Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) M Performance Red Tow Strap

03-01-2024, 02:05 PM   #1
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330ix M Sport

Garage List
M Performance Red Tow Strap

Has anyone installed this M Performance red tow strap on their g20? I'm planning on doing some track events with the BMWCCA this season. I'm curious if this will fit both front and rear tow points? I can only find photos of the front on LCI not pre LCI.
Attached Images

03-08-2024, 03:19 AM   #2
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
There are two different versions... long and short.

long: https://ind-distribution.com/product...p-long-version

short: https://ind-distribution.com/product...-short-version

Check the suggested fitment and order accordingly I guess. Maybe your local shop would let you test fit? I can't imagine the threading is the issue - it's probably the length of the peg and fitting behind the cover. Shouldn't be an issue if you're only using at a track day.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 07:49 AM   #3
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
From IND

*LIMITED INVENTORY*

Genuine BMW M Performance Tow Strap in red with ///M Logo. Kit includes templates for trimming tow covers.

Application Guide:

G80 M3 Front and Rear
G82 / G83 M4 Front and Rear
G20 / G21 / G28 3-Series LCI ONLY Front and Rear
G22 / G23 / G26 4-Series Front

@ $271 pricetag you definitely want to make sure
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 08:14 AM   #4
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb74 View Post
Has anyone installed this M Performance red tow strap on their g20? I'm planning on doing some track events with the BMWCCA this season. I'm curious if this will fit both front and rear tow points? I can only find photos of the front on LCI not pre LCI.
Nice! Where are you planning to go with the CCA? Here in the Bay Area, the GGC CCA is going to Button Willow and Sonoma this season, possibly thunderhill sometime in fall.
      03-08-2024, 02:54 PM   #5
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet91 View Post
There are two different versions... long and short.

long: https://ind-distribution.com/product...p-long-version

short: https://ind-distribution.com/product...-short-version

Check the suggested fitment and order accordingly I guess. Maybe your local shop would let you test fit? I can't imagine the threading is the issue - it's probably the length of the peg and fitting behind the cover. Shouldn't be an issue if you're only using at a track day.
Pre LCI uses the short version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
From IND

*LIMITED INVENTORY*

Genuine BMW M Performance Tow Strap in red with ///M Logo. Kit includes templates for trimming tow covers.

Application Guide:

G80 M3 Front and Rear
G82 / G83 M4 Front and Rear
G20 / G21 / G28 3-Series LCI ONLY Front and Rear
G22 / G23 / G26 4-Series Front

@ $271 pricetag you definitely want to make sure
I ordered the short version from ECS tuning at $149.99 not sure why IND, Bimmerworld, and Autotechnics are marking this up to $271.00.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...p/72155a709f6/

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelerec View Post
Nice! Where are you planning to go with the CCA? Here in the Bay Area, the GGC CCA is going to Button Willow and Sonoma this season, possibly thunderhill sometime in fall.
In New Hampshire there is White Mountain CCA and Boston area CCA that I plan to run with. They both run at New Hampshire International Speedway, Lime Rock, and Club North Motorsports. https://clubmotorsports.com/
      03-15-2024, 03:46 PM   #6
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

I have some information on this. I bought two of the "long" ones for my Pre-LCI M340i (72155A57B31). I did this by mistake, because I didn't know there was a shorter versus for the pre-LCI (72155A709F6) and the "long" version I bought is for LCI. My results for the pre-LCI M340:

Front: "long" version fits and is basically flush with the bumper cover. While I doubt I would be able to fit my tow cover back over and cut a slit, this is perfect for my use with track days, since I'll just take the tow hook cover off.

Rear: this is where it gets interesting, since I thought I'd have no issues here. I screwed the "long one" in, but I only got about 3 threads in until I hit resistance. The tow hook eye was running into the rear bumper metal. I was not comfortable with only 3 of 7 threads engaging in a towing situation, so I ended up grinding 2-3 mm around the tow hook eye, and I was able to fully screw in. I do not believe the pre-lci tow hook (short one) would be able to fit in the rear at all, since it's too short.

So in summary, either will work for the front (with caveats) and the LCI one will work for the rear, but you'll need to modify it if you want all threads engaged.

I bought from https://paddleshifterz.com/ for around $140 each, plus shipping from Germany. The $270 some places are charging are not worth it at all.

Last edited by prostcfc; 03-15-2024 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 09:26 AM   #7
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostcfc View Post
I have some information on this. I bought two of the "long" ones for my Pre-LCI M340i (72155A57B31). I did this by mistake, because I didn't know there was a shorter versus for the pre-LCI (72155A709F6) and the "long" version I bought is for LCI. My results for the pre-LCI M340:

Front: "long" version fits and is basically flush with the bumper cover. While I doubt I would be able to fit my tow cover back over and cut a slit, this is perfect for my use with track days, since I'll just take the tow hook cover off.

Rear: this is where it gets interesting, since I thought I'd have no issues here. I screwed the "long one" in, but I only got about 3 threads in until I hit resistance. The tow hook eye was running into the rear bumper metal. I was not comfortable with only 3 of 7 threads engaging in a towing situation, so I ended up grinding 2-3 mm around the tow hook eye, and I was able to fully screw in. I do not believe the pre-lci tow hook (short one) would be able to fit in the rear at all, since it's too short.

So in summary, either will work for the front (with caveats) and the LCI one will work for the rear, but you'll need to modify it if you want all threads engaged.

I bought from https://paddleshifterz.com/ for around $140 each, plus shipping from Germany. The $270 some places are charging are not worth it at all.
Thank you for the insight. I have only ordered 1 for now. which I'm going to use on the front.
      03-18-2024, 10:58 AM   #8
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb74 View Post
Thank you for the insight. I have only ordered 1 for now. which I'm going to use on the front.
You could always use the OEM one that's in your trunk for the rear if you want something there. It doesn't poke out much at all.
Appreciate 0