Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions I liked the 330i loaner I drove

03-25-2020, 01:14 PM   #23
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
Actually it dries the air too much in the winter, I haven't measured the humidity level but can feel it in my throat and sinuses when humidity is too low (YMMV). Also viruses like Coronoavirus love low humidity levels.

But my solution for lack of A/C off button is to say "Hey BMW Turn Off A/C". Works great.
Haven't thought about it like that but does make sense. What do you do about condensation though ? My windows fog up completely within 2-3 minutes of it being off. Esp. cold wet winters in NC.
2006 E90 330i RWD
2002 E46 330i RWD
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 02:04 PM   #24
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite3 View Post
Haven't thought about it like that but does make sense. What do you do about condensation though ? My windows fog up completely within 2-3 minutes of it being off. Esp. cold wet winters in NC.
I definitely still run it sometimes in the winter, and to get rid of condensation if needed, I was just responding to those who were wondering why anyone would ever need or want it off versus letting it run continuously.

In my case I find that "auto" is good enough most of the time, but some days it gets a little too cool for my taste even at the desired temp; with humidity variation, a perfect 72 degrees can feel colder at some rh% and warmer at others and I don't think the climate control system is able to adjust and keep a truly consistent feel at all times. I could optionally also adjust the temperature and and redirect vents, but for me it's easier to just issue the voice command to turn off the A/C.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 07:21 PM   #25
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
Actually it dries the air too much in the winter, I haven't measured the humidity level but can feel it in my throat and sinuses when humidity is too low (YMMV). Also viruses like Coronoavirus love low humidity levels.

But my solution for lack of A/C off button is to say "Hey BMW Turn Off A/C". Works great.
The HVAC revision in the new car is a complete fail. Losing the hot/cold thumbwheel for the face vents, the AC button being buried in the idrive and those cheap looking tiny controls (using them in all cars not just the three) are an embarrassment. So is the digital dash. Counter intuitive and unreadable. Who in design engineering thought that was an improvement over a nice set of traditional gauges?

It’s a shame because both those elements cheapen and distract from an otherwise awesome car.

A word to the wise... get the heads up display. You can’t read the speedo.... or the tach... without your eyes going the opposite of cross eyed 😂

Last edited by NewM3driver; 04-02-2020 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 07:26 AM   #26
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite3 View Post
Ive never turned off the a/c button a single time in my 20 years of driving. In the summer-it's obvious why you would want the compressor on and in the winter you need it otherwise your windows will fog up instantly.

Btw- I know the G20 chassis is great but what do you think of the "new" steering and the size of the g20?
you ever roll down those glass things on your side or above your head?
Appreciate 1
Seaford1124.00
      04-06-2020, 02:36 AM   #27
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Without wishing to get drawn into the 'a/c on or off debate' it has been mentioned in another thread that you can switch the a/c off by holding down the centre of the fan speed switch as well as through iDrive and voice control. Not having had my car out for over a week now I haven't tried it.

Is my understanding correct or have I misread - the 'auto' function will disengage the a/c automatically when not needed??

For what it's worth, he says, entering the 'a/c on or off debate'....... I like to drive when possible with the sun roof and rear windows open weather permitting so my a/c is off quite a lot, even here in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 07:28 AM   #28
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
Without wishing to get drawn into the 'a/c on or off debate' it has been mentioned in another thread that you can switch the a/c off by holding down the centre of the fan speed switch as well as through iDrive and voice control. Not having had my car out for over a week now I haven't tried it.

Is my understanding correct or have I misread - the 'auto' function will disengage the a/c automatically when not needed??

For what it's worth, he says, entering the 'a/c on or off debate'....... I like to drive when possible with the sun roof and rear windows open weather permitting so my a/c is off quite a lot, even here in the UK.
Unfortunately no the AC does not engage/disengage when in auto (otherwise I would leave it in auto). Auto only controls temperature, fan speed, and which vents to direct airflow to.
      04-07-2020, 08:08 AM   #29
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
But it's continuously burning gas since AC is on correct?
Yes, it will impact in MPG but how much?...... probably not as much as my mad right foot moments I would guess and as said above it is just so more convenient to let it control the temp....

But we are all entitled to our views and how we drive our cars.....
I agree with this, but it's strange that bmw tries to make the obnoxious stop-start feature as much a default setting as their market will tolerate. They do this for the sake of fuel efficiency and emissions, yet they also make it more convoluted to turn off the AC - which decreases fuel efficiency.
Appreciate 0