Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Running Shoes

11-02-2021, 12:07 PM   #1
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Running Shoes

I've been very frustrated with this process. My New Balance 880's have seen their better days. Knee and shins started giving me problems. I tried the new 880's and they feel good walking around on but when running on the treadmill I would like a little more cushion under the toe box area. I bought a pair of Brooks ghost just now and planning on running in 2 different shoes for my lunch work out. Shoes feel one way when walking around but different when you run. I guess I'm just frustrated because I want a good pair of shoes. Any shoe purchase prior had nothing to do with running. I've also been to the speciality stores so am being fitted with shoes that are good for me.

Runners, do you buy more than 1 pair and rotate? Any tips/tricks on shoe selection?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 12:28 PM   #2
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
Runners, do you buy more than 1 pair and rotate? Any tips/tricks on shoe selection?
Hi Rebekah, as members already know, I run a lot. I do 10/15Ks practically every day with the occasional half marathon.

I have been using ASICS Kayano exclusively for years. I go through at least three pairs a year. But the secret is having custom made orthotic inserts through a podiatrist or chiropractor. You will see the difference in your knees and hips.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 01:25 PM   #3
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
Hi Rebekah, as members already know, I run a lot. I do 10/15Ks practically every day with the occasional half marathon.

I have been using ASICS Kayano exclusively for years. I go through at least three pairs a year. But the secret is having custom made orthotic inserts through a podiatrist or chiropractor. You will see the difference in your knees and hips.
Thank you! What is it that you like about the Kayano?

My knee wasn't bothering me running until just recently which is why I'm on the hunt for new shoes. As far as my hips, they are always tight. I have driven a lot over the years and honestly didn't stretch like I should have in my younger years after working out. I work with several podiatrists so will chat with one of them.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 01:49 PM   #4
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
i've had great results with highest end nike react shoes...specifically the epic reacts (1 & 2)...which are no longer produced...and now the react infinity run 2.

i was previously an asics nimbus fan, but recurring ankle and knee injuries (due to playing too much full court basketball) made me give up running until i found positive results with nike's react series.

i'm a true believer in trying on multiple different manufacturers' shoes during a single sitting. all the manufacturers have high-impact / ultra-cushioning models these days, but your personal fit is likely more important that the difference between nike vs. asics vs. new balance.

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line

Last edited by happyjack; 11-02-2021 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 01:57 PM   #5
Marmugmotleocay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3M Competition

ASICS NovaBlast are awesome.
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3128.50
      11-02-2021, 02:04 PM   #6
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Big on Nike Pegasus. I just upgrade models each year. Started with the 35s -> 36s -> 37s and about to purchase a pair of 38s as mine are on their way out.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2021, 02:09 PM   #7
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the advice so far. I have tried on multiple pairs and definitely not worried about the brand and more concerned with the fit. The fit is where I'm having the issue. I ran in the Brooks ghost during lunch today and could feel the arch part a lot in my right foot. I did like how the cushion went throughout the shoe & like that over the 880's. I think I'm going to go back to the first speciality store I went to last week and give the Asics a whirl. About to chat with my podiatry friend about her thoughts on inserts.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 02:10 PM   #8
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

So many good running shoes out there now. The different foams are so well developed.

alternating now between two shoe and will probably add a third to the rotation in a month or so.

1) Asics Noosa Tri 13, triathlete shoe - cause it has a comfy inner liner can been worn without socks, a pull-on-tab on the heel for fast transition from bike to running, and an enclosed lacing system you can switch to if you want. The shoe felt funny walking in the store due to the drop and front up-curve. But by my second run (most runs are 8-miles plus) the shoe felt perfect.

2) Puma Velocity Nitro the new Puma are serious, well designed shoes. (Molly Seidel is the brand ambassador now). Where some shoes feel over designed this shoe feels simple with very good cushioning. Great shoe.

I'd been using Seth Demoor YouTube videos for my shoe searches. I'm comfortable just going to brand websites and ordering new releases but more than Runners World or Running Guru I get caught up in the Demoor craziness and it entices me to try shoes.

Just finished up using the Hoka Mach 4, had a nice cushion for forefoot strikes, though I'm usually a mid to heal striker. Very nice shoe. I kinda felt some hot spots on 14 mile runs, hot spots I didn't feel on my ON Cloudflows. But I'm not a good enough tester to be certain it wasn't my socks. Still would not hesitate to do a half-marathon distance in the Hoka.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 02:10 PM   #9
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Big on Nike Pegasus. I just upgrade models each year. Started with the 35s -> 36s -> 37s and about to purchase a pair of 38s as mine are on their way out.
I have a pair of Pegasus I wear for work because I like the colors. Absolutely could not run in them. Had shin splints so bad it was awful: I'm impressed you can run in them. They are comfortable for walking.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2021, 02:14 PM   #10
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
So many good running shoes out there now. The different foams are so well developed.

alternating now between two shoe and will probably add a third to the rotation in a month or so.

1) Asics Noosa Tri 13, triathlete shoe - cause it has a comfy inner liner can been worn without socks, a pull-on-tab on the heel for fast transition from bike to running, and an enclosed lacing system you can switch to if you want. The shoe felt funny walking in the store due to the drop and front up-curve. But by my second run (most runs are 8-miles plus) the shoe felt perfect.

2) Puma Velocity Nitro the new Puma are serious, well designed shoes. (Molly Seidel is the brand ambassador now). Where some shoes feel over designed this shoe feels simple with very good cushioning. Great shoe.

I'd been using Seth Demoor YouTube videos for my shoe searches. I'm comfortable just going to brand websites and ordering new releases but more than Runners World or Running Guru I get caught up in his craziness and it entices me to try shoes.

Just finished up using the Hoka Mach 4, had a nice cushion for forefoot strikes, though I'm usually a mid to heal striker. Very nice shoe. I kinda felt some hot spots on 14 mile runs, hot spots I didn't feel on my ON Cloudflows. But I'm not a good enough tester to be certain it wasn't my socks. Still would not hesitate to do a half-marathon distance in the Hoka.
Thanks!! I'm going to check out his YouTube videos. I saw in another thread an exercise maybe it was that you posted about hip flexors and 100 degree swing or something like that. Do you have a link to that?

Interesting on the Puma's. My husband just got a new pair and said he loves them and are extremely comfortable but he's not wearing them to run.

Hoka is to boxy of a big shoe for me. I've tried on several pairs of ON's and just don't love them. They feel very strange to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 02:17 PM   #11
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I have a pair of Pegasus I wear for work because I like the colors. Absolutely could not run in them. Had shin splints so bad it was awful: I'm impressed you can run in them. They are comfortable for walking.
Oh dang, yeah I've never had an issue luckily. I'm no marathon runner though. Typically around 20-30miles a week.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 02:19 PM   #12
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Thanks!! I'm going to check out his YouTube videos. I saw in another thread an exercise maybe it was that you posted about hip flexors and 100 degree swing or something like that. Do you have a link to that?

Interesting on the Puma's. My husband just got a new pair and said he loves them and are extremely comfortable but he's not wearing them to run.

Hoka is to boxy of a big shoe for me. I've tried on several pairs of ON's and just don't love them. They feel very strange to me.
check out this video at the 4:15 and 4:50 marks

Appreciate 1
rebekahb3128.50
      11-02-2021, 02:35 PM   #13
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I have been wearing Asics for the past six months, the GT-2000-8 and Tartheridge racing flat and I'm a fan. For years, I liked the Nike lightweight shoes but they changed drastically a couple of years ago then the Adidas Boost Series but the Asics are light, supportive and I like the look of them.
      11-02-2021, 02:52 PM   #14
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
Thank you! What is it that you like about the Kayano?
For one thing, the toe box is generous which allows your foot to spread some after a long run and prevent overlapping of the toes if too tight and cause bleeding when nails start to cut into the epidermis.

Second, the heel box is nice and tight and practically indestructible. The newer models are carbon re-enforced. So no more chaffing and blisters from the calcaneus bone travelling up and down the back of the heel counter.

The Kayanos are very neutral in stability and motion control which suits my style.
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3128.50
      11-02-2021, 03:21 PM   #15
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post

Oh dang, yeah I've never had an issue luckily. I'm no marathon runner though. Typically around 20-30miles a week.
Haha, I'm not either but they killed me.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 04:52 PM   #16
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Im using Puma Viz runners for outdoor tracks, very comfy and good to wear on medium and harder surfaces. Not recommended for gravel or soft surfaces and I also dont use them into the gym, I dont like the soft and fuzzy step feeling at different machines.
Attached Images

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3128.50
      11-02-2021, 05:10 PM   #17
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Lightbulb

Just in case. Are you sure you know how to run? They say many running enthusiasts just don't and it's not the footwear that makes their feet/legs fall apart.
Appreciate 2
chassis6373.50
Hawkeye2069.50
      11-02-2021, 07:46 PM   #18
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
When I used to run, I wore NB Fresh Foam 1080. I still wear them, although no more running (hip soreness). Excellent cushioning and comfortable/breathable upper.

Agree with "knowing how to run". I changed my running style from heel striker (caused hip soreness) to mid-forefoot striker but it was too late. Heel striking does not use the calf as a shock absorber and the impact goes straight into the hip joint. The style change improved comfort but I think my hips were too far gone for the style change to extend my running career. Apologies if tmi.

Last edited by chassis; 11-02-2021 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 10:50 PM   #19
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Just in case. Are you sure you know how to run? They say many running enthusiasts just don't and it's not the footwear that makes their feet/legs fall apart.
Haha, yeah I know how to run. Lots of years in track. My current shoes work perfect. Just want some feedback since I'm running more and haven't had to buy shoes in a while.

You should see some of the people on the treadmill each time I work out. Last week, this one girl sounded like an elephant running next to me. I almost stopped running because she was distracting me.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 10:58 PM   #20
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
The style change improved comfort but I think my hips were too far gone for the style change to extend my running career. Apologies if tmi.
Nah, not at all. I appreciate all the comments. My hips are very tight but that's from years of not stretching properly and driving. I'm not looking to run marathons. My main goal is a good shoe because as we age things don't work quite like they used to
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 11:17 AM   #21
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Nah, not at all. I appreciate all the comments. My hips are very tight but that's from years of not stretching properly and driving. I'm not looking to run marathons. My main goal is a good shoe because as we age things don't work quite like they used to
You mentioned a few resulting injuries or discomfort, tight hips, all things that can possibly be attributed to shoes for sure, but maybe also caused by age, body changes, weaknesses, or atrophy. I'm not an expert so take it fwiw, but maybe look to some guidance on running strength in conjunction with the shoe choice. The main contributing factor to my endurance related injuries and discomfort was due to developed weakness from singular range of motion and probably sitting at a desk all day at work (and being over 40 now). With a solid prehab (and rehab with a PT) I am rather pain free/resilient and less dependent on shoe choice now days.

Just my two cents...
      05-23-2022, 12:18 PM   #22
Manny01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2

A few items to consider:

1. Go to a local reputable running store and have them figure out your foot anatomy and what style running shoe best supports your foot. They can tell your arch type and foot alignment and recommend the proper shoe to compensate. I can’t stress this enough, go to a store where runners go that sell ONLY running shoes – Big Box or national chains will not have the expertise to do this properly. Also buying and using a shoe because someone recommends there favorite IS NOT going to help you.

2. Insoles / inserts can work, and you DON'T need expensive custom made inserts from a Podiatrist. Research is overwhelmingly clear here, there’s not much difference between a $30 or $1000 custom inserts.

3. Along with proper running shoes, you really need to consider the following: dynamic stretching before your run, running style modifications, static stretching after you run, and targeted exercises. There’s a mountain of literature that explains this better than I can, but it’s a game changer. Here’s a great book that covers the stretching, exercises, and running modifications. This book saved my running: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In my 30’s I started suffering pretty badly from shin splints and tight calves. It was nuts. Took me about 6 months to work through it all. Foot strike, knee alignment on strike, cadence, hip and torso rotation, leg back swing, how you swing your arms, back and neck posture, how you breath, etc. CAN ALL IMPACT the quality of your run. And making minor modifications in these areas can significantly alleviate common pains experienced by runners. Something else that is rarely mentioned / taboo: weight loss. Ten extra pounds can literally be hundreds of pounds on your knees and back. Weight has an extreme multiplier effect that is exacerbated when you run. If you're on the heavier side, it may be beneficial to lose weight BEFORE you start running.

CLIFF NOTES: Proper footwear, stretching, exercises, running style modifications, and weight loss can go a long way.

Last edited by Manny01; 05-23-2022 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 3
chassis6373.50
rebekahb3128.50
s52pwr3.00