Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Undisclosed substantial repair work

03-26-2020, 06:23 PM   #1
Carbon dude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 320D 2019, current M340i

Undisclosed substantial repair work

Hello all, first post and I apologise in advance for it's length. I am also taking into consideration that of the current climate and there bigger things going on. However any advice/similar experience will be greatly appreciated.

2 weeks ago I bought a approved mineral white, g20 2019 plate, 5560 miles from a approved dealer in England, paying 29k. It was previously a demo car at a another BMW branch in England during which the registered owner being BMW. BMW then took the car back and the branch I went to then bought it.

Living in Scotland I got the Salesman to send a video and pictures, everything ticked the box and I went and inspected the car. It looked great, gleaming and no obvious damage etc. Also asked about any previous repairs etc and I was told none. I was happy and bought the car.

4 days later I had a chance to play about with the interior door lights and that's when I noticed the rear left led strip light was loose and illuminated behind the speaker. On closer inspection I saw that interior panels around the led strip is damaged. Inferring it had being poorly removed.

I immediately emailed the sales manager, hours went by and no reply. Spoke to him and he said he had a quick glance at the email. He said everything I wanted to hear, get the car to your local branch and we will take care of you, we don't leave you high and dry etc. Further asking him to look into any repairs which he would do.

Since making the manager aware I have spotted substantial evidence that damage has happened to the rear, both left doors and front left wing.
Evidence is -
Misaligned boot,
water in the tool kit bay
diffuser not clipped on fully
Paint over spray on rear left exhaust
Plastic frame behind diffuser broken
Bolts missing from under the chassis
Boot seal not flush
Masking tape behind rear bumper, under left side of car and in engine bay.
Both left doors removed, paint on nuts stripped.
Paint on the front left wing has a slightly different colour, not as vibrant as the mineral white but close, looks like a smart repair.

I can go on but you get the picture. My car has received a substantial impact and repaired and I was not made aware of this, dispite asking.

The day before the car was going in to get checked I told the manager about all of further faults I found, he remained tight lipped, only saying get it all looked at when it's in the garage. I asked about any repairs and he said not to my knowledge. I got the feeling that he knew more than he was letting on.

Unfortunately the car was booked in for the day of the lockdown and I'll need to wait until life has gone back to normal as all dealers are shut. There is no record of any repairs carried out anywhere, not even at BMW.

I have since had a look at the rear steel structural support beams where it meets the bumper, can't recall the correct name for it. I'm not sure ifs it's been weld repaired of if its factory weld.

I also saw that the welding on the rear wings are different. The rear right has factory welding, nice and neat. The left look different and a bit jagged, maybe a weld repair on the left wing? As that's where all the damage seems to be.

Again, sorry for the lengthly post. I would be great full if any one can provide advice on where I stand etc. My intention is to get the car in at my local BMW and looked over in detail. I need to know the extent of the repairs as there is no record of repairs. If no record can be found then the cars going back, I'm not driving and owning practically a new car with a unknown repair history. If its only cosmetic then I want everything back to normal and compensation.

I'm not paying 29k for a 1 Yr old car with only 5560 miles and it's been in a substantial crash. Its not what I paid for and it will have devalued it. Especially when I was told no repairs have been done.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 10:05 PM   #2
MUFCbmwbear
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M2 & 20 M340xi

They need to take the car back and refund you in the full amount.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 05:51 AM   #3
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Reject it. Take no excuses.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 07:04 AM   #4
BeagleKCH
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320d xDrive M Sport

I see you're in Scotland. In England, I'm pretty sure that you have an absolute right to reject it in the first 28 days. If you are planning to reject it, (I would) best you fire off an e-mail immediately to the seller.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 08:21 AM   #5
Carbon dude
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the replies folks. I got hold of the head of sales at the branch, he confirmed no repairs done by them and offered a full refund whenever the lockdown is lifted. He understands that I will never truly be happy with the car.
If its just cosmetic damage then repairs will be done where needed and no cost to me. That's if I was happy it's just cosmetic work that's happened and not structural.
Appreciate 1
Seaford1124.00
      03-27-2020, 10:04 AM   #6
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

There seems to be a few of this type of case recently.

Not good.

The only positive thing I can say is that the dealer I bought mine from were eventually superb in addressing the issues I uncovered after a slow start.

Based on my experience I would ensure that the most senior person at the dealer is made aware of the issue - I eventually went direct to the MD and only then did things really start happening.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 10:16 AM   #7
Carbon dude
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
There seems to be a few of this type of case recently.

Not good.

The only positive thing I can say is that the dealer I bought mine from were eventually superb in addressing the issues I uncovered after a slow start.

Based on my experience I would ensure that the most senior person at the dealer is made aware of the issue - I eventually went direct to the MD and only then did things really start happening.

It was the head of branch I spoke to, so it's with him now. He seemed rather insistent on refunding the car as I would never be truly happy with it. I mentioned if it was only cosmetic and it was fixed to the appropriate standard I would consider keeping it, (hassle of returning it and looking for another car) even then he was still mentioning refunding it as I would truly be happy. I thought that was unusual on how isistant he was. I may have picked him up wrong or he could be genuinely concerned about my satisfaction but at least its with the most senior person now.

You mention that there are similar cases like this recently, what have you heard, if you don't mind me asking.
Appreciate 1
Seaford1124.00
      03-27-2020, 10:22 AM   #8
Preciseyyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 35i G20 m340

The only insight have besides the obvious is that looks like paint failure on exhaust tips. My 340 looks the exact same. And it started during my time owning it.
Aside from that you appear 100% correct in findings as well as anger and frustration
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 06:23 AM   #9
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1985 View Post
It was the head of branch I spoke to, so it's with him now. He seemed rather insistent on refunding the car as I would never be truly happy with it. I mentioned if it was only cosmetic and it was fixed to the appropriate standard I would consider keeping it, (hassle of returning it and looking for another car) even then he was still mentioning refunding it as I would truly be happy. I thought that was unusual on how isistant he was. I may have picked him up wrong or he could be genuinely concerned about my satisfaction but at least its with the most senior person now.

You mention that there are similar cases like this recently, what have you heard, if you don't mind me asking.
You may have seen this thread??

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1705997

It seems to me the issue is with cars being moved between dealers- I am pretty sure that is what happened with my f34 - maybe 'damage in transit' but who knows the history.

I put a deposit my current G20 without even seeing photo as the car hadn't been delivered to the dealer - they were taking it direct from BMW UK - presumably a staff car - and touch wood it is fine.

But on reflection I can see I was putting total faith in the dealer - and, to be fair, they have proved me right.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 07:50 AM   #10
blau3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 30d

Take the offer of a full refund and run a mile.

I had a similar experience with an Alpine White X5 two and a half years ago.

Car was a shambles and even if it had been put right, I would never have been happy - and given you've had the eye to spot these issues - nor will you.

Move on, there are plenty of other options out there, and the dealer should bend over backwards to help you if they have anything similar in their AUC stock
Appreciate 3
Seaford1124.00
      03-28-2020, 07:50 AM   #11
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
I would commission a motor engineers assessment. They will be independent. I would claim the cost of it when you look at your refund.

I would then look at rejecting the car. I posted some letters on the other thread mentioned.
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 07:55 AM   #12
Carbon dude
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
You may have seen this thread??

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1705997

It seems to me the issue is with cars being moved between dealers- I am pretty sure that is what happened with my f34 - maybe 'damage in transit' but who knows the history.

I put a deposit my current G20 without even seeing photo as the car hadn't been delivered to the dealer - they were taking it direct from BMW UK - presumably a staff car - and touch wood it is fine.

But on reflection I can see I was putting total faith in the dealer - and, to be fair, they have proved me right.
That's good to hear about the 'bmw central'. The branch bought it from bmw as it was previously a staff/demo car. Both bmw and my dealer are saying they haven't carried out any repairs and theres no records. I may be wrong but I'm getting a feeling that a dealer might have did an off the books repair, I'm not sure though.

When I asked the salesman about repairs, he said no repairs, sales manager said not to his knowledge, service staff hesitated a bit and said no repairs. There just can't be No record of any repairs.

When I was at the branch I closed the bonnet, not with to much force but enough to close. The bonnet latched down on the right but not the left side. A technician came out and said its normal and u need to slam it down and it worked. In retrospect I find this odd as all the damage has been on the left side of the car, even found the front left wing has been resprayed on the car. So my train of thought is the left side of the bonnet not catching without proper force might not be normal, inferring the technician knows something about the repairs. Meaning the branch did it.

Now I may be looking into this too much, I get that. However I would strongly like to believe that the dealer would not do something like this, the ramifications would be huge. Plus, the branch manager was overly keen on taking the car back for a refund adds to the flames that the know more than their letting on.

On a final note I spoke to bmw head office about repairs and they checked another system, this might be the 'bmw central' system. Chap came back and said he can't provide me any information if there was any repairs or not as it's down to the individual branch discretion to tell me or not. I asked if he had information on his screen about a repair that he couldn't tell me due to data protection and he said if there was or wasn't then he couldn't tell me.

Someone, somewhere is lying about the repairs.

Ta
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 08:00 AM   #13
Carbon dude
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShereKhan View Post
I would commission a motor engineers assessment. They will be independent. I would claim the cost of it when you look at your refund.

I would then look at rejecting the car. I posted some letters on the other thread mentioned.
I have beed advised to do that which I might do. The car will be going into my local bmw approved branch (when life is back to normal), it is not the same group as where I bought it from.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 08:56 AM   #14
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have beed advised to do that which I might do. The car will be going into my local bmw approved branch (when life is back to normal), it is not the same group as where I bought it from.
Having reread the thread and also the latest posts I too would take the full refund offered. And ask for a courtesy car while they source something similar.

Pain in the neck I know but you have paid a lot of money for a lemon. What happens when you come to sell it or trade it in?? Will you ever be happy with it?

Good luck with it all.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 12:02 PM   #15
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Consumer Rights Act. Reject immediately.

Note that the legal right expires after 30 days. Unless you have it in writing, signed by someone with authority (dealer principal, managing director, etc) that they will accept rejection after the lockdown has ended, you need to get it rejected and returned to them ASAP.

Also note that once rejected, you must not continue to use the car. Doing so 'implies' that you accept the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 12:21 PM   #16
jon0
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330d XDrive G20

Have you put the number plate in vcheck.uk website?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 12:32 PM   #17
Carbon dude
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon0 View Post
Have you put the number plate in vcheck.uk website?
I used 'my car check' & it came back fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 12:38 PM   #18
Carbon dude
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Consumer Rights Act. Reject immediately.

Note that the legal right expires after 30 days. Unless you have it in writing, signed by someone with authority (dealer principal, managing director, etc) that they will accept rejection after the lockdown has ended, you need to get it rejected and returned to them ASAP.

Also note that once rejected, you must not continue to use the car. Doing so 'implies' that you accept the car.

I made the MD aware pertaining to the circumstances of the lockdown and that I will still get a refund. I would also hazard a guess that the 30 day consumer right time period would hopefully be frozen until things are back to normal.
I'm compiling a email to send to him to have it in writing. As it stands there is currently no formal rejection, I need the car as I'm a key worker, also they will want the car inspected first before, which is fair. Once business is back to normal I intend to.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 02:43 PM   #19
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
I made the MD aware pertaining to the circumstances of the lockdown and that I will still get a refund. I would also hazard a guess that the 30 day consumer right time period would hopefully be frozen until things are back to normal.
I'm compiling a email to send to him to have it in writing. As it stands there is currently no formal rejection, I need the car as I'm a key worker, also they will want the car inspected first before, which is fair. Once business is back to normal I intend to.
'Hoping' or 'guessing' that the CRA deadline will be extended won't cut it if they turn round and refuse in 2-3 months.

They sold you a car under the 'Approved used' scheme that they had obviously not carried out any of their checks on. There should be no need whatsoever for them to carry out any inspection at all.

As I said, get it in writing, signed by someone senior enough to make it stick, or you are at serious risk of getting screwed over.

Yes, they might do the right thing by you. But you've no guarantees of that. And that's what you need
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 02:46 PM   #20
blau3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 30d

Quote:
'Hoping' or 'guessing' that the CRA deadline will be extended won't cut it if they turn round and refuse in 2-3 months.

They sold you a car under the 'Approved used' scheme that they had obviously not carried out any of their checks on. There should be no need whatsoever for them to carry out any inspection at all.

As I said, get it in writing, signed by someone senior enough to make it stick, or you are at serious risk of getting screwed over.

Yes, they might do the right thing by you. But you've no guarantees of that. And that's what you need
Exactly this.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 04:45 PM   #21
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

It's up to you but personally I would get it back to them and get a courtesy car soonest.

If nothing else, in the hopefully unlikely event you prang it in the interim it is going to get very, very complicated.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 09:11 AM   #22
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
Whatever you end up doing make sure you do it in writing. If you have a phone call with MD etc. Follow up with letter. Ideally recorded.
So you then can show an audit trail that you did everything reasonably possible to tell dealer. You should avoid driving the car (easy in current lockdown). Take care of car.

I would expect dealer to knock some money of the refund as you have had use of the car. Hopefully this will not be too much. But you do need to declare in writing what you are wanting to have. As any claim later will refer back to what you told them in writing.

My father rejected a Volvo back in 1986 as the factory had fitted the roll bars and marked all doors. His colleagues spotted this during lunch hour (Aviation Engineers). Volvo UK and Sweden had to be involved at the time.

Volvo took the car back and deducted the usage ~3 months. But he then negotiated extras on his new car from same dealer. Due to being messed about.
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0