Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications '23 340i - Exhaust noticeably different after software update?

07-11-2023, 03:46 PM   #23
Jnasratyar
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M340i

Garage List
2023 BMW M340i  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryann View Post
This is what burbles sound like from the exhaust with a catless downpipe and MPE.
Before I flashed the ECU, there were 0 pops coming from it. Verified with video, 0 burbles.
This is the GTS burble setting, I no longer have the burbles this aggressive lol.
https://youtube.com/shorts/_5FDINnXdhk?feature=share
Holy fuck that sounds insane, can’t wait to enable oem pops when I unlock mine.
Appreciate 2
      07-11-2023, 05:48 PM   #24
raf1dd
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is what burbles sound like from the exhaust with a catless downpipe and MPE.
Before I flashed the ECU, there were 0 pops coming from it. Verified with video, 0 burbles.
This is the GTS burble setting, I no longer have the burbles this aggressive lol.
dming u
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 06:47 PM   #25
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
If you have flashed you ecu the software update would wipe your flash
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 06:52 PM   #26
BLK.G20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340 Xdrive, 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
If you have flashed you ecu the software update would wipe your flash
OTA updates are turned off. I work at a dealer and the shop foreman confirmed that an update will not go onto the car unless it is physically updated. Had him double check software version today. He also turned off some other feature through ISTA that apparently cuts communication but I cannot remember what it was.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 08:09 PM   #27
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
OTA updates are turned off. I work at a dealer and the shop foreman confirmed that an update will not go onto the car unless it is physically updated. Had him double check software version today. He also turned off some other feature through ISTA that apparently cuts communication but I cannot remember what it was.
in that case your exhaust is not hot enough.

it needs to contact a fiery red exhaust pipe to explode into those noises.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 08:13 PM   #28
BLK.G20
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
in that case your exhaust is not hot enough.

it needs to contact a fiery red exhaust pipe to explode into those noises.
What?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 09:39 AM   #29
Jnasratyar
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M340i  [9.83]
Quote:
What?
No clue what that guy talking about, but when you said you work at a dealership, do you mean an actual BMW dealership? If so, would it be stupid for me to call a service advisor and tell them my car is unlocked and request them not to lock it again, or should I just stay away from the dealership all together after the unlock?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 10:03 AM   #30
BLK.G20
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnasratyar View Post
No clue what that guy talking about, but when you said you work at a dealership, do you mean an actual BMW dealership? If so, would it be stupid for me to call a service advisor and tell them my car is unlocked and request them not to lock it again, or should I just stay away from the dealership all together after the unlock?
Yes, I work at a BMW dealership. You can continue to go to dealerships, it's easy when you have a service advisor who is familiar with tuned cars and what can and cannot be done to them. All you have to do is request that no programing be done and they usually will no have a problem with that. Also turn off OTA updates if you haven't already. You can also buy OBD2 plugs so it reminds the tech if they try and plug in. Be mindful however, any issue that will cause them to need to plug in and use ISTA will automatically flag the VIN.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2023, 10:08 AM   #31
Jnasratyar
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M340i  [9.83]
Quote:
Yes, I work at a BMW dealership. You can continue to go to dealerships, it's easy when you have a service advisor who is familiar with tuned cars and what can and cannot be done to them. All you have to do is request that no programing be done and they usually will no have a problem with that. Also turn off OTA updates if you haven't already. You can also buy OBD2 plugs so it reminds the tech if they try and plug in. Be mindful however, any issue that will cause them to need to plug in and use ISTA will automatically flag the VIN.
Oh, cool. So say I go in for a routine maintenance oil change, or brake replacement, would that be something that they would need to plug in for? Last question, what does getting your VIN flagged mean? Like is that what just straight voids the warranty, or is it simply letting them know the ecu is modified?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 10:43 AM   #32
BLK.G20
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnasratyar View Post
Oh, cool. So say I go in for a routine maintenance oil change, or brake replacement, would that be something that they would need to plug in for? Last question, what does getting your VIN flagged mean? Like is that what just straight voids the warranty, or is it simply letting them know the ecu is modified?
Yeah so they will only plug in for diagnostics. They should not be connecting to the car for routine items you listed above. But something like Carplay issues, where they need to run test plans and update software, they will need to plug in. ECU tuning is not a blanket warranty void. Just because you are tuned doesn't mean BMW will toss your warranty out the window. But once they know your car is tuned, you are watched under a microscope. Every CEL or drivetrain issue is thoroughly diagnosed to see if they can attribute it to the tune. We had a tuned 2022 M8 comp come in for a CEL and DT malf and afer only being here for a couple hours, our regional BMW Technical service engineer (TSE) was called in just for the reason it was tuned. Still waiting for this car to be finished up lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 11:21 AM   #33
Jnasratyar
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M340i  [9.83]
Quote:
Yeah so they will only plug in for diagnostics. They should not be connecting to the car for routine items you listed above. But something like Carplay issues, where they need to run test plans and update software, they will need to plug in. ECU tuning is not a blanket warranty void. Just because you are tuned doesn't mean BMW will toss your warranty out the window. But once they know your car is tuned, you are watched under a microscope. Every CEL or drivetrain issue is thoroughly diagnosed to see if they can attribute it to the tune. We had a tuned 2022 M8 comp come in for a CEL and DT malf and afer only being here for a couple hours, our regional BMW Technical service engineer (TSE) was called in just for the reason it was tuned. Still waiting for this car to be finished up lol.
I don’t really plan to be bringing the car to the dealership really besides the free oil changes and brake change, so that’s good to know. The M8 situation sucks though, I’m only gonna be running a simple mhd ots map so I’m hoping it will mostly be smoother sailing. Thanks for the info, really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 10:55 PM   #34
ShadowedAngles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix

Quote:
How do you turn OTA updates off?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 06:39 AM   #35
BLK.G20
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowedAngles View Post
How do you turn OTA updates off?
Go to my BMW App--->settings--->turn off "Download automatically" and "Download via Wifi Only". I also turned off all data settings on the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 06:00 PM   #36
snopyy
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalisbu View Post
It's not just ASD, it does control the valve. Turning it on keeps the valve open in sport & sport+, when its off the valve only opens at 4k(?) RPM.
The iconic sound does not influence the operation of the exhaust flap while the car is in motion.

When the car is moving, the exhaust flap consistently opens when the engine exceeds 3000 rpm and closes when it drops below 3000 rpm. This behavior is observed regardless of the iconic sound and the selected driving mode, be it sports, comfort, or eco.

However, when the car is parked, the driving mode does have an impact on the flap operation. In sports mode, the flap opens irrespective of the rpm. Conversely, in comfort and eco modes, the flap remains closed, again regardless of the rpm.

These findings are based on experimental results obtained from a 2023 m340i, using sensor signals from an OBD2.

Last edited by snopyy; 07-15-2023 at 11:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 06:11 PM   #37
Jnasratyar
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M340i  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snopyy View Post
Iconic sound does not affect flap operation during car is moving.

The exhaust flap always opens above 3000 rpm and always closes below 3000 rpm during car is moving regardless of iconic sound and driving mode (sports, comfort, eco)

But during parking, the flap opens with sports mode regardless of rpm, comfort and eco mode close the flap regardless of rpm.

These are the experimental results with m340i 2023 using OBD2 sensor signals.

ChatGPT
Used Prompt Perfect
Here's a revised version of your Reddit post:

The iconic sound does not influence the operation of the exhaust flap while the car is in motion.

When the car is moving, the exhaust flap consistently opens when the engine exceeds 3000 rpm and closes when it drops below 3000 rpm. This behavior is observed regardless of the iconic sound and the selected driving mode, be it sports, comfort, or eco.

However, when the car is parked, the driving mode does have an impact on the flap operation. In sports mode, the flap opens irrespective of the rpm. Conversely, in comfort and eco modes, the flap remains closed, again regardless of the rpm.

These findings are based on experimental results obtained from a 2023 m340i, using sensor signals from an OBD2.
Idk, he was right tho, It does control the flap. After turning it back on and coding out ASD I can hear the valve opening and closing when I switch driving modes.
Appreciate 0