Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions My wipers don't work very well

09-11-2020, 11:51 AM   #1
vincechase
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330 M Sport

My wipers don't work very well

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So last night I was driving from NJ through NY and the rain was down pouring very hard. I noticed that my wipers do a very poor job at keeping water off of the windshield. I tends to smear the water then wipe it off. I was wondering if anybody has had this issue with their g20 windshield wipers and what have they done that could help this ? IT sucked and I had to drive pretty slow but made it safe

Change wipers ?

Perhaps something on my windshield?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 12:52 PM   #2
Burrcold
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Get your windshield ceramic coated! You barely have to use your wipers, it's awesome. Even before I had mine coated, I never noticed the wiper performance being poor (other than the stupid spray nozzles in the arms).
2019 Audi S4 - Sold
2018 Audi S5 Coupe - Sold
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2020, 05:12 PM   #3
plopez12808
Rep
Drives: Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Get your windshield ceramic coated! You barely have to use your wipers, it's awesome. Even before I had mine coated, I never noticed the wiper performance being poor (other than the stupid spray nozzles in the arms).
I noticed that as well. It just puts on the water on the wiper itself versus onto the windshield. Wasn't used to that.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 06:11 PM   #4
Flamingi
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 745e G11 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by plopez12808 View Post
I noticed that as well. It just puts on the water on the wiper itself versus onto the windshield. Wasn't used to that.
I actually like that feature (assuming it is working i.e. spraying just in front of the wipers). It still does the job of cleaning the windshield and you can see much better while cleaning. Especially if the sun is very low it's basically driving blind for the duration of the wiping with the traditional hood mounted nozzle.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 04:52 AM   #5
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Amen! I have never been happy with the wipers on my last three BMWs. The do tend to smear, don’t keep up with heavy rain, and they ALWAYS freaking chatter. Be careful with coating the windshield this anything. I had that in my current and last BMW. It does help reduce the need for the wipers, but when you need them, your experience with chattering and smearing may be worse. I would try to get some suggestions on the type of coating people use and have luck with. I’ve started really cleaning the blades whenever I have an issue and it does help, but I’ve just added it to my weekly cleaning routine.

To the people who like the new nozzle placements...how do you fend off tailgaters without using the overspray to piss them off?!
Appreciate 1
cak630.00

09-15-2020, 08:41 AM   #6
ovesund
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e iPerformance, i3 60Ah

The new placement of the nozzles is great when driving on salted winter roads, it saves a lot of washer fluid. It's just too bad that they cheaped out on the headlight cleaning, you have to stop now and then to wipe them clean
Appreciate 0