Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos BMW and Subaru Brand Loyalty

08-12-2019, 09:36 AM   #45
adc100
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
::: Civic Type R-ing Intensifies :::
Yea the R is an amazing vehicle
https://www.wired.com/story/honda-ci...-torque-steer/
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 09:39 AM   #46
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
Well dont hold your breath of ev's. I am 73 and I'll enjoy my '18XT and '19 XV for my driving career.

One good thing for the rest of vehicles (including BMW) it will be easier for them to make an electric motor that sits low enough and is symettrical so you won't have torque steer as is in almost every american vehicle and most foreign brands. Does BMW have unequal fron't axle lengths? I honestly don't know.

I assume you know thats why all FWD (except subaru) suck at handling. They can't justify having a boxer mounted inline/lower with equal axle lengths. Much cheaper to mount an inline engine transverse and then they can have a FWD and add AWD which is good enough for American JoeSixpacks who wouldnt know good handling if it ran over them. . I am sure if BMW decided to make a boxer and do it right like subaru you'd sing its praises.
The E9X has equal-length halfshafts for the front drive. Equal being the length of the axle between the CV joints. As far back as the E30, BMW used equal-length halfshafts. Of the hundreds of car reviews of FWD cars, in the last 15 years or so, I've not read editor's notes of adverse torque steer. GM was innovative in this area with development of its renowned HiPer Strut design. Rear-drive cars have torque steer too; it just compensated by steering the car, the difference being you can't feel the torque difference in your hands. I don't think Subaru owns the state-of-the-art in AWD systems.

While I was writing this, my sister called. She owns a 2014 Subie Imprezza. Currently at 50,000 miles and in the shop for the valve-spring recall. The dealer just called her with "the laundry list". (1) Rear tires are wearing oddly on the inside tread, needs an alignment apparently; (2) rear brakes are at 2MM (she knew that already and just hasn't had time to bring it down to me to replace them); (3) needs rear wheel bearings - really? wheel bearings at 50,000 miles - LOL. She's owned the car since 20,000 miles and bought it from a late 50-year old female friend, who bought the car new. The car lives in Maryland (DMV) with decent roads (i.e. not NYC).

She is going to bring it to me, I'll replace the brakes and get tires for it. Then she's going to sell the oil-leaking thing and replace it with a better manufactured car. In 2014 a car company can't figure out valve springs, seriously? She's indicated her ownership of the Subie has been a worse experience than her 2005 X3...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 08-12-2019 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2019, 09:27 PM   #47
Grip Addict
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M3

The Subaru brand loyalty is crazy.

My wifes vehicle is a Subaru Crosstrek. I will never buy another Subaru again, but we will run this one into the ground until we get rid of it.

I have a friend, has had nothing but problems with every WRX/STI he has owned. Pulls excuses out of his butt that everything is okay with them all. Basically in denial.

He was recently off loading his WRX for something else, I gave him so many alternative options for less money, more performance, more smiles per gallon............Nope, went back to a WRX.

It is his 3rd one in 3 years. I don't get it.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 08:24 AM   #48
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
Simple question. Why doesn't BMW build a boxer engine that would sit lower. Ferrari does it.
The new Zupra has a lower center of gravity than the BRZ/FR-S/GT86.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 07:08 PM   #49
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
We're on our 3rd Forester, and while the last one had the dreaded headgasket issue, it lasted us 7+ years and we absolutely beat it as a family hauler. I like that it comes with AWD so we can take it camping off the pavement. I love the added traction in the snow and rain when we go up to Big Bear. I love that our latest one has eyesight standard and it's not a $3000 option. For the money, Subaru delivers, and I don't really care that it's not the fastest SUV on the road. That's not why we got them. I have other cars for going fast.

I think they look good, not overly stylized, discreet, although I think the non-Touring Foresters look too plain, the added chrome/aluminum bits improve the aesthetics tremendously.

I'd say I am brand loyal to a point. I've had 7 BMWs in the past 7 years. However, I see a shift in the BMW lineup that doesn't seem as appealing as it did before. Time will tell what the G80 brings and what they do with the M2 CS.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2019, 08:19 PM   #50
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640 IX GT

I have had alot of Subarus and think they are great cars. I have given old Subarus to family members but would not give them an old BMW because it would to expensive to keep on the road. Subarus are safe, economical and honest cars for normal people and have a loyal following. I have great respect for Subaru and think their social marketing and support of progressive causes is admirable. I drive BMW's because of the excellence in their design, fit and function but it can infer a type A personality drives it. Sometimes I miss driving around in a low key Subaru which just blends in.
Appreciate 3
jmg18493.00