Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) Caution with Grille Replacement

10-01-2020, 04:10 PM   #1
murderedg20
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i M Sport

Caution with Grille Replacement

If you have the surround camera, be very careful doing the black grille replacement. I did this mod in February and was very careful and do not remember breaking anything, however, lately my surround camera has not been lining up in the front. I brought it into the dealership and they said that when I installed the grill I broke the bracket and to fix it would be around $1,000. Just something to keep in mind if you do this yourself as it might hurt you in the future if something breaks with the camera system.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 06:19 PM   #2
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachart View Post
If you have the surround camera, be very careful doing the black grille replacement. I did this mod in February and was very careful and do not remember breaking anything, however, lately my surround camera has not been lining up in the front. I brought it into the dealership and they said that when I installed the grill I broke the bracket and to fix it would be around $1,000. Just something to keep in mind if you do this yourself as it might hurt you in the future if something breaks with the camera system.
Don't ever go back to that dealership, maybe you broke it maybe you didn't, either way no fucking way in hell the bracket costs that or close to that
      10-01-2020, 06:29 PM   #3
murderedg20
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
Quote:
Don't ever go back to that dealership, maybe you broke it maybe you didn't, either way no fucking way in hell the bracket costs that or close to that
I said that too. He said the whole camera had to be ordered and there were a few other parts.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 08:41 PM   #4
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I said that too. He said the whole camera had to be ordered and there were a few other parts.
I mean look I'm just going by what you are saying so unless you are an animal and went ape shit while you were installing it and you broke more stuff than you think you did it seems impossible that it would be that much to fix, I'm a tech for another German brand and if you saying it's working but just not pointing in the right direction or seeing something else in the image because it's in the lenses way it can only be 3 things: either came off the bracket because maybe you didn't click it all the way in and eventually moved

Or bracket is broken so camera won't sit in correct position

Or maybe you disconnected the camera or for whatever other reason the camera needs to be recalibrated

Neither of the 3 should add to that much money, at the very least I would double check it myself, you already know how to get to the camera, take a look yourself, you should be able to see at least what the problem is
      01-19-2023, 03:18 PM   #5
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
I had a similar issue except that now the camera is blurry, I found one on ebay for like $200 any idea if it's a simple plug and play??

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 11:57 AM   #6
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
This ^^^ the entire front fascia wouldn't cost that much to replace let alone a bracket. The best thing you (or anyone) can do for themselves is learn everything they can about their vehicles & how to repair them, or at least what's involved. Dealerships love people who they suspect don't know much about the vehicle they're bringing in.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 06:37 AM   #7
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

If the bracket is broken, I’d imagine it can be repaired. Try 2-part epoxy and if that doesn’t work, plastic weld the break with a soldering iron.