Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions C&D: BMW 330i RWD vs Alfa Giulia Q2 Ti Sport

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-19-2019, 10:24 PM   #23
SEAT TIME RULES
HAZMAT
SEAT TIME RULES's Avatar
343
Rep
525
Posts

Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: "Get Busy Living, or Get busy Dying"

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I've driven a 4C and the Giulia. Loved both the cars but would never own either of them.
Passionate, exciting cars, with lots of personality, but not a brand I'd put my hard earned cash into.

Chrysler owns them, need I say more...

C&D long term test:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...bility-update/

CNBC: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/08/2018...ti-review.html

https://jalopnik.com/actually-alfa-r...ble-1819080051

Alfa Sales plummet:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/driv...ar-whats-next/
__________________
2005-2006 BMWCCA Boston Chapter president
2004 Mazda Rev It Up Finalist
2002-Present HPDE Instructor
Appreciate 2
BMWZ4913.00
Pauleebe332.50

      12-19-2019, 10:26 PM   #24
ouengineer
Second Lieutenant
116
Rep
225
Posts

Drives: 2015 335xi, 97 Silvia
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Wait, did no one notice the 42mpg at 75mph from the 330!? That is insane!
Appreciate 6
A6bullet176.50
Pauleebe332.50
jwong77134.50
clee1982666.50
lab_rat266.00

      12-19-2019, 10:33 PM   #25
ouengineer
Second Lieutenant
116
Rep
225
Posts

Drives: 2015 335xi, 97 Silvia
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Many of the problems C/D experienced could likely be for the QF model. I'm not saying the car is perfect, nor do I have experience with Giulia ownership, but I have heard from other owners and reviews that the regular 4-cylinder, non-QF, is less problematic. I know MT had the Ti Sport for 20k miles with no issues, but then again as always, YMMV.

If you check the Alfa forums, they tend to have a pretty high (and very defensive) opinion of their reliability. Which means it's probably much better than the rest of us (every other car forum) think, but not near where they perceive it to be. Still, I will have to test drive one just based off looks alone.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 10:43 PM   #26
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
Bahn360Photo's Avatar
United_States
638
Rep
2,020
Posts

Drives: 2018 M4
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to Bahn360Photo
Try to run Alfa more then once even 0-60 and see in how many seconds check engine light will go on
__________________

Effective 11 Min Home Workouts?????
No equipment?????
20 years of experience
Spartan Race winner
PROtrainer!
Click the link??
https://www.youtube.com/c/FitnessGene
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 11:23 PM   #27
Fuller
Major
1133
Rep
1,242
Posts

Drives: F36 435i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
I've driven a 4C and the Giulia. Loved both the cars but would never own either of them.
Passionate, exciting cars, with lots of personality, but not a brand I'd put my hard earned cash into.

Chrysler owns them, need I say more...

C&D long term test:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...bility-update/

CNBC: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/08/2018...ti-review.html

https://jalopnik.com/actually-alfa-r...ble-1819080051

Alfa Sales plummet:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/driv...ar-whats-next/
Chrysler doesn't own Alfa. Fiat owns both brands.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 11:25 PM   #28
Fuller
Major
1133
Rep
1,242
Posts

Drives: F36 435i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouengineer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Many of the problems C/D experienced could likely be for the QF model. I'm not saying the car is perfect, nor do I have experience with Giulia ownership, but I have heard from other owners and reviews that the regular 4-cylinder, non-QF, is less problematic. I know MT had the Ti Sport for 20k miles with no issues, but then again as always, YMMV.

If you check the Alfa forums, they tend to have a pretty high (and very defensive) opinion of their reliability. Which means it's probably much better than the rest of us (every other car forum) think, but not near where they perceive it to be. Still, I will have to test drive one just based off looks alone.
The Giulia is a beautiful car.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 11:28 PM   #29
OhMyXM
Private
OhMyXM's Avatar
United_States
119
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: X3MC
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

My neighbor actually has two of them, and he, wait, hold on... too funny, just as I read this thread, one is being loaded on a flatbed as I speak! I guess it's the other ones turn to be driven 😂😂😂.

Too bad, they certainly are beautiful!! But then again, so was that crazy girl I dated a long time ago!! Thank God for restraining orders 😂😂
Appreciate 5
BMWZ4913.00
Vervain150.50
Pauleebe332.50
clee1982666.50

      12-20-2019, 12:22 AM   #30
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
4804
Rep
15,888
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

It's interesting that the Alfa's front end is considered attractive, but the G8X is abhorred.

P.S. Sounds like a win for the G20.
Appreciate 2
BMWZ4913.00
EXE46452.00

      12-20-2019, 12:38 AM   #31
premier3is
Lieutenant
premier3is's Avatar
904
Rep
554
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

I considered an Alfa Giulia before I got my G20. Didn't end up going with it, and the reason #1 was reliability lol. Also the G20 has an overall better look and feel to it, it's just a better all-around car.

If you look at some of the issues I've seen on the Alfa forums for this car, they're really odd and random problems that shouldn't be happening to any new car.

I'm happy with my G20.
Appreciate 5
Sedan_Clan4804.00
A6bullet176.50
BMWZ4913.00
Pauleebe332.50
EXE46452.00

      12-20-2019, 01:26 AM   #32
Fuller
Major
1133
Rep
1,242
Posts

Drives: F36 435i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It's interesting that the Alfa's front end is considered attractive, but the G8X is abhorred.

P.S. Sounds like a win for the G20.
I'm not sure that the g80 front end is universally abhorred. It does seem to be a polarizing design, however, and those who dislike it are passionately vocal about it. I think the silent majority are adjusting to the shift in design language, and are patiently waiting to see the finer details of how it looks in the production models.
Appreciate 2
      12-20-2019, 03:06 AM   #33
A6bullet
Second Lieutenant
Germany
177
Rep
279
Posts

Drives: M2(gone). 2020 330i MSport
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Rheinland-Pfalz

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouengineer View Post
Wait, did no one notice the 42mpg at 75mph from the 330!? That is insane!
Absolutely!

I dont see how people are missing this. I know a good chunk of people here dont care about that, but for us here in the EU, were prices are higher than the US, the ability to get excellent performance and amazing fuel economy is real winner.

This car can be an amazing Autobahn cruiser and very capable B road carver. Also the interior quality is beyond what the F series cars had. The car feels amazingly solid.
__________________
Appreciate 2
      12-20-2019, 05:37 AM   #34
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
georgere's Avatar
United_States
542
Rep
1,919
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3 BSM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Stamford CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauleebe View Post
A lot of this comparison is moot in my opinion, because whenever I hear the brand "Alfa", all I can think of is "unreliable". Sure it's a great car, but being in the shop more than on the road is a non-starter.
I agree and this is where Alfa marketing strategy sucks. Alfa's are good cars and reliability wise not as bad as pple think, but the marketing fails to recognize simple things there. They need to lower the price, provide longer warranty, and put some money into advertising.
I love Alfa over BMW (design power and steering feel is so nice in Alfa) but could not commit due to reliability risks when competitors offer similar packages for same price but you know what to expect from them (as opposed to Alfa). Alfa should really learn from hunday how to come to market and win.
__________________
My 1st love was 2006 BMW 325i Sport + Prem 6MT but I married the 2016 M3 BSM MDCT.
Appreciate 3
BMWZ4913.00
cdhIV0.00
Pauleebe332.50

      12-20-2019, 06:35 AM   #35
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
spool twice's Avatar
United_States
359
Rep
1,736
Posts

Drives: BMW M4cs
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tampa Bay, FL Area

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouengineer View Post
Wait, did no one notice the 42mpg at 75mph from the 330!? That is insane!
Automatic winner in my book, such a well-verse machine the G20 is.

For reference, 42mpg is close to what my daily driver 2017 Jetta SE 1.4t 5speed manual gets at 75mph (it gets 43-44mpg, it's 2,950 lbs, 205 cross sectional eco-minded tires). That the G20 can accomplish this being heavier, having a larger engine, and sticky tires on the handling package, that's amazing!

Also, did anyone notice how much faster the Alfa got as compared to their 2017 test vehicle? 99mph vs 104mph in the 1/4 mile trap speed, wringer? 5mph is significant.
__________________
-Loe P.-
Prior: '02 S4 6spd / '04 M3 SMG / '04 S4 6spd / '07 E92 335i 6spd / '09 E90 M3 DCT
Sold:'14 Audi S5 DSG [ APR ECU/TCU | Pullies + basic bolt-on mods | 10.861@127.90mph ]
Current: '19 M4cs, '17 Jetta 1.4t 5spd
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2019, 07:52 AM   #36
SEAT TIME RULES
HAZMAT
SEAT TIME RULES's Avatar
343
Rep
525
Posts

Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: "Get Busy Living, or Get busy Dying"

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Chrysler doesn't own Alfa. Fiat owns both brands.
We are both wrong, and both right :-) Fiat Chrysler Automobiles

is the holding Co.
__________________
2005-2006 BMWCCA Boston Chapter president
2004 Mazda Rev It Up Finalist
2002-Present HPDE Instructor
Appreciate 1
Fuller1133.00

      12-20-2019, 08:38 AM   #37
PassportBMW
New Member
14
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Washington D.C.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
When I initially read the comparison there are some points I have trouble with.

C/D claims that the Alfa's steering was lacking in feel/feedback. I find that confusing as they have posted countless reviews in which they have given high praise for the steering feel regardless of model/drivetrain, every single review they posted of the Alfa mentions that as a key area in which Alfa has the competition beat, as they currently have some of the best electric steering in the industry.

The suspension I also find confusing as well as that is also something that has received high praise from both C/D as well as other sources, and the Giulia in my opinion and many others have found it to be extremely planted.

For practicality, interior materials and tech, the 3 is most definitely the winner, and it does still handle well, but when it comes to the driving experience, I believe Alfa is still king of the segment.
Probably reviews for the Giulia QF and not the standard models?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 09:33 AM   #38
Stage IV
NAMR6MT
United_States
2691
Rep
1,636
Posts

Drives: 2007 Cayman S
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Chester County, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
We are both wrong, and both right :-) Fiat Chrysler Automobiles

is the holding Co.
FCA, the 3 most dreaded letters in the automotive industry
__________________
987.1 CS|6MT|Basalt black|sport chrono|manual seats|SOUL exhaust and headers|Softronic tune|Numeric SSK

Flat Six Innovations 3.8L Stage II Performer engine being built
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 09:36 AM   #39
goj
Brigadier General
goj's Avatar
United_States
2194
Rep
3,626
Posts

Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauleebe View Post
A lot of this comparison is moot in my opinion, because whenever I hear the brand "Alfa", all I can think of is "unreliable". Sure it's a great car, but being in the shop more than on the road is a non-starter.
Comments like this are so overblown and bullshit.

How many Alfa's have you owned since they relaunched here in the U.S. in 2018? How many have you driven? How many Alfa's have you had in the "shop"? People that post up shit like this shouldn't have a keyboard to type on.

The Alfa line up eats anything BMW puts against it... The suspension, engine, driving feel and points of engagement are incredible. Sure...the new 3 series has a refreshed interior and it looks much better than the previous F30...but that's about all it has going for it against anything Alfa.

These fanboy comments with zero validity are just pointless.
Someone got defensive lol lighten up ol sport
__________________
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 1
Pauleebe332.50

      12-20-2019, 09:48 AM   #40
Fraggy
Brigadier General
Fraggy's Avatar
United_States
143
Rep
3,449
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauleebe View Post
A lot of this comparison is moot in my opinion, because whenever I hear the brand "Alfa", all I can think of is "unreliable". Sure it's a great car, but being in the shop more than on the road is a non-starter.
Mines never seen the shop except for oil changes.
__________________
2016 Alpine White M3 (gone)
2019 Alfa Romeo Guilia (Totaled)
2020 Car-less 😁 (no more)
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 10:18 AM   #41
Pauleebe
Colonel
Pauleebe's Avatar
United_States
333
Rep
2,225
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post
Comments like this are so overblown and bullshit.

How many Alfa's have you owned since they relaunched here in the U.S. in 2018? How many have you driven? How many Alfa's have you had in the "shop"? People that post up shit like this shouldn't have a keyboard to type on.

The Alfa line up eats anything BMW puts against it... The suspension, engine, driving feel and points of engagement are incredible. Sure...the new 3 series has a refreshed interior and it looks much better than the previous F30...but that's about all it has going for it against anything Alfa.

These fanboy comments with zero validity are just pointless.
Where do you see articles like this for the Audi A4, BMW 3 series, Merc C class?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...bility-update/
__________________
///M340i
Appreciate 1
jwong77134.50

      12-20-2019, 10:25 AM   #42
premier3is
Lieutenant
premier3is's Avatar
904
Rep
554
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauleebe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post
Comments like this are so overblown and bullshit.

How many Alfa's have you owned since they relaunched here in the U.S. in 2018? How many have you driven? How many Alfa's have you had in the "shop"? People that post up shit like this shouldn't have a keyboard to type on.

The Alfa line up eats anything BMW puts against it... The suspension, engine, driving feel and points of engagement are incredible. Sure...the new 3 series has a refreshed interior and it looks much better than the previous F30...but that's about all it has going for it against anything Alfa.

These fanboy comments with zero validity are just pointless.
Where do you see articles like this for the Audi A4, BMW 3 series, Merc C class?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...bility-update/
Oh man.... I remember reading this article while I was shopping for vehicles :/
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 10:48 AM   #43
jstein55
Colonel
jstein55's Avatar
United_States
3364
Rep
2,325
Posts

Drives: BMW/Mercedes-Benz
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassportBMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
When I initially read the comparison there are some points I have trouble with.

C/D claims that the Alfa's steering was lacking in feel/feedback. I find that confusing as they have posted countless reviews in which they have given high praise for the steering feel regardless of model/drivetrain, every single review they posted of the Alfa mentions that as a key area in which Alfa has the competition beat, as they currently have some of the best electric steering in the industry.

The suspension I also find confusing as well as that is also something that has received high praise from both C/D as well as other sources, and the Giulia in my opinion and many others have found it to be extremely planted.

For practicality, interior materials and tech, the 3 is most definitely the winner, and it does still handle well, but when it comes to the driving experience, I believe Alfa is still king of the segment.
Probably reviews for the Giulia QF and not the standard models?
No, ever single one of their non-qf reviews have praised the steering and have called it best in class, which is why I find this comparison conflicting.


"Both vehicles come with the same sharp handling, crisply communicative steering, as their 2019 versions."

"What really sets the Alfa Romeo apart from the competition is its steering. A quick, 11.8:1-ratio rack translates to 2.3 turns lock-to-lock, and even better than the responsiveness is the intuitive feedback and road feel. Ride quality is excellent on the optional 18-inch wheels, and the structure is as solid as any in the segment. Alive and graced with some of the rawness of the 4C sports car, the Giulia steers with a precision and purity that BMW has retreated from and Audi and Mercedes-Benz have yet to figure out. In the Giulia's segment, the Cadillac ATS's steering comes closest."

"The Giulia's dynamics also are spot-on, achieving a nearly ideal ride/handling balance that picks up where the BMW 3-series left off one generation ago. It doesn't take much seat time to feel the liveliness of the Alfa's controls, starting with the perfectly weighted steering rack, which has great on-center feel, quick turn-in, and, above all, is communicative, with just the right amount of feedback filtered through to the driver. The car moves gracefully on twisty roads, the balanced weight distribution (we measured our rear-wheel-drive test car's 3636-pound curb weight at 49.8 percent front, 50.2 percent rear) making it easy to get into a rhythm."

It just seems weird to compliment the suspension/ride and steering many times to only dismiss it in this one article when nothing about the Giulia has changed
__________________
Current Vehicles - 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 | 2019 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Retired Vehicles - 1995 325i 5MT | 2004 330i 6MT | 2011 335xi | 2017 540i | 2017 Boxster S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 11:15 AM   #44
M3GymNut
Major
669
Rep
1,031
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3 BSM
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauleebe View Post
A lot of this comparison is moot in my opinion, because whenever I hear the brand "Alfa", all I can think of is "unreliable". Sure it's a great car, but being in the shop more than on the road is a non-starter.
What's moot that in every thread that mentions AR you have these ignorant comments about them being unreliable without doing proper research. They've gotten better since they came out in 2017 and are just as reliable as a BMW or Merc. Definitely most dealership networks have ways to go to get up to par when it comes to service and maintenance knowledge.

At the end of the day the Giulia's drive better and are more fun to drive than the 3 series. Other things the 3 series has the edge.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST