanen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD, VW e Golf (DD)

It depends how far you need to go, but I got a VW electric Golf the lease after rebate was $1,200 (in California) and then $79/month for 10K miles a year on a 3 year lease...it essentially pays for itself in gas savings. I put BBS wheels and good tires on it and it is a quick lil round town car(0-30 is 2.5 secs, faster than a GTI). Only problem is the range limit (which quickly drops to 50 if you drive the way I do)....but that is just a great excuse to pull out my real car...MMMMMMMMMM2)!!!!!!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 03:08 PM   #16
Mr. Liu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 '14 E63 '05 E55K

If you can swing it, Audi is having good deals on 2017 A4/A6 leases.

I'm going to be picking up a 17 A6 2.0T for about 550 a month, zero drive off, zero down.
      06-16-2017, 03:13 PM   #17
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
RE: Gap insurance. Some states have laws in place that protect the buyer (CT does) from owing anything if the car is totaled.

Also, I'm happy you're never totaled a car but that does not minimize the risk. You can be the best motorcycle rider on planet earth but if another vehicle hits your, you're still dead. It literally just happened to Nicky Hayden while riding his bicycle.
The chances of me buying a new car and totaling it soon after are very small and whether I put money down or don't doesn't change my chances. Then we are talking about risking the $2k-$3k down payment not life or death. My BMW could blow the engine tomorrow and I would be stuck with a bill 4 times this amount and I don't worry about it either, it's a financial risk but also very small and I wouldn't get involved with the risk if I wasn't able to handle it.
      06-16-2017, 03:25 PM   #18
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
I've been trying to get a head start on winter beater shopping & was planning on just getting a Crown Vic or something cheap, but after the Miata got towed home today I might be buying something sooner rather than later. Hopefully, it is just the ignition switch as I suspect. I'll know next week. I ordered one today. If not, I'm not chasing gremlins. I'll sell the damn car.

I have been thinking I'll just get a TBSS, but not gonna pay $15k for one with high miles & the ones I find I like either never get back to me or have too many issues.

I'd like to get something that I can haul parts & crap with if need be, but I'm not opposed to a sedan or something. If possible, I'd like some sort of fun to drive factor which is one reason I wanted a TBSS. However, the most important thing is reliability. Yes, I could get a late model Corolla or something, but that is the definition of boring so I'll leave that as a last resort. UNLESS, I can get a stellar lease deal on a car like that for around $100 per month with no $ down or close to it.
check out acura tsx wagon
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 03:43 PM   #19
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Saab 9-7x aero
Lol thats one ugly car, I believe on the trailblazer platform.
In europe it has the name 'trollblazer' and is one of the reasons saab went bankrupt. Another not so bright GM idea.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 03:58 PM   #20
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
It's literally a Sweded up version of the Trailblazer SS. The powertrain is badass and I happen to think it's a very attractive vehicle. That's one hell of a sleeper SUV.

I think of it as an innocent offspring of a horrific circumstance.

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 04:02 PM   #21
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:

I think of it as an innocent offspring of a horrific circumstance.
We call it a bastard child nobody wants
No one is waiting for GM parts in a saab, let alone a bad handling GM car with just a saab body (bumper that is, rest of the body is just an Oldsmobile Bravada).
The saab 9-7 is so much what saab wasnt about. Its a wet dream from some stupid american gm manager that obviously sold really badly.
Thats the difference between ford and gm.
GM bought saab and thought they knew whats best for saab. Saab went bankrupt for that.
Ford bought volvo and let them do their own thing. They could go through ford's parts bin if they wanted too but had the freedom to make their own parts. Volvo flourished (they've shown steady groth in all recession years), and ford even got to make the insane focus RS-400 with that crazy 5cyl volvo engine...

Saab never showed any growth since gm bought it in 2000.
In fact, 1999, the year before the buy out, saab probably had its top year both in europe and the US. Thats how bad GM was for saab.
And now that gm sold Opel (another fail story regarding the last 2 decades), they're gone out of europe. good riddance. GM are one of the biggest bunglers of the car industry if you regard their global policy.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 06-16-2017 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 07:15 PM   #22
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

The chances of me buying a new car and totaling it soon after are very small and whether I put money down or don't doesn't change my chances. Then we are talking about risking the $2k-$3k down payment not life or death. My BMW could blow the engine tomorrow and I would be stuck with a bill 4 times this amount and I don't worry about it either, it's a financial risk but also very small and I wouldn't get involved with the risk if I wasn't able to handle it.
Yes, the chances of losing that money are small, but putting the money down doesn't help you. You're still paying the same amount over the length of the lease. If the money factor (interest rate) is low, than you're better off investing that down payment and paying a higher monthly. If the money factor is high, then you shouldn't be leasing it. Just an FYI (and you may already know this), never negotiate the cost of a car based on monthly payments, ever. True even when leasing.
Appreciate 0